Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 21st Aug 2010 10:14pm
Ferry Hotel (became Chelsea Reach) Victoria Rd New Brighton
also called Club royale discotheque

Would like possible dates to photos and a similar pic of a later similar pic of pier
any pics of when it was Chelsea Reach

Attached picture Ferry Hotel  pier  [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture pier 2  [1600x1200].jpg

Description: last week now apartments
Attached picture ex Chelsea Reach  [1600x1200].jpg
The chelsea

Attached picture 4_100874942103_667757103_2169711_1336132_n.jpg
Attached picture n509115774_36119_8356.jpg
Attached picture n842802327_1131759_6699.jpg
Got that first pic in a reference book somewhere, thy to find it later, sure it dated.
my old haunt "The Retch! (Reach)".lBoody labarynth inside, never have found my way around it sober!!
Club royale discotheque

Attached picture 3110964583_087c021b8e_z.jpg
Posted By: dave_g Re: 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 22nd Aug 2010 8:27pm
didnt matter what they called the place,the carpets were stickier than a whores...
Never had a whore with a sticky?
Had some great nights there though!
Double your money night!
Try again. I tried to post this in the thread about the Tom Wood book "Looking for Love" this is the frontespiece. Rab abd Pete were my mates from Coleraine in Northern Ireland. You can just see the back of the enigmatic Captain America and my pint on the table in front of Rab.

Attached picture tomwood.gif
Call the police! crimes of fashion lol

Attached picture n755337276_1216951_6068.jpg
Attached picture n755337276_1216952_7251.jpg
Attached picture n755337276_1216964_5950.jpg
Posted By: dave_g Re: 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 22nd Aug 2010 11:07pm
que gene hunt comin in beatin people up!
Posted By: dave_g Re: 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 22nd Aug 2010 11:08pm
Originally Posted by stephen1972
Never had a whore with a sticky?

carpet?
Only went in the Chelsea once, dodging a person about to throw up all over me, I ended up face down on the floor, this proved to be a much bigger bio-hazard than getting thrown up on. Never went back, but in its defence all the clubs had pretty nasty floors, but most clubs didn't have horizontal projectile vomit flying around in the middle.
Beer must ave been rank when u went?
Posted By: uptoncx Re: 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 22nd Aug 2010 11:48pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Ferry Hotel (became Chelsea Reach) Victoria Rd New Brighton

Would like possible dates to photos and a similar pic of a later similar pic of pier
any pics of when it was Chelsea Reach

Derek: The first picture shows the old wooden pier, this was built in 1830 and demolished in 1865.

The second picture I have a copy of and it is dated 1890s.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 22nd Aug 2010 11:55pm
I had my hen night here. In fancy dress. 'no! Am a HEN not a effing chicken!!!'. My mates sister came as a Fat [censored] from Viz magazine and nobody realised! raftl the Dreamboys were there and going home with the Designated Driver we had a 'blow out tyre' on the Bidston flyover. We were rescued by a taxi who said over the blower thing 'ive got a fat [censored], a fairy, a chicken and andy pandy.....'
Sandra or tracey lol

Attached picture _40192142_slags203.jpg
I remember if there was a very high tide you had to stay inside until the tide turned.Sandbags were put along the bottom of the door to try and stop the water from coming in.
On the plus side the bar stayed open. We couldn't go out,the police couldn't come in!!!
It was opened as the Chelsea about 1970 by the Chase family from down south. I remember it as the Ferry Hotel but never went in there.
Hello ,
My name is Natalieand i'm a student at Chester University , as part of a work placement three collegues and I are researching for an exhibition to be held in the university of Tom Woods photographs . There are three areas to the exhibition , Rainhill hospital , Cammell Laird Shipyard and ChelseaReach nightcub .

I am looking for any information or material on the building before becoming the club , and after . And if anybody has stories about the club , or any ephemera then please get in contact .

[email protected]

Thank you very much for your time .
Looking forward to hearing from you .
Natalie ,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 2nd Jun 2011 12:32pm
Originally Posted by nataliejade36
Hello ,
My name is Natalieand i'm a student at Chester University , as part of a work placement three collegues and I are researching for an exhibition to be held in the university of Tom Woods photographs . There are three areas to the exhibition , Rainhill hospital , Cammell Laird Shipyard and ChelseaReach nightcub .

I am looking for any information or material on the building before becoming the club , and after . And if anybody has stories about the club , or any ephemera then please get in contact .

[email protected]

Thank you very much for your time .
Looking forward to hearing from you .
Natalie ,

The Ferry Hotel, at the base of Victoria Road, opened in c1850 and was in a favourable position to attract customers as it was the first building passengers would come across after alighting from their ferry-boat.

After Isabella Graves death her 26 year old great niece Ann Graves took over the tenancy of the Ferry Hotel. In 1857 the hotel was taken over by the notable architect Stephen Eyre who designed St. Albans Church with J.A Hanson in 1852-1853. Eyre remained at the hotel for 10 years and was succeeded by Miss Ann Tennant, a 30 year old, who changed the name of the hotel for a short period to 'Royal Hotel'. In 1869 Ann left to take up duties at the Magazine Hotel, Magazine Brow and was replaced by the one time proprietor of the Queen's Hotel, Conway Street, Birkenhead, George Mason, who changed the title of the hotel to 'Royal Ferry Hotel'. George was a wealthy shipowner and was elected a member of the Wallasey Local Board in 1870. After George retired in 1879 his son, Edward, became the proprietor until 1889 when he left to take up the tenancy of the Queen's Hotel in Conway Street and in 1892 was elected as a member of Birkenhead Borough Council, becoming Mayor of Birkenhead in 1897-1898. It is worth noting that Mason Street, off Victoria Road, and formally known as Black Diamond Street, takes its name from the family. Today the hotel is now residential flats but had recently been a nightclub called Chelsea Reach and Club Royale.

I had my 18th birthday party at the chelsea, funniest thing was booking it as they knew i had been going there for at least a year, Paul chase was always very nice to me although i heard he coud be a nasty bugger,
Posted By: Geekus Re: 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 4th Jun 2011 11:59am
There seems to be more than one thread about the Chelsea Reach/Ferry Hotel on the go at the moment, but here's that link (again) for photos from the eighties in case you haven't already seen them.

http://we-english.co.uk/blog/?p=2604

There's a good one of the minging carpets on here sick
Did anybody, or does anybody know of, people who stayed in the hotel ?
Thank you .
Thank you .
I'm wondering how long it is since its been a hotel, it was another nightclub before the Chelsea Reach iirc.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 13th Jun 2011 5:03am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Thank you .
I'm wondering how long it is since its been a hotel, it was another nightclub before the Chelsea Reach iirc.

My great uncle used to stay there when he was on business trips to Liverpool as he could use the ferry to go across to meetings.
Posted By: Helles Re: 712 Chelsea Reach ( Ferry Hotel ) Victoria rd - 20th Jun 2011 9:13pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Thank you .

No it was the Ferry Hotel or properly the Royal Ferry Hotel. I can vaguely remember delivering papers there with my elder brother when it was a hotel and thinking it was very posh. I worked on the conversion to the Chelsea reach so it would have been roughly 1967-69?

When New Brighton was at its peak, the Liverpool ferry would come in, mums and kids would head for the beach and dads would go straight into the Ferry hotel. Quite funny watching that.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral