Forums
Posted By: x_plore My bottle collection - bottle digging - 14th Jan 2015 3:00pm
Just thought i would upload some pictures from my other hobby, bottle digging...

Ginger beer bottles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Potted meats

[Linked Image]

Holloways ointment pots

[Linked Image]

Not sure what this was, maybe a small baby feeder

[Linked Image]

Codd bottles

[Linked Image]

Hamilton bottles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Haven't been for such a long time, might have to go for a dig at some point this year!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 14th Jan 2015 3:29pm
A great collection x_plore. Well done ! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: x_plore Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 14th Jan 2015 3:59pm
Thanks Pinz smile
Posted By: cools Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 14th Jan 2015 4:01pm
I Marvell at the quality of things from bygone eras. Everything was meant to last and that's why fortunatlely you are finding them and we can see them. Much better than the plastic we now get. I remember pop bottles with that flip top, and taking them back for pennies. Good stuff Xplore.
Posted By: snowhite Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 14th Jan 2015 5:07pm
What a good collection you have found xplore.
Thanks for sharing with us.Well worth the searching if you find those sort of things,
Posted By: fish5133 Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 14th Jan 2015 6:27pm
Great piece of history.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 14th Jan 2015 6:32pm
Wow where do you look to find bottles like that?

There's a site of an old brewery next to the Wallasey tunnel which would reveal some interesting finds.
Posted By: x_plore Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 15th Jan 2015 3:10pm
Thanks everyone smile just need to do some research and find where the old tips where and dig on those sites
Posted By: bert1 Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 15th Jan 2015 4:59pm
As always, excellent finds.

Typical advert for Holloways Ointment, 19th century.

Attached picture hollo1.JPG
Attached picture holls2.JPG
Posted By: x_plore Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 15th Jan 2015 6:57pm
Cheers bert, thanks for the adverts smile
Posted By: x_plore Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 15th Jan 2015 7:00pm

Attached picture holloways.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 15th Jan 2015 7:41pm
The phraseology and wording of adverts of that era were amazing. Penned with the supreme confidence of the Empire and all its might. From piles to nervousness, one pill cures the lot ! The Trades Descriptions Act was a million miles away !
Posted By: fish5133 Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 15th Jan 2015 7:53pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
The phraseology and wording of adverts of that era were amazing. Penned with the supreme confidence of the Empire and all its might. From piles to nervousness, one pill cures the lot ! The Trades Descriptions Act was a million miles away !

Thing is they probably worked too well...no good for Big Pharma.. no money in it.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 16th Jan 2015 10:09am
Very nice. I've not been digging since 2013, this was the last haul I got:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cools Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 16th Jan 2015 11:22am
Just still trying to put pic up of my meagre finds.
Posted By: snowhite Re: My bottle collection - bottle digging - 16th Jan 2015 12:06pm
Originally Posted by cools
Just still trying to put pic up of my meagre finds.
Looking forward to seeing your finds,Cools thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral