Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Budgies arn't boring! - 3rd Jul 2009 5:16pm
I resisted getting a budgie coz i thought it would be boring! Its not!
We got a great little bird, chirpy happy little thing-its great! Ive tryed lookhng on the net for 'identifying' what behaviour patterns mean? Ie it twirls round and round on its perch!? Some are obvious like-flapping its wings-wants to come out.
Cocking its head-listening etc
Anyone know of a good link?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 3rd Jul 2009 5:43pm
Mum has a Budgie and his is name is Jacko. He thinks he's a bat cos he spends most of the time hanging upside from the top of the cage!

Barmy budgie!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 3rd Jul 2009 5:50pm
Haha @ barmy budgie! Ge fell asleep upside down from the light wire hanging from the ceiling!!
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 4th Jul 2009 8:15am
Budgies are great pets. we have had one for 10 years now

he is old now and not as mobile as he used to be

but in his heyday he was great to watch, and with lots and lots of talking, budgies can talk! not like parrots but its definatly noticible if i can think on ill upload a video of it talking.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 4th Jul 2009 10:52am
I doubt there is literature on the characters and their meaning because each and every budgie is an individual with its own personality. It's own trait. No two budgies are ever the same!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 4th Jul 2009 11:16am
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
I doubt there is literature on the characters and their meaning because each and every budgie is an individual with its own personality. It's own trait. No two budgies are ever the same!

withthat
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 4th Jul 2009 3:53pm
Im amazed how strong his little legs must be by the posistions he gets in. Lol
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 4th Jul 2009 4:26pm
i've got a budgie myself. he's an insane bird that laughs at you bobbing his head up and down and tries to get his bell pregnant.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 4th Jul 2009 7:41pm
Budgies arwn't boring, just add a bit of Blackbean sauce and fried rice and they make an interesting meal, a lot less boring than Chicken.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 4th Jul 2009 9:54pm
Can't be much meat on a budgie Wheels...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 5th Jul 2009 1:01am
..may I add that you never add gin to the budgie seed cos they fly right into a window.

Please, don't ask.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Oct 2009 8:23pm
I was out-voted and so we now have a new budgie- Madge- got her from brother-in-laws mate who has an aviary. Shes 13 weeks old and cant fly? Well, she can but not for long+ drops to the deck? Also, Gee the ova budgie got onto landing 'perches' straightaway and we got him at 10 weeks?
So, is Madge just a bit gormless??
Posted By: kimpri Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Oct 2009 9:16pm
someone has put aviary out on pavement opposite flaybirck cem just past swings looks good wire mesh on panels if anyone's interested worth a look?
Posted By: bri445 Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Oct 2009 11:51pm
Can be an interesting hobby breeding them in an aviary and exhibiting, if you've got the time.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Oct 2009 11:55pm
Must be like a nutter asylum!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Oct 2009 1:34pm
Originally Posted by WADDI
Budgies arwn't boring, just add a bit of Blackbean sauce and fried rice and they make an interesting meal, a lot less boring than Chicken.

they still taste like chicken though. It must be the sauce and rice that makes it a bit different.
happy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Oct 2009 1:39pm
I have a cat, so I think a budgie flying round would provide me with much entertainment - Silvester and Tweety style...
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Oct 2009 1:46pm
Originally Posted by Beaker
I have a cat, so I think a budgie flying round would provide me with much entertainment - Silvester and Tweety style...

Cats taste like chicken too.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Oct 2009 1:48pm
Madge can fly a bit now dusent land with any panache tho!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Oct 2009 1:49pm
A budgie doing a carrier landing, now that could be funny.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Oct 2009 2:03pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
gee does! madge just drops behind the tele, fishtank or wotever and sits there cheeping to be rescued
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Oct 2009 3:00pm
A mate, who I met last week after about 25 years (see a previous post) had a lovely bright yellow budgie. The married quarters weren't so good then, anyway, he went on leave with his family and another bloke lit his parafin heater for them returning so that they had a nice warm house when they got back. There must have been a blow back or something because the burning parafin turned into black smuts which floated all around the room and blackened everything, including the budgie. Now I am not a cruel man but the budgie sitting on the perch, black as the ace of spades, and these two little pink eyes blinking now and again
was something to see and laugh your head off at. It took a vet to clean it off, but what a scream. It survived unscathed but it cost my oppo a lot of money to get his quarter cleaned.
Posted By: PLUSONE Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 13th Oct 2009 1:50pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
gee does! madge just drops behind the tele, fishtank or wotever and sits there cheeping to be rescued
yer!! I dont see you pulling everythink out and trying to grab her
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 2nd Dec 2009 9:10pm
Madge hasnt bin out the cage for few days-nowt fresh coz she cant fly very well. Noticed there sumfink wrong wiv her left wing, she cant fly atall+ there sumfink knobbly on the left wing! Any advice?
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 6th Dec 2009 1:03am
Take her the vets. No ones got bk to ya and she`s only young. Sooner the better.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 6th Dec 2009 1:46am
Madge hasnt bin out the cage for few days-nowt fresh coz she cant fly very well. Noticed there sumfink wrong wiv her left wing, she cant fly atall+ there sumfink knobbly on the left wing! Any advice?

They can fly as soon as they leave nestbox think its 6 weeks old? vets charge you what they like these days?
Take her to RSPCA in Livingstone st b/head,
Take you if you want smile
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 7th Dec 2009 12:01am
That`s what I meant,just get her seen to. My cat had trouble a few weeks ago when he got runover and rspca was shut. I went to Birch vets. So good.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 7th Dec 2009 12:09am
Will sort it. Keep you posted. Shes eatin+ drinkin+ chirpin??
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Dec 2009 12:00am
Will sort it. Keep you posted. Shes eatin+ drinkin+ chirpin??

How`s madge?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Dec 2009 12:12am
alive + functional + happy. thanx hun xxx
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Dec 2009 12:43am
brilliant. Wot was up with her?
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Dec 2009 12:52am
I got to the end of page 1 of the thread then got bored. was gonna add that they make too much noise for me so if it's been covered I apologise but I'm new and cba following old threads from day one. Oh and budgies and net curtains don't mix-ask me nan!
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Dec 2009 11:54pm
Who`s ya nan?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Dec 2009 12:02am
I had a school friend who's nan had a budgie but it died because it used to sit on the sofa and sneak behind the cushions for a kip. One day she leaned on it. Bye bye budgie.
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Dec 2009 12:44am
omg! lol! That`s horrible but funny! I had a mate who minded the `neighbours budgie` Wasn`t allowed to get it out the cage but did when mum wasn`t around, gabbin to neighbour. Heard mum comin back in, grabbed budgie, legs were left on carpet, nuff said. Poo hit fan.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Dec 2009 12:53am
pMsL @ legs left on carpet!!!
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Dec 2009 12:59am
I do laff but feel terrible. Poor bird.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 12th Dec 2009 1:03am
They do have tiny ickle legs tho for such rotund bodies. Awww
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 1:37am
Madge died few weekr back + Gee has gone craaazzzzy! Whereas he used to land on bonce/arm etc + bob about a bit-now he pecks feck out of ya!! And it hurts! Drew blood once or twice, the nasty cant!!
Posted By: Tilly Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 1:46am
is Gee too old for him to have a new madge smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 1:57am
Gee is about 6 months old! I dunno-i think he's ok now. Deffo aware when madge died (put her in a mini whiskey tin coffin) and he was pecking like mad! I think he happy wiv his own mirror image-got a BIG mirror and plus did him a ledge.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 2:05am
if he is used to the company of another bird he may fret and pull his feathers out yes if he starts doing that then it's time for a new Madge
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 2:10am
Despite the assaults-i just love how his personality+ confidence has grown. He parks on the dogs-and they too-look at me as if to say 'mum, am not fussed' and i say 'niìccce!' and they tolerate nutter-bird. Awww!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 2:14am
Originally Posted by Tilly
if he is used to the company of another bird he may fret and pull his feathers out yes if he starts doing that then it's time for a new Madge
hmmmm.
Plusone-1
Rudebox-0

He has been 'moulting'??? Thanks-looks like gee due a nu mrs!
Posted By: Tilly Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 2:19am
Despite the assaults-i just love how his personality+ confidence has grown. He parks on the dogs-and they too-look at me as if to say 'mum, am not fussed' and i say 'niìccce!' and they tolerate nutter-bird. Awww!

awwww you sound as mad as me laffin
i know what my dogs are thinking too yes
but if a bird landed on their head they would of eaten it before i even got a N nono for no out
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 2:25am
He was just parked on my elbow so i drew him in for a kiss- and he BIT me lip!! Drew blood, only a speck tho-still feckin hurt!!
Grrr-dusnt he realise that its down to me to pick him a fitty?!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 2:27am
Im gna get him a fugly one! Grrr. Nasty bird.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 2:38am
Im gna get him a fugly one! Grrr. Nasty bird.

raftl the fuglier the better
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 11:31am
I use to have a budgie that sat on my dog, it was really funny to watch! Or her would land on the ground and run along the carpet to peck the dog's paws raftl

He also used to sit on my knitting needles when I was knitting lol

Rude - seriously, be careful cos there is a dodgy illness that you can get from budgies. My friend had it when we were at school and she was off for weeks.

Posted By: kimpri Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 9th Jan 2010 12:09pm
There are diseases that can be transferred to humans from psittacine birds, such as parrots and budgies, such as a viral infection.
In addition, people can also show an allergic reaction to feathers and other bird products. This condition is often called pigeon fanciers or budgie fancier's lung.
However, the most serious is called psittacosis. With this disease, an agent called Chlamydia psittaci causes it, and the disease is also called ornithosis.
Birds can be asymptomatic carriers, and may only fall ill when upset, as stress is a major component in all avian diseases.
The clinical signs of psittacosis are wide ranging. Some birds affected with it appear quite healthy, but others in the acute stage of the disease can show some or all of the following signs
• Severe depression
• Ruffled feathers
• Lack of appetite
• Problems breathing
• A discharge from the eyes and nose
• Watery diarrhoea
Psittacosis is a very unpredictable disease but can be very contagious and it can cause a serious illness in humans. However, people can work in pet shops for years without being affected!
The symptoms in humans range from mild flu-like symptoms to a severe generalised infection with complications that can affect the brain, blood and kidneys.
The illness often begins with a chill, fever and headache in the front of the head. There is often a cough and occasionally there is diarrhoea. If untreated, the condition can lead to kidney failure and

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-172363/What-diseases-catch-budgies.html#ixzz0c7GsyJTt
Posted By: J800NN0 Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 15th Mar 2010 5:51pm
Iv just adopted a budgie that cant fly, but still he climes as high as he can, looks around considering his options and then jumps!! He gives his wings a little shake but lands straight on his chest with a lil squeek! Im so surprised he's not dead yet.

Oh yeah I need a cage for him if anyone has one?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 1:00pm
frown frown gutted. Me budgie escaped. All happened in a split second frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 1:32pm
frown frown gutted. Me budgie escaped. All happened in a split second frown

They have been known to come back rude.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 1:51pm
All birds have "bird GPS" built in, so there's always a chance, especially if there is anything that happens at a routine time 'cos birds also have "bird clocks" built in, it makes you wonder how they can make them so small.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 3:25pm
Got front and back doors open and a sliver of hope frown
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 3:55pm
if it had a little bell in the cage that it played with try ringing it - might work
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 4:24pm
Cage outside and playing birdsong which used to get him chatty and excited.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 4:27pm
Hope you get him back rude, guttered for you frown
Posted By: DavidB Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 4:42pm
I got a budgie on my birthday when I was 8. It died a few months later, I don't think I've been as gutted as I was that day, it took me months to get over it!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 7:38pm
gutted for ya queen!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 8:38pm
Thanks people. I cant face reading all of this thread but i remember starting it when i was a bit reluctant at plus' decision to get a budge. I grew to love that ickle furry mo-fo. Loved his personality and quirks. A few wikis met our Gee and liked him-kimpri and mini kimpri, derek, croc, bonzo and don
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 8:41pm
not back then?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 9:00pm
Nopers frown gotta few 'posters' to put around 2m. Leaving cage out overnight....he took off so fast tho and as he was 'free' 90 p.c of the time in the front room, i would think he has strong wings.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 9:06pm
gutted girl!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 11th Sep 2010 9:07pm
We all know the likely outcome but im hoping somebody has found him and has put an ad in a local shop window.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 9:11pm
Well get this. Got an email and a pic from a woman saying she found my budge. Rang her up coz IT IS indeed our bird. Had a chat bout him, the mannerisms etc the same!! Anyway this is the freaky bit. He only managed-just- to get himself to Great Yarmouth!!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 9:22pm
maybe he fancied a holiday
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 9:24pm
Posted By: Tilly Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 9:41pm
Well get this. Got an email and a pic from a woman saying she found my budge. Rang her up coz IT IS indeed our bird. Had a chat bout him, the mannerisms etc the same!! Anyway this is the freaky bit. He only managed-just- to get himself to Great Yarmouth!!

oshocked how come someone from great yarmouth knew you had lost your budgie laugh
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 10:01pm
I put him on some lost pets website. At first, i was putting my shoes on and looking for his box, whilst on the phone to her. Lol! Obviously, she got an accent but i thought she said Liscard! She 10 mile west of g.y.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 10:04pm
wow!! thats some bloody budgie hun, he must of dodged loads of killers to get that far bless him, bet he was knackered too.
so what now? are you gonna go to G.Y for him??
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 10:06pm
Poor Gee was exhausted. She found him just sitting on her grass and was able to pick him up, no problem. And she got 8 cats!!! Her next door neighbor has got him now. An animal and bird lover. laugh
Posted By: Tilly Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 10:11pm
Poor Gee was exhausted. She found him just sitting on her grass and was able to pick him up, no problem. And she got 8 cats!!! Her next door neighbor has got him now. An animal and bird lover. laugh

awww yer not gonna get him back then? frown
someone should get in touch with the media about how far he managed to fly, he's a little hero laugh
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 10:14pm
Ah well this is the thing...would such a long journey home kill him?? Can budgies be sedated for such a purpose?? Heads a bit wrecked but so so happy he alive!! laugh peeps may think im mad but i kinda knew he wasnt dead. He was free to come and go, thus a strong flyer and v.clever.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 10:19pm

awww yer not gonna get him back then? frown
someone should get in touch with the media about how far he managed to fly, he's a little hero laugh
Gna research whether it feasible to bring him back AND what a great idea re. The media! Will look into that! laugh
Posted By: Tilly Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 10:20pm
Ah well this is the thing...would such a long journey home kill him?? Can budgies be sedated for such a purpose?? Heads a bit wrecked but so so happy he alive!! laugh peeps may think im mad but i kinda knew he wasnt dead. He was free to come and go, thus a strong flyer and v.clever.

I don't think the journey home would kill him unless he had to fly back on his own again lol! I 'm glad he's still alive too at least you know he is safe until you decide what to do.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 10:24pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
Or an SAS course for Budgies raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Budgies arn't boring! - 21st Sep 2010 10:33pm

I don't think the journey home would kill him unless he had to fly back on his own again lol! I 'm glad he's still alive too at least you know he is safe until you decide what to do.
Do any of the u.e team, with transport, fancy a U.E ten miles west of Great Yarmouth?? wink raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral