Posted By: derekdwc Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 22nd Mar 2009 1:12pm
photos by dwavey

Attached picture NAGS head. old.jpg
Attached picture NAGS head.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 22nd Mar 2009 1:15pm
sorry I seem to have these mixed up
Where is this
Posted By: Teutonicus Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 23rd Mar 2009 11:12am
Where the pub formerly known as McCullochs is, which is now Stanleys cask. The new Nags head is a little bit closer to Liscard now. But I do not reccognise any of the pictures ad being McCullochs. I was told that McCulloch had taken over the old Nags head building and made his pub when the old one moved to the new building.

The top photo and the third photo seem to contradict each other. ONE of them is NOT "The Nags head", OR there were two.

The date on the third seems to say 1798. And as there is a T.V ariel on both the pub and the chimney back right of the pub, then we MUST be talking two different buildings between photo 1 and 3. Because both of them stood at the same time. They did not knock either one down to build the other.
Posted By: nestonlad Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 23rd Mar 2009 11:58am
The two photos together are the nags head in willaston
Posted By: Teutonicus Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 24th Mar 2009 10:19am
So when did the pub that became Mc Cullochs now Stanleys cask, became the Nags head? Because the Mc Cullochs/Stanleys cask building is WAY older than 1960, which is what the top picture sais it is.

The only building there is the one that appears to be a shop next to the pub. Did The Nags head move there until the new pub was built? Ans WHICH criminal knocked down the origional Nags head, IF that is what the top picture is?

Posted By: Anonymous Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 24th Mar 2009 6:05pm
Stanley's Cask is NOT the Nags Head. They are two different pubs. The "new" Nags Head was knocked down (date unknown) and a new one was built which is further back from the road.
Posted By: Teutonicus Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 25th Mar 2009 4:36pm
I was always told by John (Mc Culloch) that he had taken over the old Nags head. Must be a different John Mc Culloch then.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 4th May 2009 8:52am
Jim McCulloch bought the "Nags Head" on Rake Lane in Wallasey.The new "Nags Head was being built next door.Jim was able to open it as a pub again due to some ancient law about it having been a coaching inn (or something like that)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 6th Dec 2009 2:04pm

Attached picture nags_head_wallasey.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 6th Dec 2009 2:30pm
thanks paulwirral

have you sorted out what the original pic pub was
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 6th Dec 2009 2:37pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
thanks paulwirral

have you sorted out what the original pic pub was

No mate, its a puzzler indeed. I am trying to find old photographs of the area of the Royal Oak. When Liscard was rebuilt in the late 1960s to make way for the new town centre maybe the building to the left were demolished and then set back. Without evidence of that I am in the dark.

I don't think there is no clear cut evidence as to the origin that can be proved. Hmm...
Posted By: Tilly Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 6th Dec 2009 3:32pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
538 Nags Head, Wallasey Rake Lane, Wallasey, Merseyside

The original Nags Head c1960

Indexed happy

i have seen this picture some where before i'm sure think
i love wallasey history and have a few books here. i will have a good look and see if i can find the picture.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 6th Dec 2009 4:36pm
Originally Posted by Tilly
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
538 Nags Head, Wallasey Rake Lane, Wallasey, Merseyside

The original Nags Head c1960

Indexed happy

i have seen this picture some where before i'm sure think
i love wallasey history and have a few books here. i will have a good look and see if i can find the picture.

If you have Ian Collard's "Wallasey - From Old Photographs" that was published this year then you will find it there (Page 45). It refers to it as the 'Nags Head'. I added this picture to my site last year and also referred to it as the "Nags Head". I hope Mr Collard never followed my error!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 6th Feb 2010 1:47pm
Apparently the Nags Head is soon to close and be demolished. So says my sources.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 7th Feb 2010 9:35am
I thought that I had read on here that the first photo is now Boots in Chester & the third one is the Nags in Willaston.

Personally, wouldn't miss the new Nags Head if it was knocked down. Not even a little bit!
Posted By: marty99fred Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 8th Feb 2010 10:52pm
Originally Posted by Tatey
I thought that I had read on here that the first photo is now Boots in Chester & the third one is the Nags in Willaston.

I think the identity of the first pic was solved here.

Clicky
Posted By: mark1970 Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 13th Dec 2013 3:10pm
And in come the bulldozers....
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 17th Dec 2013 6:40pm
Originally Posted by Tatey

Personally, wouldn't miss the new Nags Head if it was knocked down. Not even a little bit!

It is being knocked down, the bulldozers are there now.
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 17th Dec 2013 8:22pm
i used to manage the stanleys cask on rake lane and it was origionally called the nags head and it was also owned by jim mcCulloch,before john stanley sold the pub to john smiths brewery there was origional glass panels in there with the nags head wrote on them.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 26th Jan 2014 10:52am
This has now been demolished with only what looks like a cuboard and door remaining, may be were the gas meter is until disconnection?
Posted By: europa1 Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 19th Feb 2014 12:59am
Stanley's Cask or whatever IS the old Nag's Head.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 19th Feb 2014 1:16am
Originally Posted by pokerchamp
i used to manage the stanleys cask on rake lane and it was origionally called the nags head and it was also owned by jim mcCulloch,before john stanley sold the pub to john smiths brewery there was origional glass panels in there with the nags head wrote on them.

Yes europa1, pokerchamp already stated this.
Posted By: europa1 Re: 538 Nags Head, Wallasey - 20th Feb 2014 6:43pm
Seems a lot of people on this site have moved to the area from elsewhere and are bereft of such common knowledge.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral