Forums
Posted By: Snodvan cat flap - 19th Jan 2009 12:15pm
Has anyone any experience of fitting a catflap into a uPVC door?

A friend urgently needs a cat flap and since it is not my door I am a bit hesitant to simply "have a go".

I have loads of tools ie jig saw etc and it would be no problem with a wood door of course. However, a uPVC door is probably mostly hollow and the particular style has all sorts of decorative lumps moulded onto the plastic skin. Because the door is likely hollow there will be problems screwing the cat flap frame in place - although I guess the plugs designed for hollow walls etc will work ok because there will not be any strain or pressure on the thing once it is fitted & sealed in place with silicone.

Can anyone with experience of such things offer advice?

Attached picture Image009s.JPG
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: cat flap - 19th Jan 2009 12:18pm
just cut a hole in the door a bit smaller than you need and glue it to the door then seal it ?

easy
Posted By: Snodvan Re: cat flap - 19th Jan 2009 12:26pm
I was thinking that if after cutting the hole I find the door is hollow I could fill up some of that hollow with aerosol expanding polyurethan foam. That would give a bit of rigidity to the door in that area.

Snod
Posted By: Sanchez Re: cat flap - 19th Jan 2009 12:33pm
you will find it might already have a foam inside it, shouldnt be too hard though, just make sure you cut the hole right first time !
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: cat flap - 19th Jan 2009 12:56pm
I reckon both Robbo and yourself have got the job boxed,instead of glueing it use silicone which will act as an adhesive and will also seal it and weather proof it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cat flap - 19th Jan 2009 6:14pm
Originally Posted by Dava2479
I reckon both Robbo and yourself have got the job boxed,instead of glueing it use silicone which will act as an adhesive and will also seal it and weather proof it.

withstupid withthat
Posted By: hoseman Re: cat flap - 22nd Jan 2009 8:45pm
Info on the door is that they sandwich a compact foam sheet between the door, i used to reair one of the presses that did this, but dont know if it is for every door!! I guess it will be tho for insulation!
As sugested, i would go for a smaller hole, enlarge and use cavity fixings (or self tappers) and silicone!!
Good luck
Posted By: Snodvan Re: cat flap - 22nd Jan 2009 9:06pm
Thanks Folks

I guessed a foam fill system - but will never know until I open the thing up. I have been busy the last couple of days but tomorrow I intend

a. A chat with a double glazing company or two
b. A look at cat flaps in approriate shops & DIY places
c. All being well make a spacer frame for behind the cat flap to cope with those damned mouldings on the door concerned

Then I think it is goferit!

Snod
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: cat flap - 22nd Jan 2009 9:43pm
Even if you balls it up you can still put a window in it.lol.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: cat flap - 22nd Jan 2009 9:47pm
What - a 9" square window just above the lower sill?

Then the mog could see out but not get out!

Seriously, I think it will go ok. if it was MY door I would have done it by now and covered it up with Gaffa tape if I goofed. However, it is a posh house and not mine so I am being careful.

Snod
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: cat flap - 23rd Jan 2009 12:32am
Aye it should go ok mate,I don`t really see how you can goof it up bud.You`ll be fine. happy
Posted By: bert1 Re: cat flap - 23rd Jan 2009 7:50am
Give the bloody cat a key. Open the door cat "MeHow". The old ones are always the best
© Wirral-Wikiwirral