Forums
Posted By: chriskay 107 The Black Horse - 26th Dec 2008 1:32pm
Here's a pic. of the Black Horse on Church Rd. No.107. Not a very good one, since I really took it to show the location of the old Regent cinema.

Indexed happy

Attached picture regent.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: 107 The Black Horse - 27th Dec 2008 4:07pm
The Black Horse pub is mentioned in the book Sidelights on Tranmere. The article on the small village quotes that the Black Horse Inn on Church Road near the top of Well Lane bore this date plate 1757.
Posted By: Mark Re: 107 The Black Horse - 29th Dec 2008 2:00pm
more Pictures from derekdwc

Description: The Black Horse
Attached picture the-black-horse.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 107 The Black Horse - 7th Jan 2009 4:30pm
Regent Cinema

Attached picture Cinema list.jpg
Attached picture Cinema list map.jpg
Attached picture Regent Cinema Church Rd resized.jpg
Attached picture Regent Cinema demolished. resizedjpg.jpg
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: 107 The Black Horse - 8th Jan 2009 3:32pm
blimey i never knew that was there, the stuff you learn
Posted By: AR_One Re: 107 The Black Horse - 8th Jan 2009 11:31pm
Nice one - always wondered why the DIY shop was a differant age to the pub next door - that piccy brings back some painful memories as I ran into one of those trees a coupel of years ago when not paying attention when out for a jog.....
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 107 The Black Horse - 22nd Oct 2011 7:19pm
pic off norton

The Black Horse, Church road, Tranmere, in 2003

Attached picture 107 Black Horse The 239 Church Road 239 230 .jpg
Posted By: Touchstone Re: 107 The Black Horse - 22nd Oct 2011 7:24pm
This close recently if I'm not mistaken.
Posted By: Geekus Re: 107 The Black Horse - 22nd Oct 2011 9:31pm
A man named S.G.Wildman wrote a book called 'The Black Horsemen' in which he claimed that there is an Arthurian link with old Inns bearing the Black Horse name.

I believe the writer was originally a teacher at Wirral Grammar School and lived in the Tranmere area. Perhaps he was inspired by this particular pub.
Posted By: Geekus Re: 107 The Black Horse - 22nd Oct 2011 10:10pm
Originally Posted by geekus
A man named S.G.Wildman wrote a book called 'The Black Horsemen' in which he claimed that there is an Arthurian link with old Inns bearing the Black Horse name.

I believe the writer was originally a teacher at Wirral Grammar School and lived in the Tranmere area. Perhaps he was inspired by this particular pub.

More info here:- http://www.fellpony.f9.co.uk/fells/rom_dark/k_arthr2.htm
Posted By: marty99fred Re: 107 The Black Horse - 23rd Oct 2011 6:32pm
Photo of the Black Horse and the top of Well Lane in the 1940s, and also two rare pics of the original pub that the current one replaced in 1931.

Attached picture Black Horse 1.jpg
Attached picture Black Horse 2.jpg
Attached picture Black Horse 3.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: 107 The Black Horse - 23rd Oct 2011 6:53pm
Excellent pics Marty, the middle pic of pub with property close behind, any idea what road that property is in. It looks to close to be the present day road which i think is Wycherley Rd, first left going down Well Lane.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: 107 The Black Horse - 24th Oct 2011 1:09am
Judging from the 1930s OS map the building was a large outbuilding that stood on the far side of the yard behind the pub. It looks like some sort of carthouse to me.
Posted By: Norton Re: 107 The Black Horse - 24th Oct 2011 1:33am
Great photo's. If you look on Google Earth, there is a building behind the pub and at an angle to it. Wycherley Rd is further away and runs roughly parallel with Church Road.
Do you think the building bears a resemblence to the design of some of the Birkenhead Brewery pubs?
I notice that the adjoining building (on the north side, towards Birkenhead) has similar lettering in its ground floor windows. Was this also part of the pub. It's certainly on the land that the 'new' pub is built on.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 107 The Black Horse - 24th Oct 2011 8:23am
About what date are the old pics please
Looking at the state of the road in them,there isn't one or it's snow turned into slush
Posted By: marty99fred Re: 107 The Black Horse - 26th Oct 2011 8:32pm
Originally Posted by Norton
I notice that the adjoining building (on the north side, towards Birkenhead) has similar lettering in its ground floor windows. Was this also part of the pub. It's certainly on the land that the 'new' pub is built on.

You're quite right, the building next door does indeed have the same 'Allsop's Burton Ale' lettering on one of the windows, indicating that it had obviously been purchased by the Brewery to extend the original pub. The full extent of the pub is clearly shown on the 1909 OS map below.

As far as the date of the photos goes, Derek, they aren't dated, but as there are no tram tracks in the road they must be from before 1901, as that's when the Higher Tranmere tram route along Church Road opened. As for the road surface, clearly in those days there wasn't much of one! The photos I posted were cropped to concentrate on the Black Horse; I've posted the uncropped versions below, showing amongst othr things the old cottages that use to stand on the corner of Well Lane.

Attached picture Church Road 1909.jpg
Attached picture Church Road, Black Horse uncropped.jpg
Attached picture Church Road uncropped.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: 107 The Black Horse - 26th Oct 2011 8:58pm
looking at the very good condition of the pavements and kerbs it quite possible the road has been got ready to be re-surfaced, you can see in the first of the two photo's directly opposit the old cottages, the edge boundry stones arround the drain grid in the gutter
Posted By: bert1 Re: 107 The Black Horse - 27th Oct 2011 5:39am
Well Lane cottages c1890

Attached picture well lane.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: 107 The Black Horse - 27th Oct 2011 9:39pm
Great photo's, thanks.
Note about the date - The West Cheshire Brewing Co. Ltd. began trading as such in 1896, after Elvin & Ross (1887)(of Queens Brewery, Farm Rd. Tranmere) took over Gatehousse & Son.
I like the tramline theory about the 1901 date.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: 107 The Black Horse - 27th Nov 2011 3:39am
I was barred from the Black Horse way back in 1979 frown Even as I got much older I still wouldn't go in there in case they remembered me and told me to get out!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 107 The Black Horse - 8th May 2018 4:42pm
Planning Permission been put in to turn the Black Horse into two apartment. https://planning.wirral.gov.uk/onli...b=summary&keyVal=_WIRRA_DCAPR_103736
© Wirral-Wikiwirral