Forums
Posted By: matty389 Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 1st Dec 2013 8:13pm
Ok guys so am really interested and want to start metal detecting

First of all I would like some one who knows there stuff to recomend me a good metal detector

Also is there any clubs to join in wirral area

And lastly. My dads freind owns a massive farm up in chester the strechs out rite up the shropshire canal any ways he said he never allowed any one on to it before but said if I look after place he will let me have ago seeing as him and my dad are such good freinds do you think its worth giving that area ago ? Also any one want to come along when I go and teach me a thing or to
Hi Matty389 welcome to the forum!

I would highly recommend a Garrett ace 250 as a starter detector. It is very easy to use, and finds all sorts. I have this detector and have found loads of coins and artefacts with it. If you get it new you will get 3 years warranty with it. I wouldn't get an expensive detector at first, as you need time to get used to a detector, learning what signals to dig and not to dig. Theres loads of detecting video's on youtube that will give you an idea of what to do with a Garrett.

A local club is the west Kirby metal detecting club, heres a link to their site....

http://westkirbymdc.co.uk/

I would defiantly take your dads friends offer up on those fields, you will have years and years worth of detecting on them!

I would love to come along with you but im off my feet at the minute with a broken leg frown

If you need any more help just let me know
hi matty as x_plore says the ace 250 are great starting machines I had one and found gold silver and lots of coins the teknetic eurotek are also good starter machines as for the land that's what most metal detectorists dont have so you will have a lot of people happy to go with you me included good luck jeff
Thanks theadvice think am going to get the garret 250. And yeah the farm fiels strech out for miles and have been in his family for genarations not sure of any historical stuff regarding the fields but am going to ask a few questions and see if any thing historical has happend along them. Hopefully be hitting the fields in next 3 weeks or so and will keep you guys updated and will more than happy take people along with me
Posted By: x_plore Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 2nd Dec 2013 11:16am
Should defiantly be coins or artefacts on there mate. Try looking up the areas history, look at old maps of the fields and see what was there before. Defo keep us updated mate, I will come along with you when my leg is better, and moretonjeffo will be up for going with you. He knows his stuff with the garrets so can show you some good techniques.
Another good point is me dad got a 70 foot canal boat parked up next to fields so be good for little breaks and a little relax time. Bit of a detectors heaven really nice relaxing peacful area. Great day out what more could you want eh
Posted By: x_plore Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 2nd Dec 2013 12:26pm
Sounds good mate. Im sure you will get a few people emailing you wanting to come along. Great way to start the hobby. I started on 6 fields at my horse yard and got loads, so I reckon you will have a blast!
What the best thing you ever found or most valuable
I love everything I find. I like to research things and find out the history of what ive found. Best artefact ive found was a winning medallion, click this link....

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...equest_Lifeboat_crew_of_.html#Post829340

Ive also found an RAF beret badge, skull ring and loads of old coins, some from the 1800's. Last time I was out I found a silver brooch from 1915 that was worth abit.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 2nd Dec 2013 3:43pm
There's a Garrett on Ebay in Wrexham:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrett-a...ent_Equipment_ET&hash=item1c3997785a
Great finds and I like the histiry of things also must be great researching your finds, and think I'm going to buy one brand new garret. So get the warrenty
Good find that one Gibbo. I think it will shoot up in price though. They are £189.99 on Ebay brand new with the warrenty, and if you did come to sell it they hold their value well, so would return between £100-150 used.
Heres one....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Garre...ent_Equipment_ET&hash=item4178f1cbd1

£185.95, 2 years warranty, finds pouch and free delivery.

I actually thought it was 3 years warranty but its only 2 which is still good.
That will be the one I get x pore. Come pay day.

I'm a builder. And I did find last year a old whistle in a house I was working on think it said paitrent somthing on will find it and post a pic if u like
crawfords metal detectors have got the 250 on offer at £178.99 at the minute
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/money/treasure-hunt-finds.aspx

May I ask why two of the people in the above link why was there finds confiscated and who's the crown
Yes get a picture up of the whistle mate.

They would of been confiscated as the finds would have been deemed as treasure.

Anything you find that is classed as treasure or a hoard (like a hoard of coins) must be reported to your local finds officer. if it is deemed as treasure then the museum buys it, you will get half and the land owner will get half of what the value of the treasure is. More on this is here......

http://metaldetectingtours.com/htm/treasure_act.htm

I used to have a minelab sovereign and loved it but it was heavy and I needed a harness to use it, it was second hand when I bought it and was really well recommended for quality and build. There is a club in new Brighton that meet in the sailing club once a month and the beer is cheap smile

I have made some ace finds and my best was a lemania gents wristwatch from 1958, still like new inside and quite rare too.
I miss detecting but I just cant find the time.
Posted By: x_plore Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 2nd Dec 2013 10:07pm
I didn't know there was one in New Brighton, and the sailing club is just at the bottom of my road smile

I started with a Minelab too, the musketeer xs pro, and that was heavy! Plus I didn't understand it at the time, so I went to a Garrett and havnt looked back smile

Yes they used to meet the first thursday of every month at the new brighton sailing club, hopefully they still do the head honcho was a guy called phil moy...a nice little club.
Posted By: x_plore Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 2nd Dec 2013 11:19pm
That's the fella that runs the west Kirby club. They do their meets at the Royal British Legion now on Withens lane, 1st Thursday of every month.
Ahh cheers for that info x plore smile
Posted By: x_plore Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 2nd Dec 2013 11:38pm
No worries smile
I think its extremly facinating just think wonder what elese is under neith out feet just waiting to be discorverd I bed there millions of amazing things out there just waiting to be found we proberly all walk over historie and amazing artifacs everyday going about our day to day life never knowing what could be just a few inches under our feet can't wait to get started !
Posted By: x_plore Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 3rd Dec 2013 11:39am
That's very true matty. Once you start and get used to your machine, you wont want to stop! Very addictive!
Would love to find some roman gold looks amazing me thinks and must be a good feeling finding somthing from that era
Posted By: x_plore Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 4th Dec 2013 11:54am
Good luck and keep us posted with your finds. I will give you an email when my leg is better and we will go out detecting smile
Can't wait explore. Just put me car in a auction today so going to be using the money from this to fund my new hobbie I want I garret 250. Also a garret pin pointer some wellys small spade and anything else I may need.

I love historie somthing thays always interested and can't wait to start digging things up and researching them and tracing the past back.

Would love to find somthing worthy of the local finds officer and museum that would be a huge bonus ( and me a pround moment digging somthing up that helps with local history and that can be treasured by others for genirations to come.

Can't wait to. Dig my first find
Well you've got the right attitude for it! Make sure you get a water proof cover for the garrett as the control box is not water proof, and if it rains you have to stop frown and some good water proofs for you to wear. Another must is a good pair of gloves.
Ah thanks for that I will add them to my list of things

Much apreciated
don't buy a small spade the amount off digging you will do you need a good border spade the small ones are usually rubish
Again thanks for the advice guys saves me making newbie mistakes

Thanks.

Matt
Posted By: cools Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 8th Nov 2014 4:48pm
Hi guys X plore and jeff and anyone else who do metal detecting.Need advice on what spade to get. Do not want to pay a lot as I know some quite expensive. Any suggestions?Been out today having little go as new to this and used my trowel just to get feel of it but soon realised I need a good spade fit for job.
the roughneck mini shovels are good about 12 pound and they do the job toolstation in Birkenhead also do a mini spade
for a fiver that look ok
Posted By: cools Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 8th Nov 2014 5:38pm
Thanks Jeff store not far from me will pay them a visit.
Any luck on your purchase Cools?
Am waiting to see if santa will bring me one haha.
Posted By: cools Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 9th Nov 2014 9:54pm
Hi Snowhite. Just really getting to know my detector using the back garden, holes everywhere. Found a five pence piece at least I know it works. Weather been pretty awful since I got it so not had a good go yet. Really good tho quite exciting when the beep goes off even if it turns up a pice of old coke can or such.yes put it on your Xmas list.
Ah great, well done.
Maybe we can meet up next year and do some detecting.
Hope X=plore will be up to support us as i have no clue ,its a new challenge for me haha.

Posted By: cools Re: Just Starting Metal Detecting ( Need Advice) - 9th Nov 2014 10:06pm
That would be good. I might have found my Saxon hoard by then lol.....
Originally Posted by cools
That would be good. I might have found my Saxon hoard by then lol.....
I hope am there when you find it haha laugh.
A Couple of years ago I bought a metal detector, I had a rotary clothes drier in the back yard and when Winter arrived I put it in the shed. The metal spike thats in the ground got buried with mud in the Winter, so when Spring arrived I could not find the hole. Hence the purchase, god knows what I done with it but it only cost me £15 off Ebay.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral