Forums
Posted By: fish5133 silver threepence - 7th Jul 2016 10:51pm
Weeding the allotment turned up a small grubby disc which was a silver threepence..chuffed. Funny how invaluable finds are rewarding
Posted By: venice Re: silver threepence - 7th Jul 2016 10:59pm
Nice little find fish. My last meeting with a silver threepenny bit was with my tooth when I was in my teens . My nana had put one in a Christmas pudding and forgot to tell anyone. Painful! Didnt lose the tooth though thank goodness.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: silver threepence - 8th Jul 2016 6:37am
I will inspect it for tooth marks. Surprising how light they are.
Posted By: granny Re: silver threepence - 8th Jul 2016 11:23am
How strange/ Down in Kent and daughter's partner, showed me a silver 3d.which he had found. That was 3 days ago. He said it was worth a large amount , but I didn't pay attention, so I will try to find out a bit more . Let you know.........
Posted By: venice Re: silver threepence - 8th Jul 2016 4:22pm
Ebay says around £3 - £8 but it will depend on date and or condition I suppose. Not a fortune, but better in your pocket than in the ground though fish!
Posted By: granny Re: silver threepence - 8th Jul 2016 7:42pm
As you say Venice, dates condition etc. Must go and have a root, as Christmas pudd helped me to save a few over the years. Haven't seen them for years either.

Some here up for sale.

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=retailv2&denom=S3
Posted By: granny Re: silver threepence - 8th Jul 2016 8:35pm
He reckons about £165 but I think he's a typical rip off merchant. laugh
Posted By: daveybm Re: silver threepence - 9th Jul 2016 7:37am
I don't know how up to date this is but it tells you virtually everything about UK coins :-
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk

Dave
Posted By: fish5133 Re: silver threepence - 10th Jul 2016 9:31am
Not in that good a condition.cleaned it with silver polish but still grubby.its queen victoria i think and date looks like 1876.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: silver threepence - 18th Jul 2016 10:35am
They were used in South Africa for years after we finished with them. I was down there in 1964 and had a tobacco tin full of them but it got thieved from me somewhere along the line. The Yarpies used to call them "tiggies". Just a bit of gen. Also you should never, ever, polish an old coin, it detracts from the value, it should be left with it's patina.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral