Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 667 Saddle Inn 30 Withens Lane Wallasey - 1st Mar 2009 3:09pm
667 Saddle Inn 30 Withens Lane Wallasey

which part of WALLASEY PLEASE

Indexed happy

Attached picture Saddle Inn  30 Withens Lane  Wallasey.jpg
Posted By: Teutonicus Re: 667 Saddle Inn 30 Withens Lane Wallasey - 26th Mar 2009 12:12pm
Further towards the Manor Road junction, just passed the Primrose. (See my comments on Primrose.)

Go down Manor Road and turn right into Withins Lane. The Saddle is virtually exactly on the left. a little further towards the Serpentine Road junction, on the right, is the Primrose. (Which you also ask about.)

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...imrose_1_Withens_Lane_Wa.html#Post296187
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 667 Saddle Inn 30 Withens Lane Wallasey - 26th Mar 2009 12:17pm
Ahhh, the good old sad hole!
Met many a sluts from there!

Wipe your feet on the way out please laugh
Posted By: oneofthree Re: 667 Saddle Inn 30 Withens Lane Wallasey - 13th Sep 2009 5:09pm
Was in this pub for the first time in years Friday early evening, absolutely heaving - what recession!! - whoever has it now seems to have cleaned it up a bit, quite a pleasant place. I remember it as being rather dark and dank with a peculiar smell and a rather dodgy reputation! Pleased to see it has been given a new lease of life! Might even pop in again if I'm out that way.
Posted By: lee08 Re: 667 Saddle Inn 30 Withens Lane Wallasey - 25th Nov 2009 1:17pm
long live the sad inn
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 667 Saddle Inn 30 Withens Lane Wallasey - 12th Mar 2010 12:20am
The 'Saddle Inn' in Withens Lane was once two small cottages on the mainwaring estate. Mr Kithingham, who was the owner of Mother Redcaps was born there. It was called 'the horse and saddle inn'. at one time. it was built about 1821.

It has been a pub for many years. It was re faced in 1924. The Hughes family have been associated with it for a considerable time (90 yrs). The last member to hold the licensce was Derek Hughes, who usd to paint scenes of old Wallasey. His father, Wilis Hughes, was licensee at one time and had been a successful football player. Indeed, the Hughes family once fielded an entire football team, bar one, for playing local matches.
Posted By: daveybm Re: 667 Saddle Inn 30 Withens Lane Wallasey - 12th Mar 2010 9:00am
I remember when Derek Hughes had the place (seventies) he used to have his paintings up on the walls of the pub, they were all for sale, the price was written on the back of them, he also used to play the electric organ on a Sunday night, dunno if he was any good I never stayed for that.

Dave
Posted By: gffbry Re: 667 Saddle Inn 30 Withens Lane Wallasey - 4th Dec 2011 1:37pm
I remember the Saddle back in the late fifties, it was the first place that I had my first pint of Brown Mixed (half mild and bottle of brown ale) I think I was sixteen at the time, we used to go to to night school at the tech college.
Derek Hughes had the pub then. At a later time I remember in the bar one night, someone used to swipe guys beer when they went for a piss and left there beer on the ledge. One guy prevented this from happening to his pint... he used to leave his false teeth in the glass of beer.
The good old days
© Wirral-Wikiwirral