Forums
Posted By: Tilly Birkenhead dog pound - 9th Apr 2010 10:53pm
could you please sign the petition to improve living condition for these poundies thank you..

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/507/petition-to-help-improve-birkenhead-council-kennels

it's like a black hole, very dark, no heating, cold brick walls and concrete floors to sleep on :-(

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/wirraldogs/DogsView.asp
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 9th Apr 2010 11:25pm
signed it Tilly.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 9th Apr 2010 11:27pm
Originally Posted by aegean
signed it Tilly.

thanks hun thumbsup
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 9th Apr 2010 11:32pm
Ive also forwarded it on to a couple of doggy people who'll def sign it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 1:32am
Signed it but I don't understand what the second link is in aid of!
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 1:36am
Originally Posted by willjb
Signed it but I don't understand what the second link is in aid of!

thanks thumbsup
the 2nd link just takes you to the dog pound yes
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 1:41am
Oh, I thought it was going to be a live cam of the pound. Would have been a bit of a 'shoot themselves in the foot' moment.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 1:51am
Oh, I thought it was going to be a live cam of the pound. Would have been a bit of a 'shoot themselves in the foot' moment.

I don't know why you thought they would have a live cam there think
but you have given me an idea thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 1:59am
I didn't think they would but with you having a link after saying they live in poor conditions, I thought you were giving proof of the conditions.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 2:11am
I didn't think they would but with you having a link after saying they live in poor conditions, I thought you were giving proof of the conditions.

the conditions they live in are worse than in the photo's frown that is a yard where they are first taken to.
they have no bedding to lie on just concrete floor,in a small square brick like stall, no windows, no heating, no light, basic crap to eat, not exercised, not cuddled. This is the last thing a lot of these dog see before being put to sleep. i want to help them have a little COMFORT/CARE and DIGNITY before that happens. if you want more proof. just go there.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 2:16am
Signed.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 2:19am
I don't need any more proof, I take your word for it! I don't doubt what you say and I can see that you are passionate about it. I'm not a dog person but I believe all living creatures should be treated fairly, that's why I signed the petition.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 2:21am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Signed.

Thanks Hun. thumbsup I knew I could rely on you coz you have said you own 2 rescue dogs..
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 2:22am
I don't need any more proof, I take your word for it! I don't doubt what you say and I can see that you are passionate about it. I'm not a dog person but I believe all living creatures should be treated fairly, that's why I signed the petition.

Thanks again smile
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 9:32am
just signed it.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 1:10pm
Originally Posted by chris7777
just signed it.

thank you Chris thumbsup
Posted By: raymondo Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 5:46pm
sighned and sealed
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 6:18pm
Tilly Ive got several other peeps to sign it for you and the poor dogs.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 6:20pm
Originally Posted by raymondo
sighned and sealed

thank you thumbsup
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 6:21pm
Originally Posted by aegean
Tilly Ive got several other peeps to sign it for you and the poor dogs.

thats great aegean thanks
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 6:30pm
signed it Tilly. thumbsup
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 7:32pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
signed it Tilly. thumbsup

Thank you TC thumbsup
Posted By: cherrypie Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 9:16pm
Signed smile
Posted By: angelina Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 9:19pm
Hi Tilley, been and signed it. My boy came from the pound. I visited for about three months when I was looking for a dog. Its a sad pitiful place , I would have taken them all home if I could
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 10th Apr 2010 9:23pm
thanks Cherrypie thumbsup

thanks also angelina. God bless yer for choosing a poundie thumbsup
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 11th Apr 2010 12:12am
Tilly- is there anyway of clocking the amount of sigs on this site? Is there a time limit etc?
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 11th Apr 2010 12:21am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Tilly- is there anyway of clocking the amount of sigs on this site? Is there a time limit etc?

there is a scale on the right hand side. up to now it says
59 signatures!
no, there is no time limit, but we want ideally 500 sigs or more, but I said to the sponsor of the petition we should just take what ever amount we have by the beginning to middle of May and present it to WBC.

Posted By: flycaster Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 11th Apr 2010 4:49pm
I have signed the petition. I left Birkenhead many years ago. The score with the dogpound at that time was that the abandonded/discarded animals were kept there for just a few weeks, then when a queue started to form, those at the front, who had been there the longest, were euthanised.It would appear that 40 years on xxxx-all has changed. I dare not look at the pictures. I have, over the last 40 years, been forced to allow the vet, on his advice to "put to sleep", ( in my book that is kill) what had been my Best friends. Can volunteers not be found to take these poor animals for walks, give them a treat or 2. some friendly, caring ,human contact?? This has totally spoilt my day.Behind me, as I type this are the revered ashes ,in their casks of my 3 much loved companions.This has made me feel even worse.
Posted By: starakita Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 11th Apr 2010 6:17pm
signed the petition. my dog spent the night there a couple of years ago. my daughter was looking after her at our house while we had an easter break with our three youngest kids. she got out in the early hours to take herself to the park. luckily some people new who she was but didnt know were she lived, so she went to the pound. my dad picked her up and said hed never seen her looking so miserable.
Posted By: angelina Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 11th Apr 2010 8:04pm
Thing with the pound is the cash they recieve comes out of the council budget. When I got my dog I wanted to donate some money, more then they ask for, anyway I was told not to because if I did it would have to go into the Lord mayors fund. So the best way to help the pound is to donate food, toys , blankets, leads any doggie items. That atleast gives the inmates a bit more to look forward to.

Attached picture 196.JPG
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 12th Apr 2010 1:00am
Originally Posted by flycaster
Can volunteers not be found to take these poor animals for walks, give them a treat or 2. some friendly, caring ,human contact?? This has totally spoilt my day.Behind me, as I type this are the revered ashes ,in their casks of my 3 much loved companions.This has made me feel even worse.

sorry about the loss of your dogs and sorry this spoilt your day.
they wont take on volounteers because of Insurance or something I have tried and tried but to no avail. it's not easy getting hold of the dog warden there either they never pick the bloody phone up.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 12th Apr 2010 1:31am
Originally Posted by angelina
Thing with the pound is the cash they recieve comes out of the council budget. When I got my dog I wanted to donate some money, more then they ask for, anyway I was told not to because if I did it would have to go into the Lord mayors fund. So the best way to help the pound is to donate food, toys , blankets, leads any doggie items. That atleast gives the inmates a bit more to look forward to.

that's true angelina. Council pounds are not a charity run thing so any money they get goes to the council to pay vets and stuff, it's wrong in my opinion.
but what really makes my blood boil tho is the r***a charity have in the last four years alone, received a total income of £444,664,000. and smaller charity's that do a lot more than they do have to beg for blankets and food etc.
Posted By: Nienna Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 12th Apr 2010 8:57am
Have signed.

I have been to the kennels in a capacity as volunteer for a specific animal rescue...to take on dogs to be fostered by this rescue etc..and the kennels do need up dating. They are dark and abysmil in places and it is upsetting to see the environment the dogs have to live in.
Any dealings I have had with the kennel staff have been positive though and they do their best with the amenities they are given.
The whole place does need total refurb but as is so often the case funding is the issue.
I hope the petition goes some way to help get funding and create a better place for the poor dogs who end up there.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 12th Apr 2010 12:09pm
Whilst I agree with you that the kennels are pretty grim,I must inform you that the kennels DO have heating (they have recently had a new boiler fitted), the dogs DON'T sleep on concrete floors, they all have beds and bedding and there is ample light although mainly artificial.The staff do a stirling job with limited resources, and no I don't work there.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 12th Apr 2010 12:33pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Whilst I agree with you that the kennels are pretty grim,I must inform you that the kennels DO have heating (they have recently had a new boiler fitted), the dogs DON'T sleep on concrete floors, they all have beds and bedding and there is ample light although mainly artificial.The staff do a stirling job with limited resources, and no I don't work there.

no one doubts the staff do try with the limited resources they have, however things need to change there, WBC have enough for stupid clown statues in the middle of New Brighton, surely they could come up with a new building for the dogs. for some this place is the last thing they see before being PTS.
I too hope this petition gets them off their arses and do something. I am off to the kennels tomorrow so will let you all know what it's like there now.

I even emailed the petition link to the dog warden too.
Posted By: daisy_kat Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 12th Apr 2010 2:01pm
me too!
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 12th Apr 2010 8:48pm
Originally Posted by daisy_kat
me too!

thanks daisy kat thumbsup
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 12th Apr 2010 10:04pm
just signed the petition dont own a dog but ithink all animals should be treated with kindness hate animal cruelty
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 13th Apr 2010 12:13am
Originally Posted by oscarpops
just signed the petition dont own a dog but ithink all animals should be treated with kindness hate animal cruelty

Thanks oscar happy
Posted By: muchb Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 9th May 2010 12:00pm
Signed petition - btw, it seems that some dogs are fostered out while waiting for a home, so if you want to help that might be an option.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 9th May 2010 1:26pm
Originally Posted by muchb
Signed petition - btw, it seems that some dogs are fostered out while waiting for a home, so if you want to help that might be an option.

the dogs that are in foster are nothing to do with the pound.
they belong to Wirral Animal Welfare,
[another great cause that needs support] they don't have a web site so they have permission to advertise dogs in foster homes on the pounds web site
thanks for signing the petition muchb happy
Posted By: muchb Re: Birkenhead dog pound - 9th May 2010 9:41pm
That's a shame, would be good if pound would release some dogs to foster carers or another rescue so they didn't have to stay in kennels beyond the statuary 7 days.
Not that I can offer to foster - only a temporary wirralian.
I can't believe they won't allow volunteer walkers either. If they're worried about bites etc - they only have to ask volunteers to sign a disclaimer.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral