Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 343 Rose and Crown The Village Lower Bebington - 24th Jan 2009 9:10pm
343 Rose and Crown The Village Lower Bebington
Indexed happy

Attached picture Rose and Crown The Village Lower Bebington .jpg
Posted By: uggla Re: 343 Rose and Crown The Village Lower Bebington - 16th Feb 2009 10:37pm
I quite like this pub doesnt have mainstream beers.

Quite like drinking bomber its like a bitter version of stella
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 343 Rose and Crown The Village Lower Bebington - 16th Feb 2010 3:42pm

Attached picture rose_and_crown_bebington_road_1890.jpg
Its so wonderful to read and see photos from our past... We took over the Rose & Crown a year ago (almost to the day) but have been local residents to the pub for almost 21 years, so its always nice to find some history and good reviews about the place.

We would love to hear if you have any further photos or even old copy's of documents etc for the building as its something we are very interested in.

We've heard rumour, thought non of us can remember, that there used to be a poem written on the end wall of the building, we would love to know what it was, and hopefully make a memento towards it in the pub.

Thanks guys

JaiB!
Posted By: kimpri Re: 343 Rose and Crown The Village Lower Bebington - 16th Oct 2010 12:33am
hiwelcome to wiki smile
Jai B, it wasn't a poem, it was a puzzle.

They were set into the wall of Thomas Francis house which was next door I think.

There was a humourous one aimed at the drinkers who used to lean against the wall.

When worked out it said, "A rubbing stone for asses"

They're in the civic centre now.

Here's some links to more info about them.

http://www.oldwirral.com/thomasfrancis.html

http://pmsa.cch.kcl.ac.uk/LL/MSWR0029.htm
I use to play darts for the mens monday night team until about 2 years ago, they moved recently I believe.
I was clearing out some of my late father's possessions and found a biro inscribed in gold letters 'A MERRY CHRISTMAS from ARNIE & CAROL THE ROSE AND CROWN BEBINGTON'. They were handed out to all the customers. I was with him that night, I think it was Christmas 1972 or 1973.
Posted By: Brass Re: 343 Rose and Crown The Village Lower Bebington - 22nd Nov 2010 11:05pm
MY dad goes in there somtimes with his mate les
We used to call in there occasionally in the 60s for a lunchtime pint (we worked in Port Sunlight).
The Rose and Crown had in the late 50s - early 60s a land lord named Harry Page whose name everyone locally knew as the main man representing R + Cs business for years after his death
© Wirral-Wikiwirral