Forums
Posted By: bobi1 Trimmimg Cat's Claws - 12th Apr 2010 9:22pm
I have never had to trim cats claws before but my 13 year old neutered male doesn't get out as much as he used to due to rheumatism and his nails are starting to catch on things like furniture and clothing. He hisses and growls cos he thinks someone is doing something to him so I feel I should clip them but don't know how. What tools do I need? I'm not looking forward to it as he can be crabby if you touch his paws frown.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Trimmimg Cat's Claws - 12th Apr 2010 9:44pm
no need to trim cats nails? should pull them out when scratching

Our cat pulls her nails out when scratching on the carpet,

she never goes out smile
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Trimmimg Cat's Claws - 12th Apr 2010 9:49pm
Hi, our cat is like yours, doesnt go out much and her nails recently became very long, catching on everything. I tried to have a look! she wasnt very happy. We took her to the vet in the end because I just wasnt confident in trimming them. The vet used what looked like special shaped scissors with round ends and trimmed them all. It cost about £9.00 but it was worth it. (the vet I use charges no consultation fee). Shes never used a scatch post. good luck
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Trimmimg Cat's Claws - 12th Apr 2010 10:11pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
no need to trim cats nails? should pull them out when scratching

Our cat pulls her nails out when scratching on the carpet,

she never goes out smile

We don't have any carpets which is probably half the problem. The cat used to keep them in trim when he used to go out a lot but all he does now is go out the back door then rattle the letter box at the front five minutes later. I didn't want to resort to the vet but going by what aegean said, looks like it is the sensible route. I don't fancy messing with my grumpy cat.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Trimmimg Cat's Claws - 13th Apr 2010 12:15am
Originally Posted by aegean
Hi, our cat is like yours, doesnt go out much and her nails recently became very long, catching on everything. I tried to have a look! she wasnt very happy. We took her to the vet in the end because I just wasnt confident in trimming them. The vet used what looked like special shaped scissors with round ends and trimmed them all. It cost about £9.00 but it was worth it. (the vet I use charges no consultation fee). Shes never used a scatch post. good luck

which vet is that aegean ?
Posted By: Tilly Re: Trimmimg Cat's Claws - 13th Apr 2010 12:18am
Originally Posted by bobi1
I have never had to trim cats claws before but my 13 year old neutered male doesn't get out as much as he used to due to rheumatism and his nails are starting to catch on things like furniture and clothing. He hisses and growls cos he thinks someone is doing something to him so I feel I should clip them but don't know how. What tools do I need? I'm not looking forward to it as he can be crabby if you touch his paws frown.

hope this helps bobi thumbsup
http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Trimmimg Cat's Claws - 13th Apr 2010 7:55pm
I used Tilly's link and followed the instructions. I managed to trim one paw before he got a bit narky. Will tackle the other one when he is feeling a bit more chilled. Wasn't as bad as I thought, but I'm not pushing my luck again tonight. Thanks Tilly thumbsup
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Trimmimg Cat's Claws - 13th Apr 2010 7:58pm
Birch Vets
Posted By: Tilly Re: Trimmimg Cat's Claws - 13th Apr 2010 8:35pm
Originally Posted by bobi1
I used Tilly's link and followed the instructions. I managed to trim one paw before he got a bit narky. Will tackle the other one when he is feeling a bit more chilled. Wasn't as bad as I thought, but I'm not pushing my luck again tonight. Thanks Tilly thumbsup

glad it helped thumbsup rather you than me tho laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral