Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 21st Jan 2009 9:36pm
246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry
Indexed happy

Attached picture 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry.jpg
Posted By: Jimmy Re: 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 6th Feb 2009 10:36am
Did this used to be called "The Letter`s Inn"

I am talking 35 years ago.

Jimmy.
Posted By: scoops Re: 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 6th Feb 2009 12:16pm
Yes it was Jimmy.
According to information I was given.
Posted By: Jimmy Re: 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 7th Feb 2009 11:11am
Originally Posted by scoops
Yes it was Jimmy.
According to information I was given.

I though so Scoop. Thank you. Had one or two in there in my time at New Ferry. laugh

PS. THere was another pub opposite ?? I forget the name,so much has changed over the years.
Posted By: scoops Re: 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 7th Feb 2009 11:15am
Yeah Jimmy that's the Farmers Arms your thinking of and it's still there.
Posted By: Jimmy Re: 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 7th Feb 2009 11:22am
Originally Posted by scoops
Yeah Jimmy that's the Farmers Arms your thinking of and it's still there.

Thank you Scoops,you are very knowledgely. I remember the Farmers Arms now, The bus garage Crossville was up a wee bit. The Wynn Stay Pub (Rough Dump) was on the corner(Licensee....Frank Horton.

Jimmy. laugh
Posted By: jimbob Re: 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 7th Feb 2009 9:50pm
that area was a no go for us Tranmere and Birkenhead lads in the 1950s unless you wanted your head kicking in that is.
Posted By: Jimmy Re: 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 8th Feb 2009 12:29am
Originally Posted by jimbob
that area was a no go for us Tranmere and Birkenhead lads in the 1950s unless you wanted your head kicking in that is.

I remember that era very well Jimbob. I started work there in 1959.
Jimmy. laugh
Posted By: Angela Re: 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 8th Feb 2009 8:01pm
I remember my Dad drinking occasionally in the Letters, although he drank mainly in the Fairfield at the bottom of Well Lane in Tranmere.I remember one occasion when I snuck into the Letters(I was underage at the time frown and being absolutely horrified at seeing Dad sitting there! The dear old soul didn't say a word,but just bought me a drink.Mind you, I got a right telling off when I got home blush
Angela frown
Posted By: Jimmy Re: 246 Alices Place 74 New Chester Rd New Ferry - 8th Feb 2009 11:57pm

Hi Angela,
I thought you would have a peep on this thread so check on the pub I was mentioning in my E Mail.
Under age !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good job it wasnt in my day Ha Ha laugh

Jimmy cool
© Wirral-Wikiwirral