Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 320 Pacific Hotel - 2nd Jan 2009 11:42pm
320 Pacific Hotel 476 Price Street

Indexed happy

Attached picture the Pacific1.JPG
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 8th Aug 2009 3:12pm
This pub used to be run by Vera, the mum of Charlie Landsborough the country and western singer. A great alehouse with a piano in the back room.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 10th Aug 2009 10:25am
Bandycoot you have been out of town toooo long, he only played in the pub.Ken and Charlie a duo for many years rsident in the pub.
Vera had I think five sons Sadly one lost not so long ago Charley
is not an Elliot.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 10th Aug 2009 11:03am
Billed himself as the landlady's son on a radio interview over here, he was appearing at Skeggy. He told some good dits about the Pacific too. I may have misheard him but don't think so. It was so long ago I need some reminders of exactly what was what and who was who, so always grateful for a heads up. Cheers Para
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 10th Aug 2009 11:51am
Charlie's mum was "Aggie" and he had ten siblings.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 10th Aug 2009 12:04pm
It gets more intriguing. Charlie comes across well in his interviews but never been to see him sing since the Pacific about 30 odd years ago. He might have just been talking about Vera as the landlady.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 12th Aug 2009 6:56am
I met one of the Elliot brothers in Singapore of all places in about 1978, when we were both working out there.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 12th Aug 2009 7:07am
Tatey I bet it was in boogey street.I have had a few nights out with Bandycoot there, along with Sydney and Syprus.I have sailed with D El but it was a bit before 78
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 12th Aug 2009 8:12am
Cyprus I will do the other 499 in hard copy Dhoooo!
Posted By: Tatey Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 13th Aug 2009 6:56am
Originally Posted by paranoidballoon
Tatey I bet it was in boogey street.I have had a few nights out with Bandycoot there, along with Sydney and Syprus.I have sailed with D El but it was a bit before 78

No, it was actually in the bogs at 392 bar when it was at # 392 Orchard Road & Phil said "where are you from mate" & I replied "not far from you by the sound of it" I think Phil was with McDermott then. Shame about Bugis Street closing, that was the start of the sterilisation of Singers!!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 13th Aug 2009 2:07pm
Ah, Singers. Wot a run ashore! Don't ask paranoidballoon about falling down a mongoose drain though. Bugis St isn't actually closed, a mate of mine was down there last year, but it is certainly sanitised, not like it used to be with the Brit squaddies and matelots down there giving it rooty-toot. Like they say, "never go back it aint the same."
Posted By: spider Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 24th Aug 2009 11:18pm
bandycoot....where is my pictures of all the lady boys in singapore??????????you naughty boy...ha ha..do you know the brick?
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 25th Aug 2009 8:40am
Have you just come in from the pub?I only got message half eight,left my phone at home ...I was pushed down said monsoon scupper by a drunk nuff said! I know the "Brick "best seaman I ever sailed with.I shared a cabin with him many a trip clean tidy and polite great lad.Give him my regards when you get round to giving him a ring and lash him up to whatever he wants to drink. I will give you money on 1st April when I sell a compressor I have in my garage
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 27th Aug 2009 3:30pm
Don't remember you having a camera?????
Maybe Para's got them.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 3rd Sep 2010 10:17am
This pub is open again!
Posted By: Tatey Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 6th Sep 2010 2:31am
Had a quick pint in The Pacific the other day & it has changed a lot since the Elliot boys were there. Not for the better!
Posted By: JaiBuk Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 16th Oct 2010 12:03am
just found this on my brothers p.c. As one of Vera's grand-daughters, I can safely say that although Charlie was a big part of my childhood he is definitely not one of Vera's boys.
Charlie played at the Pif every Sunday for many many years....originally as a duo with Ken and then as a solo artist. We are all very fond of Charlie and he was fond enough of Vera to play a few 'tunes' at her birthday bash in January this year. It was my Dad that you spoke to in Singapore :-)
Posted By: MrPhil Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 16th Oct 2010 12:09am
Last time was in there was early 2000.

Sure the Landlord/landlady had a porrly son?

Not sure of their names.
Posted By: charliejack Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 3rd May 2011 6:19pm
veras son has a bar in singapore he lives out there his name is phillip and charlie played in the pacific with david elliot every week he was a school teacher phillips wife runs bar in singapore
Posted By: charliejack Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 3rd May 2011 6:25pm
vera has 5 sons phillip micheal david john kim. micheal and john have died about 18 mths ago
Posted By: cameraman Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 24th May 2011 8:57am
Used to love going to this pub. Always went to watch THE A TEAM play, brilliant gigs in the 80's.
As for Singapore, cracking run ashore, lived there for 6 months with the Navy. Was based in Orchard road at the ANA (Old Shereton) Hotel round the corner from the 4 floors of W**** in Tanglin in 2003 then lived up by the Terror Club in Sembawang, happy memories of the Nelson bar. Bugis is still going but as prev posts stated, pretty sanitised now.
Used to drink in The sportsmans Bar which was the Rangers supporters club in Orchard Road, Run by Harry and Sharon
Posted By: Tatey Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 25th May 2011 6:22am
CAMERAMAN.
Please be nice & call it Orchard Towers! I lived in Changi for many years & used to drink & play squash at the Terror Club. The official owner of the Nelson Bar (The Dutchman) was a mate of mine, even though he was usually asleep (after a hard day!)& his wife ran the place. Always called in for a Tiger with Sharon when in Orchard Road. Happy days & good memories.
I had always though that Phil Eliot was up in Thailand?
Posted By: cameraman Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 25th May 2011 2:52pm
Sorry Tatey smile Orchard Towers. I used to love the Nelson, over 50 years of history written on the ceiling including my name and group name ( We were not attached to a ship at the time as we were a ships protection team). Every ship that visited from every country used to write their names on and it had never been decorated. The Mama at the bar with no teeth must have been over a hundred and she always used to grab the young AB's hands and freak them out LOL.
As for Sharon, what a wonderful person, never forgot a name, I returned a couple of years later and and she remembered everything about me. Got a cracking photo of her and Harry somewhere.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 26th May 2011 1:51pm
Originally Posted by cameraman
Used to love going to this pub. Always went to watch THE A TEAM play, brilliant gigs in the 80's.
As for Singapore, cracking run ashore, lived there for 6 months with the Navy. Was based in Orchard road at the ANA (Old Shereton) Hotel round the corner from the 4 floors of W**** in Tanglin in 2003 then lived up by the Terror Club in Sembawang, happy memories of the Nelson bar. Bugis is still going but as prev posts stated, pretty sanitised now.
Used to drink in The sportsmans Bar which was the Rangers supporters club in Orchard Road, Run by Harry and Sharon

Lived in "K" Block in Terror. Excellent times. Also lived in Johore Bahru before the missus went back to UK and I brought the "Anchorite" back for scrapping. Used to love going to the Pacific when I was on leave, great characters and a great ale house.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 18th Sep 2011 9:21am
Boogis St, to give it its proper name, has now ceased to exist. I remember as an 18 year old soldier being approached by a stunningly beautiful dark-skinned temptress who took me home for a drink. I was set up by my mates. I think you can guess the rest. Almost turned me gay!! I sh*t myself when we got to the nitty-gritty. Ran like a scared rabbit!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 3rd Apr 2020 1:04am
Old picture of Pacific Hotel

Attached picture EUmpMZuWAAAKUxe.jpg
Posted By: sunnyside Re: 320 Pacific Hotel - 10th Apr 2020 4:07pm
[img]https://whatpub.com/img/WIR/571/pacific-hotel-birkenhead/298/224/22012386[/img]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral