Forums
249 Royal Castle Hotel Hotel California 2 New Chester Road

Indexed happy

Attached picture Royal Castle1.jpg
Attached picture The California.jpg
Check out the Now and then Topic of pictures of Old.

Click me
It's now called Revolver raftl
Somebody else said that?? I thought it was the Hotel Califirnia....haven't been home for 5 years so really don't know..what is it??
California I meant soz!
It was the Hotel California, but the new people decided to change the name. It's going rapidly downhill frown
cant beat the roasts they did when it was the castle x
I remember the castle in (1980)the dinners you had could keep you going all day long
I used to go there with my friends until we got chuked out
great when ronnie and brenda had it sunday dinners were the best
Ronnie Harrison!! Now there was a Legend. They were also the last tenents of the The Pier Hotel leaving there around October'89 to move to the Castle which they finally got open around 2 years later by buying the place.

Ronnie always wanted to find out if his was the only pub on a roundabout?

Answers on a postcard if you please
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 249 Royal Castle Hotel Hotel California 2 New Ches - 22nd Feb 2012 12:38am
St James Church is on a roundabout........ they serve wine every Sunday, doesn't that count?
one of the best some good times in the castle and the pier
Used to DJ in both places (Pier and Castle) as well as a bit of bar work
Walked past it the other day. Was a nice sunny day. smile

[Linked Image]
Hotel California is going to move out the Castle in May 2018 and into another premises in Birkenhead.

No idea what is going to the Castle but looking at the roof there hasn't been much maintenance going on.
Royal Castle/ex-Hotel California is currently undergoing soft demolition for reclaiming and recycling the contents and fixtures.

Proposals are to demolish it although I can't find official notification of demolition having been given as yet.
Is this correct?
Found it on Wirral memories saying, "Royal Castle Hotel
New Chester Road, Tranmere, Birkenhead." No date
Certainly doesn't look like the same pub. Was it knocked down and rebuilt?
[Linked Image]
https://wirralmemories.co.uk/wm_index.php?wm_page=wm-village-tranmere.php
Rebuilt, look at the overlay map you posted.
Nice spot Bert. Didn't even think of looking at that map and assumed the hotel that is there today was original.
After the fire in 2019 the Royal Castle (currently called Revolver) has suffered much more decay and vandalism, now planning permission has been put in to demolish the remains and rebuild a new five storey hotel with a steel sheet exterior. The application also states it will create 20 full-time and 30 part-time jobs.

https://planning.wirral.gov.uk/onli...b=summary&keyVal=_WIRRA_DCAPR_113023

Its a shame the new building hasn't got the odd turret or castellations as a little nod to the past.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral