Forums
Posted By: jellebaby Aquariums! - 13th Jan 2008 10:43am

Was wondering if there were any local people who r into fishkeeping and really know their stuff who would be able to give me some info and advice? I've kept goldfish for abut ten years and my oldest one is about seven and a half which the woman at chester zoo aquarium said was quite good as they are hard to keep lol. Want advice about tank making, glass thickness needed, price, etc etc. Also would just like to pick someones brain on most aspects of fishkeeping really lol, bore someone to death hehe. I've got a few books but i find it much easier to be taught things by being shown than reading them especially when its really boring stuff working out measurements and water content blah blah blah, the chemical stuff goes in one ear and out the other. It's a woman thing i think? We want to do the interior design, choose the fish, make it look pretty and obviously want to give the fish the best treatment and care possible but don't really want to know the mechanics lol. Does that make sense? It makes sense to me anyhow lol.
Posted By: Mark Re: Aquariums! - 13th Jan 2008 12:09pm
Sorry Gold Fish aint my thing and my advise would probably
kill your fish frown

Hopefully someone will help you out wink

Isnt there a big Aquarium shop in Rock Ferry ?
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Aquariums! - 13th Jan 2008 12:51pm
the fish shop you might be thinking of mark ia andy's aquatics in new ferry.

Not sure how good they are at this sort of thing to be honest.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Aquariums! - 13th Jan 2008 1:06pm
Try visiting Blue Planet in Ellesmere Port. They must know all about it.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Aquariums! - 13th Jan 2008 6:04pm
All I know about fish is something about nitrates and nitrites

nitrates = good

nitrites = bad

or was it the other way around? think

sorry I can't help
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Aquariums! - 13th Jan 2008 6:08pm
Well joe glad to see you had a positive impression there
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Aquariums! - 13th Jan 2008 9:57pm
Andy's Aquatics is a good place to go, take a water sample down for them to check.

as for glass thickness it will depend on the size of tank. for a custom tank you could try Waterworld but they are expensive.

Their is an old swimming baths in Tuebrook (i think) Liverpool which sell complet tanks at very good prices, will find the number for them tomorrow if you want.

iirc a 3ft corner unit costs complete at 300-350 quid.

Will do another post for nitrates and the like......
Posted By: Waddi Re: Aquariums! - 21st Jan 2008 9:54pm
Phil, Would that be Lister Drive? My 1st ferrets parents came from there.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Aquariums! - 21st Jan 2008 9:56pm
Do you still have ferrets matey?
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Aquariums! - 21st Jan 2008 10:19pm
Hmm..had a few bad experiences with Andys aquatics...
Randomly the best place as far as im concerned is the pet shop on oxton rd..Ian is really nice and helpfull and can get you anything you want inc a custom tank
Failing that waterworld on the old chester rd..near to Willaston isnt bad either

Ive got a 60l biorb..not cheap but look v classy!
(i got mine cheap as someone was selling one at work!)

Only tip is dont go for anything complicated like topical or marine if you havent had anything like that before...and dont put too mnay fish in it straight away of the ammonia levels build up v quickly and kill everything!
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Aquariums! - 22nd Jan 2008 9:42am
Originally Posted by The_WadFather
Phil, Would that be Lister Drive? My 1st ferrets parents came from there.

i think Wad.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Aquariums! - 1st Jan 2009 12:30pm
The aquarium shop at Carr Farm on the Meols stretch has a lot of tanks, and the prices are reasonable, also they will give you all the help and advise you could wish for.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Aquariums! - 1st Jan 2009 12:37pm
Yeah but don't buy fish from there. Every fish I have ever bought from them was diseased.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Aquariums! - 1st Jan 2009 12:53pm
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The aquarium shop at Carr Farm on the Meols stretch has a lot of tanks, and the prices are reasonable, also they will give you all the help and advise you could wish for.

Yeah, practically force advise onto you more like, don`t bother!
If you want healthy fish goto Andys Aqautics in Rock ferry.

Another thing, get a Juwel tank, they have everything you need and are nice looking well built tanks wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Aquariums! - 1st Jan 2009 1:01pm
I used to have a juwel vision 260 with 8 red bellied pirahnahs, yerr they kick ass!

They were the size of 5 pence peices when i bought em little munchkins, they just grew n grew n grew omg leathal fish, feed em anything, they like to kill.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Aquariums! - 1st Jan 2009 3:26pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Yeah, practically force advise onto you more like, don`t bother!
If you want healthy fish goto Andys Aqautics in Rock ferry.

withthat yumyum
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Aquariums! - 1st Jan 2009 7:06pm
If anyone is thinking of starting and want a tropical tank kit then Aldi are selling a good start kit at the moment for £38.

The tank and lid looks like they were built by the same people as ours which is a Fluval, don't know what the pump and heater are like.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Aquariums! - 1st Jan 2009 7:12pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
If anyone is thinking of starting and want a tropical tank kit then Aldi are selling a good start kit at the moment for £38.

The tank and lid looks like they were built by the same people as ours which is a Fluval, don't know what the pump and heater are like.

Thanks friend, me and the missus are (well she) setting up a new aquarium again, this should shut her up so i can have my pirahnahs again, i want pirahnahs but she wants troprical no

good to have 2 tanks, mine wont starve then wink

*joke*
Posted By: PhilH Re: Aquariums! - 2nd Jan 2009 1:29am
My son has one wasting away in my back garden. Its covered up and complete with one of them sponge pretend rock backgrounds and has pump , filter and heater etc. The glass needs cleaning but is perfect otherwise.

That rock background cost £45 two years ago as a christmas present for him.I know he doesent want to give it away but hes not trying to sell either. The price will be more than good value as it is going next week (Bidston tip)if he leaves it there!

Pm me if you are interested and you can speak to him......he is under orders to get it out of our way by the end of next week!

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Aquariums! - 2nd Jan 2009 9:15pm
Thanks ebay thumbsup

Yerrr, this is a tank wink

[Linked Image]

Nice, now i need to shut her up think

Visit that supermarket and get her that starter kit methinks, she can have all the gay fish that come with this whilst i can get my pirahnahs laugh

[Linked Image]

raftl
Posted By: Kittykatt2008 Re: Aquariums! - 10th Feb 2009 10:18pm
What kinda fish you wanting to keep? I keep tropical fish and have a comunity tank, with the usual in, neons, figher fish, platys etc ooohhh and i have Miniture bristle nose plecs if anyones intrested.. free to good home as mine wont stop breeding!! there driving me nuts.. ha ha
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Aquariums! - 10th Feb 2009 11:09pm
Hmmm, we keep tropical fish but at the moment we are having a problem since putting a weekend food tablet in our tank frown

Our prized Tiger barb has died frown
He was huuuge!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have to get another tank before i can get piranahas as there are quite a few fish in this tank they will need a pretty big tank to be transfered.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Aquariums! - 11th Feb 2009 10:21am
Friend of mine is giving me their 2 year old 5 ft tank, stand. pump, gravel and drift wood in the next week or two.

I am so excited, not sure where i will be able to fit it yet though lol.
Posted By: Kittykatt2008 Re: Aquariums! - 12th Feb 2009 12:45pm
Oh noooo .. i've used the 7days tablets once but was worried as my plecs are so greedy that they'd gobble it up in a few days..but they worked out ok.. i prob wont used them again tho. as worried that much i had someone check on them every other day so probably could have just got them to feed them instead!!

Your brave gettin piranahas.. my mate has cichilids and you wont get me putting my hand in there tank lol..id never wanna clean a piranahas tank out.. yikes smile

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Aquariums! - 12th Feb 2009 1:44pm
I have used the "Supa Vacation Fish Food" a few times, need to put them in a day or two before you go away but they work fine for my tropical. I normally put in two blocks on my 40l tank, twice the reccomended. The blocks are like a chalk (actually calcium sulphate) with food bits inside - the fish can't get greedy as the block has to dissolve to release. They last two weeks, afterwards, need to "vaccuum" the chalk particles which sink in the stones. These are dirt cheap as well, about a squid each (couldn't resist the pun).

They also do a weekend version of these.

http://www.supa-aquatics.co.uk/

On the instructions it mentions introducing plants as an alternative food source - has anyone tried this - if so what plants?

Other paste/gel types of long term food have clouded my water and taken weeks to stabilise again.
Posted By: Kittykatt2008 Re: Aquariums! - 12th Feb 2009 1:51pm
i'll have to give them ago next time i go campin, my tank is 130l so i have to buy a few so a quid each sounds good to me laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral