Forums
437 Bobby's Bar, Marine Promenade, Wallasey 1-Union Terrace, Marine Promenade,New Brighton

Indexed happy

Attached picture Bobbys Bar  Marine Promenade Wallasey.jpg
Did that not used to be the Grand, or the Guinea, one of the two. A night club in the 70s and 80s?
It used to be the Penny Farthing,as you look at the photo the Grand was on the left and the Golden Guinea(now RJs) was on the right
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 437 Bobby's Bar, Marine Promenade, Wallasey 1-Unio - 22nd Mar 2009 1:47am
Originally Posted by Teutonicus
Did that not used to be the Grand, or the Guinea, one of the two. A night club in the 70s and 80s?

The Grand was next door...

[Linked Image]

...its demolition

[Linked Image]
Bobby's Bar was previously the Kraal, then the Golden Guinea, but the Golden Guinea and RJ's were linked, so now I am confused.
Why did they pull it down?
No one knew, the plan was to demolish the Grand AND the Queens Royal and built luxury apartments etc. Someone agreed that the Grand was an eyesore and it should be knocked down, but loads of councillors were disagreeing because it was basically a sound building, just in need of TLC (or more appropriatly for the area - tarting up).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 437 Bobby's Bar, Marine Promenade, Wallasey 1-Unio - 22nd Mar 2009 2:32am
[Linked Image]

Just to clarify the "nightlife on the New Brighton front..

From left to right...

Bobby's Bar. Playas Lounge, Rj's (former Golden Guinea) and Darcy's
Yep, seeing them all in a row, you are quite right, Kraal is also RJ's. So back to the question - what was Bobby's Bar called?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 437 Bobby's Bar, Marine Promenade, Wallasey 1-Unio - 22nd Mar 2009 2:36am
Originally Posted by PaganJay
Why did they pull it down?

It was in a real state and an eyesore. If it wasn't pulled down it would of certainly collapsed after being left derelict for about decade. I think it was about 2004 that it was demolished.

At least it wasn't burnt down like most buildings.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 437 Bobby's Bar, Marine Promenade, Wallasey 1-Unio - 22nd Mar 2009 2:39am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Yep, seeing them all in a row, you are quite right, Kraal is also RJ's. So back to the question - what was Bobby's Bar called?

It was originally called "Coasters" before changings its name in 2001 to "Bobby's Bar".
My friends' Dad has the Queens Royal now. Food is lovely & so are the staff happy
Originally Posted by Teutonicus

I remember when it used to be costers or somthing like that.

I almost lived in R'Js (nextdoor) from 17 to 21 years of age oh the good times (and bad mornings :r:)
i understand the queens wanted to extend into vacant land next, i know the manager, or i should say he knows me, he used to run the much missed hotel vic
It was also called the " Wavecrest" in the early 60's
Bobby's Bar has now re-openned as 'Portofino Italiana', an Itallian Restaurant with roots in Hanley. Obviously licenced, but not a pub, bar or club anymore. The address is quoted as 2 Union Terrace.

Working back from previous posts above, then these premises have been called:
Bobbys Bar
The Penny Farthing
Coasters
The Wavecrest

But what was it called when it was built and up to the time of being The Wavecrest. Anybody know?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral