Forums
556 Pool Inn, Wallasey Poulton Bridge Road, Poulton

Attached picture pool inn  poulton  .jpg
The Pool Inn seems to be closed and up for sale now
Looks like could be being demolished (scaffold, roof off, total demolition signs). But nothing is coming up on the council's planning website when searching by postcode? (CH44 5SN)
went past today and they are pulling it down from the back. No idea wether the whole thing is to be pulled down but it looks like it ,

im sure it was used as a "job centre" for dock workers in years gone bye
When Bidston Dock & the West Float were busy with shipping & sailors, the Pool Inn was a meeting place for "Night Fighters" of the commercial & female type.
Great old pub, sadly like too many, past it's heyday now.
pics from yesterday

Attached picture pool inn 3 [1600x1200].JPG
Attached picture pool inn 1 [1600x1200].JPG
Attached picture pool inn 5 [1600x1200].JPG
Oh what a shame, I noticed that it had been borded up for a while.
What a lovely building it was and not so long ago either.
you all have the government to thank for this no

what a f**ked up country we live in!
OMG, I didn't realise they were demolishing this place.
we went over and got the bar to put up in our function room at Gallaghers Birkenhead, will post a pic when we re assemble it
Oh good for you.
Originally Posted by _Ste_
you all have the government to thank for this no

what a f**ked up country we live in!
withthat

Couldn't agree more.
lots blame government for the demise of pubs, wonder if these are the same people who are seen been forced to buy cases of larger/ beer in the supermarkets instead of supporting there local pubs
Originally Posted by jimbob
lots blame government for the demise of pubs, wonder if these are the same people who are seen been forced to buy cases of larger/ beer in the supermarkets instead of supporting there local pubs

Might be, because its the governments fault ale is cheaper in the supermarket than it is in the pub.
Just been past. Virtually all gone now. Lovely building it was and would have made a great little hotel. Own car park and access to the motorway, what more do you want.

Apart from the smoking ban, I don't think you can blame the government. The breweries are the ones that are destroying pubs. Easier to supply supermarkets than worry about pubs with all the overheads.
I was leaning on the Pool Inn bar yesterday. Please go to "Dispensary" thread.
Supermarkets, The Government, greedy PubCos many many things to blame but this doesn't change that another piece of local history is now gone forever. Such a shame, our heritage being decimated frown

Wonder what will be built there?

I notice The Kings on Liscard road is due to be auctioned off soon too, still at least TDS will be kept busy.
older pic off stephen1972

Attached picture pool  inn.jpg
The pub companies are mainly to blame. Robbing hopeful couples of their nest eggs (often a redundancy payout from a former job)and charging them £1000 per week rent coupled with ridiculously high prices (£33 a case of beer)and refusing to help when they are in trouble. Add to this Wirral Borough Council charging council tax of £12000 a year and it's a wonder any pubs are open.
Can't believe it's gone. Nothing appearing behind the boards yet. Bad enough when a pub closes; disaster when one gets demolished.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral