Forums
Posted By: x_plore August/September/October finds 2014 - 12th Oct 2014 5:52pm
Haven't put a finds post up for a while, and to be honest i haven't been able to get out much. Anyway heres an update of the finds from the past few months.

Some old pennies from 1800's through to 1900's

[Linked Image]

Some half pennies from 1900's

[Linked Image]

Edward VII silver six pence and George V silver three pence

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Irish 1d coin and a George V east African 10 cents

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Belgium 2 cents from 1800's

[Linked Image]

Few more coins

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Heres a couple of tokens

[Linked Image]

This is the other side of the token on the right

[Linked Image]

This is what it did look like

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My daughter found this little leather purse with 3 old pennies in

[Linked Image]

A nice, shot, 2 ring bullet

[Linked Image]

And my first bit of gold!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking smile
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 12th Oct 2014 6:20pm
Wow! I bet you were so excited when you struck gold.I find all this kind if thing fascinating.One day I will get myself a metal detector and have a go myself. Keep going you may be the next one to find a big find, good luck.
Posted By: lansyp Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 12th Oct 2014 6:23pm
Have you found out what the writing on the gold says
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 12th Oct 2014 8:22pm
I was over the moon cools, I love all this sort of stuff. Hope I do find a nice hoard one day haha.

The writing says "live mutual we receive and give in absence for each other" and on the back the name "Greg Cratty" is inscribed. Would love to know exactly what it is
Posted By: snowhite Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 12th Oct 2014 9:34pm
Would be a nice if we could arrange a day to go out together.
I would be certainly up for it.nice to meet new members on here.
Posted By: snowhite Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 12th Oct 2014 9:42pm
5 star rating from me X=plore.Amazing find.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 12th Oct 2014 10:41pm
Wonder who Greg Cratty was? There's a story there somewhere... nice to see the threepenny bits in particular, I was very fond of those. Nice chunky little things.
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 5:50am
Yes snowhite That's a good idea, thanks for the rating smile

There is a story there greenwood, but I can't find it frown it's a nice little thing though
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 12:10pm
Forgot to put in the modern coins too! Asda machines love these wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 12:42pm
A few bob there Xplore can,t be bad. It's good to get paid doing something you love.
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 12:43pm
Its great! The detectors end up paying for themselves and then some!
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 12:52pm
Just out of curiosity Xplore, can,t afford one yet! How much would I have to pay to get a half decent one as a beginner.?

Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 1:13pm
The one I use is a Garrett Ace 250, a highly rated beginners machine, it costs about £180 new, could be abit cheaper now, and cheaper again second hand.

There is also the Teknetic's eurotek which are also highly rated, You can get those for around £140 brand new, or the eurotek pro for around £170-£180, only difference being a pin point option on the detector.

But it does depend on what your budget is, and weather you will be detecting on land or beach, as those two detectors are not made for wet sand, although fine on dry sand. If you had a bit more you could also upgrade coils on them, which would give you more depth and ground coverage. If you go on youtube and type in those metal detectors, there are alot of reviews and videos showing them in action. I would have a look on there, plus read up online before you buy.

Hope that helps smile
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 1:25pm
Thanks, just been looking at them on e-bay etc. I see they vary in price from very cheap to very expensive. I guess the cheap ones are not worth buying, you get what you pay for springs to mind.You have really got me into this now I will read more about it. How I would love to handle something that has been buried for such a long time like these treasures that have been found,what a feeling that would be.
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 1:37pm
Alot of them will vary according to the coil size you get with them aswel. When you have got the money give me an email and i will help you find a good deal on one.

Its such a great buzz when you pull up something old, wondering how it was lost, whose it was ect... i dont know if you saw a thread on here a while back, i found a silver medal, and the people on here managed to track it down to whose it was and gave me info on him, heres a link to it...

link to thread
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 1:47pm
Thanks Xplore will let you know when I decide to get one. Just read the story of the medal, all that history coming to light because you found the link. Great! Will look forward to seeing your future finds.
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 1:49pm
Thanks cools, just give me a shout whenever.
Posted By: snowhite Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 1:52pm
How much are metal detectors to buy?...Xplore.
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 2:02pm
They vary in price, from £140 right up into the 1000's! But even the ones in the £100's are good machines
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 13th Oct 2014 4:37pm
can get out tomorrow if you want lawrence
Posted By: snowhite Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 11:36am
Originally Posted by x_plore
They vary in price, from £140 right up into the 1000's! But even the ones in the £100's are good machines
I will put it on my Xmas list for santa to read. laugh
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 1:57pm
Lol good stuff smile
Posted By: snowhite Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 2:57pm
Lol good stuff smile
Have you listened to the news today?Xplore.
This scottish guy who found the viking stuff....He was using his metal detector.
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 3:05pm
Haven't heard about this! Will go have a search for it now
Posted By: snowhite Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 3:20pm
Sorry Xplore this was on Monday.

A haul of Viking treasure has been unearthed from a field in south west Scotland by an amateur using a metal detector.

Derek McLennan, a retired businessman from Ayrshire, made the find in Dumfriesshire in September.

In total, more than 100 items were recovered, including armbands, a cross and brooches.

Experts have said the discovery is one of the most important Viking hoards ever found in Scotland.

Derek McLennan
Derek McLennan made the find in Dumfriesshire in September
The items are believed to be worth a six-figure sum.

Mr McLennan last year uncovered Scotland's biggest haul of medieval silver coins.

Among the objects within the hoard is an early Christian cross thought to date from the 9th or 10th Century.

The solid silver cross has enamelled decorations which experts consider to be highly unusual.

The haul also includes possibly the largest silver Carolingian pot ever discovered, with its lid still in place.

The pot is likely to have been around 100 years old when the hoard was buried in the mid 9th or 10th Centuries.

Stuart Campbell, National Museum of Scotland's head of Scotland's treasure trove unit, said: "This is a hugely significant find, nothing like this has been found in Scotland before in terms of the range of material this hoard represents.

"There's material from Ireland, from Scandinavia, from various places in central Europe and perhaps ranging over a couple of centuries.

Large Silver alloy Carolingian Lidded Vessel
Large Silver alloy Carolingian Lidded Vessel
"So this has taken some effort for individuals to collect together."

Mr McLennan said he had dragged himself out of his sick bed to pursue his passion for metal detecting on the day he found the Viking treasure.

He had been given permission to search the site and after an hour he found a silver object, at first he thought it was a spoon but when he rubbed the surface he recognised the Viking decoration.

Further excavation unearthed more than a hundred items of silver and gold including a bird pen, metal vessel, armbands, cross and brooches. Experts say it's one of the most significant Viking hoards ever found in Scotland.

He said: "I dragged myself out of my sick bed because I had two friends that wanted to detect and I'm a bit of an obsessive.

"I unearthed the first piece, initially I didn't understand what I had found because I thought it was a silver spoon and then I turned it over and wiped my thumb across it and I saw the Saltire-type of design and knew instantly it was Viking.

"Then my senses exploded, I went into shock, endorphins flooded my system and away I went stumbling towards my colleagues waving it in the air."

Early Medieval cross
Among the objects within the hoard is an early Christian cross thought to date from the 9th or 10th century
Fiona Hyslop, Cabinet Secretary for Culture and External Affairs said: "The Vikings were well known for having raided these shores in the past, but today we can appreciate what they have left behind, with this wonderful addition to Scotland's cultural heritage.

"It's clear that these artefacts are of great value in themselves, but their greatest value will be in what they can contribute to our understanding of life in early medieval Scotland, and what they tell us about the interaction between the different peoples in these islands at that time.

"The Dumfries hoard opens a fascinating window on a formative period in the story of Scotland and just goes to show how important our archaeological heritage in Scotland continues to be."

"As ever, the Scottish government will work to facilitate and support the discovery, analysis and exhibiting of finds like this, for the benefit of people here and abroad.

"With that in mind I would like to echo the praise for the responsible behaviour of the metal detectorists: without their continued cooperation this would not be possible."

Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 3:51pm
Omg! What a find! That's what you need to dig up Xplore just one of those things would send you into a frenzy, it would me! Being the first person to set eyes on these since they were buried would be so amazing. Let's all get a metal detector and head for the Highlands!
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 4:39pm
Wow that's amazing, thanks for posting snowhite

It would definetly get the adrenalin pumping find something like that! Would be so exciting. I daydream about this kind of thing lol
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 4:46pm
Looked at some you tubes metal detecting this afternoon, found them very entertaining and that pair called digg and dugg were like a comedy duo. Have you seen them Xplore, very funny? Snowhite take a look if you have not already done so.
Posted By: snowhite Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 4:54pm
Originally Posted by cools
Looked at some you tubes metal detecting this afternoon, found them very entertaining and that pair called digg and dugg were like a comedy duo. Have you seen them Xplore, very funny? Snowhite take a look if you have not already done so.
Hi ,Cools.put some up for us smile.
Posted By: snowhite Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 4:57pm
Wow that's amazing, thanks for posting snowhite

It would definetly get the adrenalin pumping find something like that! Would be so exciting. I daydream about this kind of thing lol
Imagine If you had a big find like that.You would be loaded, Xplore.
Remember who your mates are laugh.
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 5:00pm
Snowhite sorry I would,nt know how to do that, a bit of a technophobe with all this.Just about got the hang of being able to use this forum and do the odd e-mail. I just put into Google you tube metal detecting and loads come up. Worth a look though as you are interested in this.
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 5:35pm
Check out deep digger dan on there, he's funny!

I won't forget my friends when I find a hoard wink
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 5:40pm
Will do Xplore. Yes I,ll be satisfied if you throw a Saxon bangle my way.i,m not greedy lol....
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 14th Oct 2014 6:00pm
Lol. If you go in the favourite metal detecting videos thread it gives u a link that shows u how to put videos up. If you put some up please put them in that thread, cheers guys
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 10:25am
Hi X plore, I deffo going to get a metal detector before Xmas. I have been looking at all the different ones and seems to be the garret 150 or 250 that seems to be the best option. I know you have 250 but what would you advise , is the 150 any good? I,m just thinking money wise but is it better just to go that bit more for 250 ?Thanks
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 11:12am
Defo worth getting the 250 rather than the 150, the display discriminates more. I've got both the 150 and the 250, and wouldn't use the 150 to be honest. You know what your digging out the ground better with the 250.

Are you buying brand new or second hand?
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 11:21am
We'll have been looking at the second hand and auctions on e-bay but you would have to be really quick because if any good it is snapped up with seconds to spare.So think I will have to buy new all around £180 mark.I thought the 250 would be best because if I find it's not for me don,t think I will have too much trouble selling it. What do you say?
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 11:50am
the eurotek pro would be better than the 250 ive had both machines and there both good but the eurotek is a little bit faster
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 11:53am
you can also get the 250 for £169 new from Graeme at unearthed so not really worth buying second hand on ebay you end up paying more
Posted By: x_plore Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 12:07pm
They hold there value well so wouldn't have any trouble getting rid.

As jeff says, you can get them cheaper from his mate at the unearthed website. Have you thought about the eurotek pro? I've got one of those aswel lol jeff loves them but I prefer the garrett.
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 2:09pm
Thanks Jeff and Xplore for all your help. I only seem to have read glowing reports about the 250 and how it is a good one for beginners so think that would be better for me. That is cheap compared to others I have seen but the ones I looked at thrown in the headphones and DVD etc as well.Do you need headphones?
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 2:37pm
you don't need the headphones or the dvd there both rubbish but they come free with the detector anyway so it doesn't matter the eurotek is definatley a better detector though
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 3:00pm
What is the website for Graeme unearthed so I can take a look. Thanks
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 3:18pm
www.uneartheduk.co.uk
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 26th Oct 2014 4:01pm
Thanks Jeff.
Posted By: cools Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 5th Nov 2014 1:40pm
Hi Xplore and Jeff just got my metal detector, so excited! I bought a Garrett ace 250 because I read so much about them, sorry Jeff but I did get it from unearthed uk. Cheapest. Will wait for my son to assemble and then I,ll be practising in my back garden, whooooooo............
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 5th Nov 2014 4:00pm
good luck you'll soon be addicted
Posted By: fish5133 Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 5th Nov 2014 4:48pm
Noticed the other day when fishing Llyn Brenig in North Wales that you guys had been up there along the lake shore line now that the lake level has been lowered for repair works. Judging by the number of little holes dug there must have been a lot of pings. Not sure if permission is needed. Would love to know what might have been found. Never seen the lake so low in the 30 years been fishing there so a lot of un detected ground would be revealed.
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: August/September/October finds 2014 - 5th Nov 2014 6:10pm
hope all the holes were filled in if it was a fishing lake there will have been lots of weights
© Wirral-Wikiwirral