Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 435 Blue Anchor, Market Street, Hoylake - 18th Apr 2009 9:06pm
435 Blue Anchor, Market Street, Hoylake

Attached picture Blue Anchor  Hoylake   resized.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: 435 Blue Anchor, Market Street, Hoylake - 22nd Oct 2011 8:29pm
The Blue Anchor, Hoylake in 1988.
Shortly after this was taken, I was told that the anchor was painted red overnight. I don't know who or why, but one theory I haerd was football related....

Attached picture 435-1988.jpg
Posted By: kimpri Re: 435 Blue Anchor, Market Street, Hoylake - 10th Jan 2012 12:29am
The Old Anchor Inn, which stood pretty much where the Blue Anchor is today

Attached picture AnchorInn.jpg
Attached picture The anchor.jpg
Posted By: IanR123 Re: 435 Blue Anchor, Market Street, Hoylake - 8th Oct 2013 1:02am
Originally Posted by Norton
The Blue Anchor, Hoylake in 1988.
Shortly after this was taken, I was told that the anchor was painted red overnight. I don't know who or why, but one theory I haerd was football related....

Correct..One dark night "some" people did paint it red
Posted By: locomotive Re: 435 Blue Anchor, Market Street, Hoylake - 6th Dec 2014 8:44pm
does anybody know when this pub was built, I've just bought the Wirral pubs book 3, which says circa 1970, I would have said more like 1963/64, I got married in 1964 and never really drank in Hoylake anymore, didn't have to go and court my Wife. Interesting if anyone can throw any light on the date, Thanks
Posted By: marty99fred Re: 435 Blue Anchor, Market Street, Hoylake - 8th Dec 2014 1:54pm
The plans for the new pub were approved in September 1960, so I would think it probably opened some time during 1961.
Posted By: locomotive Re: 435 Blue Anchor, Market Street, Hoylake - 8th Dec 2014 6:41pm
Hello Marty, thanks very much for that info, I thought it was open before I married in 1964, but it was that long ago you start to doubt your memory, so it's 50 years since I was last in there, ouch.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: 435 Blue Anchor, Market Street, Hoylake - 9th Dec 2014 12:49pm
Advert from the Hoylake News in June 1961. It's not 100% clear from the ad whether the pub was actually open or whether it was still under construction, and during a quick search I couldn't find the usual notice concerning the opening, so it may have been in early 1962. Will have another look when I've got more time.

Attached picture Blue Anchor.JPG
Planning permission applied for to demolish the existing building and construction of mixed-use, three-storey development comprising A1 retail unit at ground-floor and 8 No. residential units above.

SOURCE
At the Blue Anchor boardings have gone up and looks like builders may have moved in, there have been a few more planning applications, with the latest as yet undecided.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral