Forums
Posted By: Wheels 33 Admiral Hotel - 24th Dec 2008 8:40pm
[Linked Image]

Bedford Road East

Now called the Refreshment Rooms

Indexed happy
Posted By: raymondo Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 12th Dec 2009 9:35pm
used to be a good pub had many a good night in there sadly gone now though,was also featured on the film "away days" soon to be the royal mersey boat club hq
Posted By: Wheels Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 12th Dec 2009 9:39pm
ah well thats good to know. glad they are not knocking it down like everywere else.
Posted By: uggla Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 22nd Feb 2010 7:06pm
suprised it lasted as long as it did was a complete dump.
Posted By: Norton Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 14th Mar 2012 11:27am
The Admiral (part of it at least) in happier times. Early one morning in June 1970 or 71.

Attached picture s690091rw.jpg
Posted By: Excoriator Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 15th Mar 2012 10:52pm
There are rumours that it is to be restored and reopened. It will cost a packet to do so though.

My memories of it are of so many 'herbal' cigarettes being smoked that you could get stoned simply by walking through the bar. It certainly had 'character', I'll say that for it.

I notice planning permission has been given for the junction of Bedford Rd East with the bypass to be reopened with a set of traffic lights - God knows why - and there seem to be a group of workmen removing steelwork from the tanker cleaning berth. There are also money-no-object plans for the wooded area where the hotel once stood to be part converted to a car park.

Perhaps the whole area is experiencing regeneration. I can think of better things for the council to splash out on in these parlous times though.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 2nd Aug 2012 4:30pm
On a whim, I visited the Refreshment Rooms, ex Admiral Pub this morning 2-8-12 & had the pleasure or being given a conducted tour of the place, including the kitchens & cellar. The pub looks great & a lot of care has gone into refurbishing the place. The Trappers Hat was spot on, possibly the best I have tasted. I will definitely be going again as the food menu looks very good. smile
Posted By: bri445 Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 2nd Aug 2012 5:16pm
Sounds promising for the area, as on StreetView it looks pretty depressing. Any up-to-date photos of the regeneration, for us ex-locals?
Posted By: Tatey Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 2nd Aug 2012 10:52pm
Originally Posted by bri445
Sounds promising for the area, as on StreetView it looks pretty depressing. Any up-to-date photos of the regeneration, for us ex-locals?

I didn't take any today, but it looks good with flowers all over the place & benches outside. laugh
Take a look at http://www.refreshmentrooms.com/
Posted By: cmw2a Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 2nd Aug 2012 11:10pm
There's been a few outside photos in the Globe and/or Wirral News recently. They seem to have done loads of work in there.
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 3rd Aug 2012 6:13am
The place was used in the filming of the fantastic film Awaydays where it doubled as a pub on the Woodchurch Estate, this was before it became the refreshment rooms and after (or before) the admiral pub closed its doors
Posted By: petethebike Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 3rd Aug 2012 2:18pm
The Admiral was the only pub I've ever been in when a darts match was "rained off"!Some one had stolen the lead flashing from the roof and rain water poured through.A roll of polythene was produced and held over the board,all to no avail as an errant dart pierced it and soaked the board.
This was in 1973 or 4.Metal theft's nowt new!
Posted By: yewgarth Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 3rd Aug 2012 6:17pm
Have been in there a few times now when I've walked the dog along the Prom. The food's a tad expensive, £7.95 for a full english. But it's not a bad location and i believe that in the near future there'll be an on and off road on the By Pass that will make it more accessible.
Posted By: Yozzax2 Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 5th Aug 2012 9:43am
I'm made up that the old Admiral is open again. Before it re-opened, I saw a party of Indonesian lads taking photos outside.They had come to Liverpool during a tour of the UK and who wanted to see some of the local places where the 'Awaydays' movie was filmed. (which is a big deal over there..)They were planning to sit on the old pier till dawn, just like some of the characters from the film. Nuts.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 9th Aug 2012 4:48pm
the refreshment rooms today

Description: refreshment rooms
Attached picture IMG_1244.JPG
Posted By: dave_h Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 9th Aug 2012 5:38pm
Originally Posted by Yozzax2
I'm made up that the old Admiral is open again. Before it re-opened, I saw a party of Indonesian lads taking photos outside.They had come to Liverpool during a tour of the UK and who wanted to see some of the local places where the 'Awaydays' movie was filmed. (which is a big deal over there..)They were planning to sit on the old pier till dawn, just like some of the characters from the film. Nuts.

did they have shit accents too?
Posted By: Tatey Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 11th Aug 2012 6:19am
We had a very good lunch there on Thursday 9-8-12 sitting outside in the sun, with several pints of Trappers Hat. Good beer / food / service.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 15th Aug 2012 7:20am
I can also recommend the Chicken Caesar Salad as I had one yesterday lunchtime, very tasty & filling. The Trappers Hat was on form as well!
Posted By: jimbob Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 15th Aug 2012 8:00pm
Are you sure its not the barmaid you find very tasty, after all rock ferry is a long way to go from upper brighton just for a food lunch.
Posted By: chriskay Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 15th Aug 2012 9:21pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
Are you sure its not the barmaid you find very tasty, after all rock ferry is a long way to go from upper brighton just for a food lunch.

My thoughts exactly. However, I have to say I enjoyed a drink there when I came up last Friday; would have been even better if the newly watered hanging baskets hadn't dripped on me.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 16th Aug 2012 6:54am
Funny you should both say that, but there is a certain dark haired barmaid that works there that has a very trim little figure!
Only a silly billy would sit under a hanging basket!
Posted By: bert1 Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 16th Aug 2012 7:38am
Originally Posted by Tatey
Funny you should both say that, but there is a certain dark haired barmaid that works there that has a very trim little figure!

Hang the silly basket,

sorry, wrong thread, seeyu
Posted By: chriskay Re: 33 Admiral Hotel - 16th Aug 2012 10:10am
Originally Posted by Tatey

Yes, Tatey, you're right; I was a very silly billy. Put it down to declining mental ability.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral