Forums
The Great Float Sports and Social Club Seacombe

Attached picture Great Float Social Club2 [1600x1200].JPG
was in there last week, bit grotty but at £2.10 for a pint of john smiths i can live with grotty smile
Like a 70s time zone in there.lol
My second home for many years ....notice how the side door in the picture the sign is wrong it says "Great Floats Sports and Social Club"
I must call in soon to reminisce.
Was last in about 1972. One of the shops taken over to make it (second or third from the corner was a butcher with pictures of cows and things on the tiled walls and another was an old pet shop.
Used to go and watch the footy in there with my dad. Fond memories of the place
There used to be a Provident shop next door or next door but one.
my uncle used to manage this pub.

probably around the 70's and 80's.

Don Gilmour.
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
There used to be a Provident shop next door or next door but one.

Yes there was. Was that known as 'the Practical' earlier on? I think the butcher was right on the corner.
Yes Europa 1 it was a Practical cheque shop. I remember my mum used to get my school uniforms with a Practical cheque from there. smile
Yeah I remember Don ...he went from Float to moreton Football club ...then onto the Isle of man didn't he, is he still over there?
Originally Posted by Heswall1958
Yes Europa 1 it was a Practical cheque shop. I remember my mum used to get my school uniforms with a Practical cheque from there. smile

Yes me too school uniforms and a lot more!
it used to be a printers too
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
it used to be a printers too

yes it did
I went in the downstairs room last year to a gay wedding. Place was empty, only about 12 people in there. I`d say it needed a few bob spending on decoration.
Would be interesting to call in and see if I can spot any changes since my last visit in 1972? Bitter was 11p a pint. DeAr say that has increased. Might make a day of it, start at the PA, then the Stanley and then the Dale in before I to the Float. It's a while since I have been down that way.
Originally Posted by torryman
Yeah I remember Don ...he went from Float to moreton Football club ...then onto the Isle of man didn't he, is he still over there?

Hi mate.

Yes he is still over there.
Did you come in to Moreton football club (cue masters) ?
His wife Carol passed away 2 years ago.
I remember it in the 60's as being a co-op. Apparently, there is an underground stream running beneath it.
i started going there ,friendly people and cheap beer
I remember it in the 60's as being a co-op. Apparently, there is an underground stream running beneath it.

That's interesting. Wonder if it is still there?
They moved it over the road, was under the dale pub, now Tescos
[quote=ZipperClub]They moved it over the road, was under the dale pub, now Tescos [/quote
That's interesting.
I used to play in bands, and I played at both the float and the football club with my band ...Carol was a very nice woman...Don would also quite regularly ring into radio merseyside for their phone-ins but I haven't heard him for a very long time....give him my regards (my name is Dave)

His wife Carol passed away 2 years ago. [/quote]
Originally Posted by europa1

That's interesting. Wonder if it is still there?
Some in-laws now run this place,or maybe just Committee Members- I dunno? I do know that most, if not all family 'do's' are held there... (free hire). Will speak to ones 'contacts' at once!!!!
I used to play in bands, and I played at both the float and the football club with my band ...Carol was a very nice woman...Don would also quite regularly ring into radio merseyside for their phone-ins but I haven't heard him for a very long time....give him my regards (my name is Dave)

[/quote]

Ok nice one Dave.
are you allowed to name the band because he will ask me when i mention you lol ?
cheers.
Only £1 95 for John Smiths in joeys over the road
Originally Posted by movingtables

Ok nice one Dave.
are you allowed to name the band because he will ask me when i mention you lol ?
cheers. [/quote] Trio called Spice and a duo/band called Raffles
In the MFC it was a trio called Spice (we used an effect on the vocals called ADT and he didn't like it (so that will jog his memory) and also a band called Raffles...
Originally Posted by europa1
Would be interesting to call in and see if I can spot any changes since my last visit in 1972? Bitter was 11p a pint. DeAr say that has increased. Might make a day of it, start at the PA, then the Stanley and then the Dale in before I to the Float. It's a while since I have been down that way.

It is a while isn't it!! ...PA now bedsits,Stanley well gone (35 years) Dale... gone Shepherds ...gone La Banque ...gone ...Embassy club ....Gone (but I suspect you already know, and your post is a wind up).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral