Forums
77 London Hotel 99 Canning Street 99 7 to 9 Lord Street

1857 picture

Attached picture London Hotel.jpg
Was that where the car park for the bed store is or the other side?
Blue circle on 1950s map where it would have been
ctrl and + keys to enlarge

Attached picture london hotel map.jpg
Attached picture google canning st.jpg
would the houses in lord st and sandford st,have been there in 1881,im doing my family tree,and have found details that my grandfather was born in number 37,lord st, in 1881 then moved to 32,sandford st, by 1883.
The houses in Lord Street and Sandford Street included some of the earliest ones built in Birkenhead, dating from around the time the first part of Hamilton Square was built in the mid-1830s. I have some pics of many of those houses, so I'll see if I can find one showing 37 Lord Street or 32 Sandford Street.
thankyou that would be lovely,sue
Hi Sue, I've posted some photos for you in the History Information Request Forum as your query isn't strictly pub-related; they can be found here.
I was exploring Canning Street in the early 1960s and I'm sure I had a drink in this pub. Why I am not certain is that although the shape of this building looks the same as the pub I went into,long and narrow,I recall that I went down some steps to enter the building. The picture looks as though everything is at ground level. I entered a long narrow room with wooden floors with the bar running the length of the room on the right hand side with windows behind it, possibly the windows in your picture in Lord Street. I was quite taken with this room as it looked for all the world like a western saloon you see in cowboy films. I was the only person in the bar except for the barman who was an elderly Irishman. I recall that while drinking my pint he started on a sob story about how he would like to see old Ireland before he died but that he didn't have the boat fare. I'm sure he had tears in his eyes. If he was trying to tap me up for a few quid he didn't succeed. I was very disappointed to visit the location years later and find the whole street demolished.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral