Forums
Posted By: x_plore May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 10:12am
Not too bad this month, mainly coins....

1918 penny

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1919 silver threepence

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Irish 1928 1d coin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

George III half panny

[Linked Image]

A few other bits

[Linked Image]

Livery button, gold guild button and small button

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Another penny and half penny

[Linked Image]

Some newer, old coins!

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking smile

Posted By: cools Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 10:34am
Good finds X-plore. Do you ever take your metal detector with you on your UE or do you like to keep both activities separate?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 10:43am
Very good, that button coin has stumped me!
Posted By: missmahjong Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 11:24am
Excellant , thanks for sharing ....
Posted By: x_plore Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 12:50pm
No don't take it with me cools, I like to keep them separate as you say. Most places are too overgrown anyway. Just bought a new detector lol so will be testing that when I get it smile

Which button DD? The one with the crown on back?

Thanks missy smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 12:56pm
I love seeing what you find. You have great patients and I think a lovely hobby.
Posted By: snowhite Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 1:00pm
Looked this up X=plore.And my guessing this is a bit of history regarding the 9th picture down.
Great find you getting a llovely collection there.

Turner and Dickinson

Hammond Turner and Dickinson (HT&D), a partnership between Samuel Hammond (died 1825), John Turner (died 1840) and John Dickinson (died 1822). It is probable that, in around 1796, John Dickinson became the third partner in the already existing company run by Hammond and Turner (H&T). Some sources suggest that the company existed in 1717, but I have been unable to establish where that date came from. I am keen to find the origin of the oft-quoted date of 1717 as well as the actual date H&T started making buttons so, if you know, please tell me...

Whatever the legal niceties, HT&D was probably using that backmark on buttons made in Birmingham from around 1796. Following the deaths of John Dickinson and Samuel Hammond in the early 1820s the company was known as Hammond Turner and Sons (HT&S) and was run by John Turner and his two sons, William Hammond Turner and Samuel Hammond Turner. By 1851 all three of these people were dead.

At this point, the company set up a factory in Manchester (Yorkshire) in partnership with someone called Bates and was known as Hammond Turner & Bates (HT&B). During the American Civil War the company made some very fine buttons, although I'm sorry that they were for the southern states (the 'Confederacy'): despite my reservations, I have two examples of these highly collectable buttons in my collection. The name HT&B continued to be used in Yorkshire until at least the late 1880s, but not in connection with button making. (See Directories for a little more information.)

The Birmingham-based company HT&S continued trading into the early 20th century although, after the 1850s, they appear to have made fewer buttons and to have concentrated on 'other' metal items, such as those associated with chinaware like cake stands and biscuit barrels. They also made sugar tongs and tea strainers and, from the 1870s, had a silver hallmark (HTS) which they applied to items like belt buckles.
Posted By: x_plore Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 1:08pm
Thank you lollipop smile

Wow thanks for that snowhite. Great info! So it dates from late 1700's to early 1800's. smile
Posted By: snowhite Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 1:19pm
Originally Posted by x_plore
Thank you lollipop smile

Wow thanks for that snowhite. Great info! So it dates from late 1700's to early 1800's. smile
Google it when you got time x-Plore. Loads of information to read.
My guessing this button belonged to a military uniform.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 1:47pm
Well done Snowhite, you have nailed it there. I was looking for a coin blush
Posted By: cools Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 2:18pm
Just been out to the woods again , found the grand total of 3 pence. One 2p and 1p both very dirty and two lumps metal to go in my scrappie bucket. they seem to be the only coins I find, guess that's because the kids throw them away, they don't like brown coins. They will go in my jar. Never mind I'll try again another day...
Posted By: x_plore Re: May finds 2015 - 31st May 2015 8:27pm
Keep at it, with the modern lies the old, same signal for 2ps and 1ps as the old pennies and half pennies with the ace 250, good stuff comes in at the 1c mark smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral