Forums
Posted By: fish5133 What is it - 19th Feb 2016 9:03pm
Not a detect find but you guys may have come across one. any ideas?
Only thing I can think of is a door stop but its not that heavy
It has no fixing holes to fix to anything. The hand bit unscrews from the base but I don't think its significant just the way its made

Attached picture DSCF0213.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0212.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 9:05pm
First guess would be a curtain tie-back hook but I'd have to do a bit of research.
Posted By: granny Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 10:04pm
Could it be half a door knob. I had brass door knobs with a metal bar that went through the hole. One knob with attached bar was poked through hole and screwed into the knob on the other side.

Heck, all this talk about screws, knobs and holes, I'm feeling quite light headed.
Posted By: j_demo Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 10:30pm
1) does the hand spin or is it stuck in place
2) the baton/pole in the hand, is that how it was originally or does it look like something's broken off?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 10:36pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
First guess would be a curtain tie-back hook but I'd have to do a bit of research.

Got no fixing holes
Posted By: fish5133 Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 10:42pm
Originally Posted by granny
Could it be half a door knob. I had brass door knobs with a metal bar that went through the hole. One knob with attached bar was poked through hole and screwed into the knob on the other side.

Heck, all this talk about screws, knobs and holes, I'm feeling quite light headed.

Sit down and take a glass of water Granny.Dont think it would be part of a door knob as its got no fixing points.

The hand bit is screwed tight and none of it moves. Possibly just a boring paper weight . Not even sure what it is the hand is gripping--just looks like a straight bar. Not broken off. Base and hand look different materials cast iron and brass. Pattern on base is oak leaves and acorns
Posted By: Salmon Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 10:44pm
I suggest a paper weight
Posted By: fish5133 Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 10:45pm
just found this picture on net.

Attached picture paperweight.jpg
Posted By: fish5133 Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 10:53pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
I suggest a paper weight

would tend to agree. quite a few with that hand design. one on ebay as well but different base
Posted By: granny Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 11:29pm
A paperweight would be flat bottomed .

Something to do with a bank ???

Art deco period.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/129095015/vintage-clenched-fist-heavy-solid-brass
Posted By: granny Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 11:37pm
Can't believe this......were back to the masonic lodge AGAIN !

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-...-safe-door-handle-pull-clenched-rod.html

Could be the ornate piece that was attached to the top of the paperweight.

[Linked Image]

OR

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: What is it - 19th Feb 2016 11:52pm
It could well be a hybrid item, the metals look quite different on the two parts.
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: What is it - 21st Feb 2016 12:38am
lid off something? maybe a pot or vase
Posted By: casper Re: What is it - 21st Feb 2016 7:54am
I think your spot on DD, brass and cast and I think our granny maybe right also the brass could well be part of a door handle, such clever people here on Wiki, cry your eyes out Sherlock sherlock
Posted By: Gibbo Re: What is it - 22nd Feb 2016 1:49pm
I've seen one of those on a door in Winstanley Hall, Wigan:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: What is it - 22nd Feb 2016 1:58pm
Towel holder.
Posted By: jeremycorbon Re: What is it - 4th Sep 2016 2:26pm
i am sure that i have seen a handle like this to open and close a ventilator on trains. It seems to have been a popular design of handle used all over the place. Mind you i am not always right but i am never wrong
Posted By: cools Re: What is it - 4th Sep 2016 2:39pm
You gave me a fright there Jeremy, thought wiki had been infiltrated by the Corbynites, but different spelling , phew!!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: What is it - 13th Sep 2016 4:36pm
Coincidentally I came across a statue of Sir Rowland Hill the other day with this ...

Attached picture P1240803_cr.jpg
Posted By: Raven61 Re: What is it - 14th Sep 2016 11:38am
I think it's for holding jewelry. I had a similar one with same design which had one of the fingers sticking up, which was for putting rings on. It could of been cast at Stone Manganese marine.
Posted By: jeremycorbon Re: What is it - 26th Sep 2016 10:38pm
saw another on on the antique roadshow on sunday. It was a screw or bolt holding the works 2gether in the back of a carriageclock. The clock was £3,000 so when the clock was made this hand/le design must have been popular for all sorts of uses, cheers
© Wirral-Wikiwirral