Forums
Posted By: uptoncx 727 Duke of Edinburgh, Cleveland St, Birkenhead - 16th Sep 2012 9:34pm

The Duke of Edinburgh

Attached picture Duke of Edinburgh Cleveland St.jpg
I was born at home in Cleveland Street, but must have been some years after this was taken. Any idea when it was taken and what part of Cleveland Street was it on? Cheers.
map
press control & + keys to maximise
press control & - keys to minimise

Attached picture duke of  Edinburghcleveland st.jpg
Attached picture d of e map.jpg
Blow me down, never knew that was a pub!!!
Originally Posted by Alonso
I was born at home in Cleveland Street, but must have been some years after this was taken. Any idea when it was taken and what part of Cleveland Street was it on? Cheers.

The pub has the name Stamper's on the frontage, which helps a little in dating the photo, but not much. The Duke was taken over under lease by William Yates & Co in April 1890 and William Stamper appears to have been their first licencee. Unfortunately he held the licence for over 20 years, until June 1910 in fact, so it could be any time within that period. Wm Yates's was restyled Yates's Castle Brewery Co Ltd in January 1897, and as that branding doesn't appear anywhere on the pub, my guess is that the pic is from the 1890s, which would fit with the look of the photo.

The Duke of Edinburgh closed as a pub in March 1912, when the Magistrates refused to renew the licence on the grounds that "the premises have been ill-conducted"; after William Stamper's departure there had been a couple of endorsements on the licence for permitting drunkenness, whilst the pub "had been kept open at a time when it had been ordered by the Justices to close" in August 1911 (presumably during the Liverpool Police Strike). Yates's appealed against the decision but the appeal was dismissed.
Originally Posted by derekdwc
map
press control & + keys to maximise
press control & - keys to minimise

Hi derekdwc. How do I get hold of a copy of your map which has the street numbers on it? Never seen one like that before and would like to have one for family history research. I am enjoying your postings very much and learning a lot.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral