Forums
Posted By: Mark 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 29th Dec 2008 3:09pm
141 Royal Hotel Corporation Road Cathcart Street
once called the Dolphin
Pictures from derekdwc
Indexed happy

Description: Royal Hotel
Attached picture the-royal.jpg
Posted By: georgetheking Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 6th Sep 2013 10:40am
hahaha 10p for a game of pool
Posted By: mikeeb Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 14th Oct 2013 5:06pm
AKA the dolly
Was later called molly malones where lots of bikers went.
Used to have many stay behinds on a Friday/saturday
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 17th Jul 2017 10:00am
Loads of work being done at the Royal Hotel (3 Cathcart Street/Corporation Road) at the moment, a huge roof canopy is over it.

As far as I am aware it is still a pub as far as planning goes, all previous attempts at planning permission have been turned down and no new applications have gone in.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 17th Jul 2017 12:53pm
Had a pint in The Railway (Blackfellas) Cleveland Street on Saturday night.Anybody interested in having a pre Second World War pub experience should pay a visit. The barmaid spent all her time washing glasses which I could not understand as there was only four customers in the pub.Watch out for the dog which doesn't like strangers. I must admit it was a nice pint. I recommend having a few in The Blue Bell first to get in the right mood for the time warp.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 17th Jul 2017 2:24pm
Dusty,
The North Western (Blackfellas)
Posted By: dustymclean Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 17th Jul 2017 4:18pm
Got me there Bert, I was thinking of the train on the sign outside if it is still there.Well wrecked by that time still enjoyed the chow mein I found in the microwave the next day.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 18th Jul 2017 5:03am
Don't want your chauffeur turning up at the wrong place, Dusty.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 21st Nov 2018 12:49am
The former Royal Hotel has been granted planning permission for the Royal Hotel to be an HMO (house of multiple occupation) consisting of 12 rooms (singles and doubles).

The planning committee were very reluctant to give permission as they think it is a slum of the future and they did not manage to gain access to inspect the property. However the building meets the required legal requirements, similar properties which were refused planning permission were overturned on appeal by the Government.

The property has been a licensed HMO since 2008 but did not have planning permission.

I think the Council are being a bit OTT on this, the rent probably reflects the density of housing, some people find this perfectly adequate and welcome the choice.

Planning officers stated it will provide a "reasonable standard of living" and having "generous floor to ceiling" height, would have good space and natural light.
Posted By: jimbob Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 21st Nov 2018 3:40pm
generous ceiling height , does that mean as long as you swing a cat vertical and not horizontal the rooms are ok and it will be ok to fit 3 tier bunk beds in the bedrooms as the ceilings are high
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 21st Nov 2018 6:32pm
I'm not sure if the Wirral Globe got a bit mixed up HERE, this was approved in 2010 on appeal, there are no recent applications in???

At least 6 of the rooms are en-suite and possibly the rest as well, I was expecting it to be shared accommodation.

Single rooms are at least 6.5 square metres, I lived in 5 square metres by choice for a number of years, it was ok.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 21st Nov 2018 6:43pm
Ah, found it, Council didn't put post code in database and it was applied under 45 Corporration Road whereas previous appplications have usually been 3 Cathcart Street.

https://planning.wirral.gov.uk/onli...WIRRA_DCAPR_104133&activeTab=summary
Posted By: Dilly Re: 141 Royal Hotel (Dolphin Hotel ) - 21st Nov 2018 7:32pm
You would be hard pressed to get the homeless to live there, would be better suited as a knocking shop. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral