Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 65 Vittoria Vaults - 3rd Jan 2009 12:16am
65 Vittoria Vaults known as The Piggy Brook Street 56 Vittoria Street

Indexed happy

Attached picture Vittoria Vaults ( The Piggy )2  Brook St.JPG
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 8th Aug 2009 3:10pm
Did you know that it was called the Piggy as a shortening of the name The Pigmeal. Don' t know where the name came from but that's what it was when I was a nipper in 40's.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 8th Aug 2009 3:10pm
Did you know that it was called the Piggy as a shortening of the name The Pigmeal. Don' t know where the name came from but that's what it was when I was a nipper in 40's.
Posted By: sumersetmoe Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 12th Jun 2012 8:54pm
i didnt no but thanks anymore info i wud love itall xxxxx
Posted By: sumersetmoe Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 12th Jun 2012 8:59pm
i didnt no but thanks anymore info i wud love itall xxxxx
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 12th Jun 2012 10:10pm
The story I was told (in the late 70's) was that many years before, during wintertime , the landlord served up bowls of broth & stew, but when the spoons kept 'disappearing' they began to serve it without cutlery so the stew had to be eaten straight from the bowl 'like pigs from a trough' .

Most likely just a good story , but one I've never forgotten .
Posted By: Raven61 Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 13th Jun 2012 4:44pm
Originally Posted by zigzagwanderer
The story I was told (in the late 70's) was that many years before, during wintertime , the landlord served up bowls of broth & stew, but when the spoons kept 'disappearing' they began to serve it without cutlery so the stew had to be eaten straight from the bowl 'like pigs from a trough' .

Most likely just a good story , but one I've never forgotten .

Surprised that you can remember anything from the late 70's, P.
Who told you that one, "The Acid Man".
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 13th Jun 2012 9:10pm
Before I ever knew the Acid Man K , first started drinking in there summer '77 & I think it may have been Phil Turner who told the story , or was it Kenny Foster .....

Anyway , never let a good story stand in the way of the truth !

Any chance of a copy of that SMM DVD (must get a new keyboard , bloody question mark has died).
Posted By: Raven61 Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 14th Jun 2012 7:14pm
Hi P.
I think I lent it to my Dad, so I'll get it back & copy it for you & sort something out. K.
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 21st Jun 2012 9:55pm
Cheers K , see ya soon.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 23rd Jun 2012 10:28am
Couldn't drink in there as a youth because I couldn't stand Higsons Ale. A lot of folk who did go in there used to swear by it. Remember the old grannies etc. getting jugs of ale from there to take home, women, or should I say ladies, didn't used to drink in bars then. There used to be a side door in Brook Street which is where they went for it.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 23rd Jun 2012 9:53pm
I served my time in McIvors (just over the road)-I never went there myself , but I'm sure a lot of my colleagues did !
Posted By: Gibbo Re: 65 Vittoria Vaults - 31st Jan 2014 10:20am
Discovered this pub on the way home from Peerless Thirsty Thursday.

They have a parrot that swears, well worth a visit for that alone!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral