Forums
Posted By: uptoncx 459 Coach and Horses Inn, Hoylake Road, Moreton - 7th Jan 2009 5:33pm
The Coach and Horses at the end of the 19th Century
Indexed happy

[Linked Image]

It bears little resemblance of the large building which replaced it, known locally as 'The Cathedral'

[Linked Image]

It is so big that it now contains a small shopping centre as well as the pub.

[Linked Image]

Hmmm think

It appears to have changed slightly from the older (early 60`s?) photograph...

Attached picture coachandhorses2.jpg
not heard of The Cathedral
I've heard it called The Big House
Originally Posted by derekdwc
not heard of The Cathedral
I've heard it called The Big House

me too and i have been working down the road for 24 years,always been known as the big house as far as i know.
some more views

If there was another Wong would 2 wongs make a wight

Attached picture 459 Coach and Horses  Hoylake Road, Moreton .jpg
Attached picture 459 Coach and Horses side  Hoylake Road, Moreton.jpg
View from Pasture Road.
I wonder where that big black door goes to?
Was the G. Evans part an outdoor sales part of the pub?
I wouldn't mind a wander round the pubs cellars and upstairs.
A lot of years ago the firm I worked for hired the upstairs (now a "chinese all you can eat place") for a 50th or 60th anniversary where all the workers (over 200) were invited to a free meal and drinks

Attached picture coach & horses pasture road [1600x1200].JPG
The large black door was originally the access to the rear of the pub,the land at the back where the supermarket was built between the pub and Barnston lane used to be a bowling green,on the corner of Barnston lane and Garden lane there was a house,the house and bowling green where on a higher level than the pub,as you can see when you drive into the car park.Originally where the entrance to the car park on Pasture Road was a six foot high wall which curved round into Garden lane and was the boundary wall to the property of the house mentioned above.The buildings where the electrics shop is,as far as I can remember,at one time,used to be public toilets.
Where the shops are now on the Hoylake road side was the restaurant above that was the Ballroom and the Function rooms and the living accommodation above on the Pasture Road side.An extension was added to the corner to accommodate the new Lounge Bar,I think in the sixties.

Description: Coach and Horses
Attached picture CoachandHoreses3.jpg
Edit to my last post..........
After having a closer look at the photo I notice that there is an entrance before the curved wall and I think this was an access to some out building at the back.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral