Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Todays Finds Whilst Digging--Pensby - 23rd May 2016 10:59pm
Quite surprised how many coins I turned up just digging out someones lawn. Sure we have missed a load and skipped them. What surprised me was that they all tended to be at the same level (about 100mm down)some decimal some old currency.

5 new 1ps, decimal 1/2p, 1967 sixpence, 1936,1945,1948,1966 old pennies.

Sure a metal detector would pick up more--few rusty nails as well.
If anyone interested in throwing a detector over it I could arrange.

Rest of dug stuff is off the tip tomorrow but the levelled ground could be detected.

last week on another job spotted a brittania farthing.

Attached picture DSCF0383.JPG
Posted By: Mark Re: Todays Finds Whilst Digging--Pensby - 24th May 2016 7:30am
A find is a find smile
Posted By: cools Re: Todays Finds Whilst Digging--Pensby - 24th May 2016 7:50am
Hey Fish, you will have to get yourself a metal detector you get plenty of opportunities to use one. Never know what you could find. Im afraid I've given up the hobby sold my detector and stuff. Didn't get much chance to use it and fed up of digging up rubbish. My backs glad anyway started to complain haha. Still find the subject fascinating and look forward to seeing Explores and other detectors finds on here.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Todays Finds Whilst Digging--Pensby - 24th May 2016 6:26pm
Another 3 old pennies 1912, 1917 and another plus two decimal halfpennies.2 more marbles and a plastic soldier. If I had a metal detector I would get no work done!.

Is vinegar or brown sauce ok to clean them
Posted By: jeremycorbon Re: Todays Finds Whilst Digging--Pensby - 24th Sep 2016 1:21am
you would not find many plastic soldiers either. you should only clean coins warm soapy water and your fingers. the colour of old bronze is lovely and with silver coins collectors like them "toned" which is when oxidation occurs. iv`e got some English pennies and half-pennies (the oldest is 1699 and the rest the early 1700`s but as condition is king they are mainly just of interest value. lots of 20th. coin is worth good money and pre 1920 slver coins are 90% silver and can be weighed in as bullion. now will you get metal detector and don`t forget,don`t wear steel toe-caps, cheers.j.c.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral