Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 1st Mar 2009 4:25pm
675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey

Indexed happy

Attached picture Peggy Gadflys.jpg
Posted By: Robert Re: 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 10th Oct 2009 12:22pm
I remember this being Lacys wasn't it?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 10th Oct 2009 12:49pm
The history of this building goes back more then 160 years. It is the FIRST hotel in New Brighton, then known simply as 'The New Brighton Hotel'.

[Linked Image]

Note - The current name is suppose to refer to the original one-legged diver that used to draw attention of passengers disembarking fron New Brighton ferry-boats in the early part of the 20th Century by plunging into the river from the end of the pier for the prospect of a few coppers. However, it would appear that Peggy'd surname has been spelt incorrectly; his proper name being Peggy (or Pegleg) Gadsby.
Posted By: Stegga Re: 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 10th Oct 2009 1:43pm
Many happy hours playing pool (badly) in there in the 1980's when it was The Neptune. It was a bit of a dump at the time but the pool tables were out of the way of the bar down in the area by the front windows, so, being teenagers with not much cash to spare, you could block the pockets and play all afternoon for 20p (or was it 10p).
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 10th Oct 2009 2:42pm
I was mates wiv the girl who lived there-joanne i think? When it was the neptune. She showed me the upper rooms.
I remember one room had a tiny little table with 2 chairs and a bottle of beer on the table. Very dusty+ old but also looked like the room had only just been vacated. Very eerie looking when your 11 or 12.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 11th Oct 2009 9:28am
To all of a real drinking age, it will always be "The Neppy"!!!
Posted By: Stegga Re: 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 11th Oct 2009 10:18am
I'll drink to that Tatey, I still call it the Neppy now and guess I always will.:)
Posted By: daveybm Re: 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 7th Oct 2014 1:26pm
Latest news on this pub is that it has been bought by the bloke that owns Dukes Bar and Grill (AKA Welly Liscard)at present contractors are in and it is being done up, the pub part is due to open before Christmas and then the upstairs will be revamped into B and B type accommodation same as Dukes.

Dave
Posted By: daveybm Re: 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 2nd Apr 2015 1:10pm
This place has reopened today 2 April, and is now called New Brighton Hotel and Stag Bar and Restaurant. Don't know what it's like yet.

Dave
Posted By: Raven61 Re: 675 Peggy Gadflys 93 Victoria Road Wallasey - 2nd Apr 2015 10:02pm
Their face book page. Same owners as Dukes I think.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Brighton-Hotel-Stag-Bar-and-Restaurant/375444562643643?fref=ts
© Wirral-Wikiwirral