Forums
Posted By: Tilly Government wants competence tests............... - 28th Feb 2010 3:26pm
Now the Government wants competence tests before you can be a dog owner

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...etence-test-dog-owner.html#ixzz0gqOCMBxg

Maybe they should try that before some people have babies!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Government wants competence tests............... - 28th Feb 2010 3:59pm
A good point !!
I don't think dog owership needs completion of competency skills , but something needs to be done about dogs that just run up to yours when yours is on a leash, as this has happened to us alot lately and three times my dog has been bitten. As a dog owner I would never let my off leash dog approach a dog on leash as the leashed dog is going to be protective of its owner. The leashed dog may also be reactive to other dogs and then bite or attack.It is important that dogs have good social skills and these come from the owner.
Its a good idea, but I think it should be for owners of known dangerous dogs etc.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Government wants competence tests............... - 28th Feb 2010 11:45pm
My mate in Canada says there are certain parks that are only allowed for dogs off leash. By that I mean it isn't a park meant for kids and toddlers running around having fun. I thought this was a great idea, and maybe if these places were available then owners might not be forced to pick up after their dog as the place was specifically for dog owners and not families with kids. Nice in theory maybe?
Have any of these people on the goverment who support this ever met the General Public?
You can sit them down to as many tests as you like - but it won`t stop cruelty, or stupidity, or greed.
The only thing that will fight that is, to make the Police prosecute animal abuse.
The Test is a middle class sop to make people feel they are in control (it wouldn`t be in the Daily Mail recently otherwise).
The Underclass will ignore it. The criminals will exploit it.
All it will do is to limit dog ownership - according to the whim of whatever is vote-grabblingly exciting at the time.
Ban more than 2 dogs? Ban dogs in towns? ban bigger dogs? Ban people renting with dogs? Ban off-lead dogs? These are all very real possibilities with this proposal.
What a crazy idea - how would they police it for a start think

For genuine dog lovers / keepers it would be adhered to, probably involving a small tax / fee [Linked Image]

This fee would then help pay for the enforcement of those causing problems at the moment who of course would ignore it. Another case of the government getting the public to pay for the ignorance / bloody mindedness of others.
Originally Posted by StuyMac
What a crazy idea - how would they police it for a start think

For genuine dog lovers / keepers it would be adhered to, probably involving a small tax / fee [Linked Image]

This fee would then help pay for the enforcement of those causing problems at the moment who of course would ignore it. Another case of the government getting the public to pay for the ignorance / bloody mindedness of others.

exactly what i was thinking too. StuyMac!
I think the competance test is a stupid idea...it will cost money to set up and we, the responsible owners will pay for it. Then the government will see it as another source of revenue and the cost to us will be even higher.

Microchipping and third party OK! but how that stops dog attacks or irresponsible owners god only knows!
Without a load of people to check every dog, it won't work.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral