Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 2nd Jan 2009 9:46pm
12 Arrowe Park Hotel

Indexed happy

Attached picture Arrowe Park Hotel1.JPG
Posted By: birch_jl Horse & Jockey, Upton / Arrowe Park Pub - 14th Aug 2012 1:12am
This is the location of the Arrowe Park pub now, and was once called the Horse and Jockey. When it was revamped in (I believe) the 50's, it changed it's name to the Arrowe Park Pub and the Horse and Jockey was opened in Upton Village. I have another photo of this Horse & Jockey from even earlier (reaching close to the late 19th century!).. Anybody a regular here? wink

Attached picture Horse & Jockey - Arrowe Park.jpg
Posted By: birch_jl Re: 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 14th Aug 2012 1:22am
Here's another

Attached picture Horse & Jockey - Arrowe Park 2.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 14th Aug 2012 8:05am
It looks to me the Arrowe Park Hotel was built behind the Horse & Jockey and then the H&J was knocked down to become a frontage for the Arrowe, I think I remember, built in 1937? on the front of the Arrowe Park Hotel but I wouldn't put money on it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 14th Aug 2012 8:24am
Put your money on it Bert ! You are quite right. Arrowe Park Hotel built 1937 behind the Horse & Jockey. To ensure the licence didn't lapse, they had to put up the towels after last orders in the "old" pub and then open the new joint for business the following day! Only then could they blat the H&J.

Real beer at sensible prices then eh?
Posted By: pablo42 Re: 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 14th Aug 2012 8:50am
Good photo Johson and good info there guys. Never knew any of that
Posted By: bert1 Re: 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 14th Aug 2012 9:32am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Put your money on it Bert ! You are quite right. Arrowe Park Hotel built 1937 behind the Horse & Jockey. To ensure the licence didn't lapse, they had to put up the towels after last orders in the "old" pub and then open the new joint for business the following day! Only then could they blat the H&J.

Real beer at sensible prices then eh?

Cheers Pinz,

Only go in there now after funerals thumbsdown
Posted By: birch_jl Re: 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 14th Aug 2012 12:10pm
Ah I didn't think it got knocked down as early as that! I thought it was the 50's. Cheers for the info guys! & hope you liked the photo's - J
Posted By: sunnyside Re: 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 14th Aug 2012 2:08pm
great to see the pics thanks johnsonji
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 15th Aug 2012 6:45am
Great info and photos.thanks for sharing.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: 12 Arrowe Park Hotel - 17th Aug 2012 7:22am
You'll find that the Coach and Horses, Plough and Farmers Arms in Moreton were all built behind the original buildings for the same reason, so that the license didn't laps. In most cases the front wall of the new pub was as close to the old pub as they could get it. That's why the Plough and Coach have 'roads' in front of them and the Farmer's car park is in front of it (You'll have to trust me on the Plough as it's now gone and is a Tesco Express)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral