Forums
Posted By: bri445 696 Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere - 8th May 2009 11:22pm
696 Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere.
Prorietor: Florence Galagher, in late 1940s.

Description: Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere. Proprietor: Florence Galagher, in late 1940s.
Attached picture Terry's Manor 2009.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: 696 Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere - 9th May 2009 8:38pm
As a lad i use to live {late 40s early 50s} in the street on the other side of the railway line {Peel Street} On a Saturday night there where always fights taking place under the railway bridge. It was always blokes who had been drinking in the Manor.It had the reputation as the pub that sold fighting ale
Posted By: bri445 Re: 696 Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere - 9th May 2009 10:20pm
I know about the Manor because my early-teens schoolmate Terry lived there and his mum ran it after the father died. Yes, it was definitely basic 'spit and sawdust' and you could cut the fug with a knife. The smoke and smell would rise into their living quarters. I don't remember any troubles though. His mum kept a 'tight ship' as far as I recall! It was a Yates's house. I went home to Lower Beb, sometimes on the last 50 bus without any problem. Was I pushing my luck?!
Posted By: jimbob Re: 696 Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere - 10th May 2009 8:30pm
the fight's always took place outside the pub, under the railway bridge was the fav spot.
Posted By: bri445 Re: 696 Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere - 12th May 2009 9:22pm
How to get this pub on index list as No.695?

Bri
Posted By: uptoncx Re: 696 Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere - 13th May 2009 5:28am
It's already on the index as No 99, and there is a topic for it here, although in the index it is listed as Chester Street rather than Union Street - 99 Manor Hotel Manor Arms, The 180 to 182 Chester Street 180 to 182.

Posted By: bri445 Re: 696 Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere - 13th May 2009 10:22am
Oops! Sorry! Totally missed that, probably due to wrong address.
Will the topics be combined under no.99?
Bri
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 696 Manor Hotel, Union Street, Tranmere - 8th Aug 2009 3:02pm
Met an old landlord of the "Manor" in Sleaford, Lincs. Billy Mac, a Liverpool bloke who ran the pub for quite a time. He ran the Queens Arms Kirby Le Thorpe, Lincs. There used to be a buff lodge in there and it was called The Manor Lodge. My old man used to drink in there and he knew Billy Mac. Small world or what? He was quite a character in Sleaford and known by lots of people.
This is no longer a pub, current occupants are ...

Lady Carolines Dungeon whippy

Townhouse International Swingers Club bananalove bananalove bananalove
Bet 'Toast to the Ladies' means something totally more bizarre now.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral