Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper 447 The Red Cat - Greasby Road, Greasby - 29th Jun 2009 12:23am
447 The Red Cat - Greasby Road, Greasby

Attached picture Greasby-Red-Cat-IMG_1673-s.jpg
Attached picture Greasby-Red-Cat-IMG_1675-s.jpg
Attached picture Greasby-Red-Cat-IMG_1677-s.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: 447 The Red Cat - Greasby Road, Greasby - 26th Oct 2011 7:51pm
Photo of the Red Cat when newly opened in August 1964.

Attached picture Red Cat, Greasby.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: 447 The Red Cat - Greasby Road, Greasby - 26th Oct 2011 8:12pm
I notice it had an off licence or off sales with Mackies above that part of the premises, was off licences run by the pubs at that time or were they a separate concern just attached to pubs?
They had to be licensed separately for off-sales, quite a few pubs used to have signs up. Prenton Park Hotel by Tranmere Rovers had a window display and sign for many years.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 447 The Red Cat - Greasby Road, Greasby - 26th Oct 2011 8:22pm
Cheers DD, i thought that may be the case, the only off licence i used occasionally, the pub manager of the pub it was attached to would have nothing to do with it.
Posted By: ThomasHardy Re: 447 The Red Cat - Greasby Road, Greasby - 20th Nov 2011 1:18pm
That is incorrect. The pub needed a separate licence for off sales but they were an integral part of the pub operation. Mackies were owned by Birkenhead Brewery.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral