Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road - 10th Jan 2009 9:12pm
267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road
Where it used to be

Indexed happy

Attached picture ex Brittannia.jpg
picture

A local for Cammell Lairds and Tanyard workers
The Queens in background

Attached picture Britannia resized.jpg
Posted By: JaiBuk Re: 267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road - 15th Oct 2010 6:37pm
Alst I can say with certainty was the cellar for this pub was vast & very much haunted.

As a child growing up here I have fond memory's of the large snooker room, public bar and the oversized lounge area... Not forgetting the social room upstairs, forever being used by the unions etc...

The hustle & bustle of the "Lairds Lunch" and the daily "Clock Off Pint"... The many truck-fulls of sausage rolls and plates of sandwiches, on a mostly daily basis was unforgettable...

I wish I could find the old pictures we still have in the attic somewhere of this behemoth of a pub, some of the story's still have me in tears of laughter.

Real shame this pub suffered from the closing of Lairds, as it was truly a remarkable place.

JaiB!
was this not run at the end by a family called the montgomery's
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
was this not run at the end by a family called the montgomery's

it wasnt run by them,they did drink in there though.
Posted By: joyan Re: 267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road - 2nd Mar 2012 12:44am
My Husband Derek Malone and myself used to manage this pub in 1973 and 1974, I have many great memories every lunch time and evening we used to start pulling the pints off then laying them down on the counter ready for the onslaught they'd all grab their pints gulp them down then pay when ordering their food and 2nd pint, those where the days eh, the place was heaving with Cammell Lairds workers, the nights where quiet once they knocked off, excepting for the weekends when we would have entertainment and all the locals would pile in.

Posted By: BARRY72 Re: 267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road - 12th Sep 2012 6:22pm
any old pics of the scrap yard over the road from the brit
Posted By: kimpri Re: 267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road - 12th Sep 2012 6:58pm
scrap yard, click here
Posted By: gopher Re: 267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road - 13th Sep 2012 11:27am
The last owners were Abby McHugh who also had a club in Skelmersdale, i work in the station across the road and had many great times over the years as well.
Posted By: BARRY72 Re: 267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road - 13th Sep 2012 5:02pm
any old pics of the scrap yard there
Posted By: steiner Re: 267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road - 21st Jan 2013 11:43pm
I did some of my earliest drinking in there in the early 80's. I remember it being a friendly pub back then. Once I got my confidence up, I started heading down town to the pubs there. I last visited about 1982. Anyone know when it was flattened?
Posted By: steiner Re: 267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road - 21st Jan 2013 11:44pm
P.S. Known locally as "The Brit" - natch!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral