Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 97 Birkenhead Arms 144 Chester Street & Grange St - 12th Mar 2012 11:50am
Birkenhead Arms on the corner of Chester Street & Grange Street

Attached picture Birkenhead Arms resized.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 97 Birkenhead Arms 144 Chester Street & Grange St - 12th Mar 2012 9:45pm
As Grange Street no longer exists, where was this exactly?
If you can imagine a road from St Mary's Gate to Borough Road East then that is what was roughly Grange Street, which was a continuation of Grange Road from east of the Town Station (Monk Tunnel etc)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 97 Birkenhead Arms 144 Chester Street & Grange St - 15th Mar 2012 11:09pm
I know the general area but I can't picture where this is, it has changed so much with the tunnel exit etc. It's near the antique triangle, I get that but where exactly?
This is the location of the Birkenhead Arms as seen on the 1909 map of Birkenhead. The triangle of buildings between Grange Lane and Lower Ivy Street, plus the timber yard and the Carnegie Library were demolished in the 1930s to make way for the tunnel. From that time onwards, the pub looked out right across to the tunnel entrance. The building to the right of the pub was a garage and filling station. This picture was almost certainly taken when the area was scheduled for demolition, as all the shops below the Birkenhead Arms in Chester Street are shuttered. The pub itself is also probably empty. The whole area was flattened in 1966-1967 to make way for the monstrous new flyovers.

Attached picture bhdarms2.jpg
Sorry, the map is the wrong way up. I wonder if the moderator can adjust it? Thanks.
As Chester St has been realigned since then (widened on both sides) so it's very hard to say exactly, as we all know.
My best guess is that it was where the northern end of the underpass emerges into the open again, as you go towards Woodside.
I've attached a picture from 1969, taken from the flyover on open day, and looking east along Grange Lane / Grange Road / Borough Rd East, which you can follow towards its junction with Tunnel Road. That junction is still there, but for our purposes you have to continue the line of the road as far as Chester St, using the kerb line and buildings (now hoardings) as a guide, but not quite as far as the tall lighting column.
I've put a little yellow box around where I think it might have been. In this, having the map the wrong way round actuall helps, as it aligns with the picture a little better.

Attached picture A4CFBe13rwm.jpg
This present day Grange road pic shows the church spire

Attached picture view_to_Priory_resized[1].jpg
Attached picture BHEAD ARMS.jpg
Approximate location of the Birkenhead Arms.

Attached picture location4.jpg
The Birkenhead Arms photographed in December 1965. As Yoller says all the properties in the area were demolished in late 1966-early 1967 to make way for the new Tunnel Approaches scheme. The second picture shows the area in September 1967; the site of the pub is in the centre of the pic, just to the left of the nearer of the two circular roundabout.

Attached picture Birkenhead Arms.jpg
Attached picture Tunnel Approaches.jpg
Another view of the Birkenhead Arms, taken from near the junction of Chester Street and Ivy Street in 1961.

Attached picture arms.jpg
I wonder if all those cobblestones (setts) are still there covered by tarmac and concrete or were dug up and carted off somewhere.
Comparing 2 of the pics it looks like a bad job of covering outside the Birkenhead Aems

Hard to imagine most streets were like this then
If you look closely at marty's colour picture of the Birkenhead Arms, you can see the old tramlines set into the cobbles along Chester Street in the middle of the road. These tramlines were partially visible there for many years even before the area was demolished, because the tarmac was so worn away by traffic.
It would be interesting to know if the cobbles are still buried there. I think they may well be.
Apologies for the thread hijack but re the old photo posted 16th March 2012 927am. At the bottom left of this picture - does this show the Duchess of Edinburgh pub? (194 Chester St?) I've looked in quite a few places for a pic of this pub but this one may be the closest I've seen,
early map of Duchess of Edinburgh and Birkenhead Arms on

Attached picture d of e.JPG
Sorry to go off topic, but what was the garage to the right of the Birkenhead Arms called "White Elephant" seems to be floating round in my head, But doesn't really sound right.
It was called the Queensway Garage.
Thanks Yoller (don't know where the Elephant name came from) I remember going in that garage late at night, in the early 60s and filling up my tank (500 AJS) (about 3 gallons, cost 12 shillings, 60p in new money) only to find I had not brought any money with me, they trusted me to call in next day with the money, which I did, wouldn't happen these days. ( I was an apprentice engineer at that time earning about £4 a week)Happy Days
Thanks Derek. It really is hard to tell whether that is the building shown at the bottom of the picture. Can't be far off! There are other good ones on. I won't go on about it further as it diverts the thread http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/trolleyed/8/32/634/index.htm
Originally Posted by locomotive
Thanks Yoller (don't know where the Elephant name came from) I remember going in that garage late at night, in the early 60s and filling up my tank (500 AJS) (about 3 gallons, cost 12 shillings, 60p in new money) only to find I had not brought any money with me, they trusted me to call in next day with the money, which I did, wouldn't happen these days. ( I was an apprentice engineer at that time earning about £4 a week)Happy Days

I never heard the garage called the White Elephant, but I only knew it as a kid - we lived not far from there.

However, I can see how it might have got some such nickname, because it was a very unusual building. It was almost art deco style, with an impressive smooth white fascia - very futuristic for those days.

I don't know how old it was, but it was possibly built in the mid-1930s to cater for traffic using the newly-opened Mersey Tunnel. But I've seen another old picture somewhere which shows there was an earlier garage on the site.

Meanwhile, three gallons of petrol for 12 shillings? Those were the days!
Hello Yoller, I met an old friend today(older than me 77)who I hadn't seen for a long time, out of curiosity I asked him (without prompting) did he remember what this garage was called, he said the White Elephant, he remembered there being a wooden cut-out of an elephant on the forecourt, but didn't know why. I'll shut up now before I get told off for hijacking threads. Regards
Thanks for that, locomotive. Wasn't an elephant used in an advertising campaign for heating paraffin many moons ago? Garages used to sell paraffin in the old days, so perhaps that's where the nickname came from.

Just a further bit of information. I said the garage was called the Queensway Garage and that's the name I remember. But I've been looking at an old picture and I think I can see the name Watson on the sign on the front of the garage - possibly Watson and Co or Watson and Son.

I think there used to be a Watson's garage down by Hamilton Square Station, so maybe the garage on the tunnel was connected with that.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral