The Normal storey goes that it was that Rough all those
years ago that there were that many fights a night they
had a bucket that participants would spit blood into
after a fight. This was supposedly out side the door, which
could actually be true in its own rights. But the meaning
of the Blood Tub goes further back to the 20's 30's

The Meaning of the Blood Tub
All thoses years ago,there used to be a Pig farm down the road
(See Red Arrows) and pigs would be slaughtered there etc for market.
Now at the end of the shift the Men Working there would just
finish there shift and walk down the raod as they were?
No showering or anything then, and into the local pub.
Once in there they would hang there blood covered aprins
over a Tub and lone behold after a period of time the
blood from the killing would run off and into the tub.

Hence the Blood Tub as it would be the main drinking
hole for those workers.

Thanks for the information Mr R.Burgess

Indexed happy

Description: The Old Blood Tub
Attached picture bloodtub.jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 6th Sep 2007 5:08pm
How it looks now

Further Reading Topics of Interest

Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages
LEES TAPESTRIES

* Inside The Blood Tub UE - ( Last ever Pictures )

Attached picture pic10.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 6th Sep 2007 5:36pm
Nice one, how uncanny, i was going to ask if anybody had a piccy of these buildings (3)!
I heard it was a pretty rough place and the police were scared to go in there.
Also if you had a car nobody would dare park in there because it would get trashed.
3).Apperently they were flats or summink?
3).Does anyone know what they were called?

thumbsup

Description: What were these flats called? (3)
Attached picture 2094.jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 6th Sep 2007 5:41pm
They were called the dock cottages aparantly
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 6th Sep 2007 5:46pm
Used to be called Ilchester Sqaure.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 6th Sep 2007 5:52pm
cheers for the info lads, gonna do a bit of research on them wink
Posted By: jonno40 Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 7th Feb 2008 4:55pm
The buildings to the left of number 3 where Dock Cottages by all accounts not a nice place to live they where built to house the dockers and there family's in 1844/47. They consisted of blocks lettered A-J excluding I for some reason.The buildings that house the blood tub where known as stanley buildings .The Blood Tub its self was originally named The Graving Dock Hotel but was always called the The New Dock Hotel.there are several stories of where the name Blood Tub came from and all very plausible but the one i like the best is that because of the roughness of its patrons and the free flowing of drink there were inevitably lots of fist fights(has much changed)so the land lord at the time placed a bucket /tub for the brawlers to spit blood and teeth in to this some times would not be emptied for weeks and would quite often overflow. The cottages were eventually pulled down in 1937/40 to be replaced by ilchester gardens known locally as ilchester square which was ill fated and only lasted a handful of years it was then grassed over to make the area that is still there now :>
Posted By: placidmaster Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 15th Feb 2008 10:24pm
I am so pleased i started this, the info is amazing. seeing that picture or the rows behind the pub reminded me of a dream I had when staying there. I dreamt that whilst travelling round there on a bus (bear with me this was a dream) round the roundabout heading down town, I looked over tyhe grassed area and seen those flats being pulled down. when returning to my aunts who is the source of much info (and 147 years old) i mention this and she asked what they look like. so i told her they were tall and had letters on the side, odd thing after reading one of these threads isthe only letter i seen was the letter I. ironically the excluded one!! wierd. Even stranger when this was 16 years ago and she told me the was pulled down at the start of the second world war.
must stop eating cheese before bed lol

more seriously a massive thanx to all with this so far cant wait to see were this goes.
Posted By: Mark Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th Feb 2008 3:14pm
I thought i would post some "Blood Tub Pictures" I found
on my camera.

So you can see how it looks today.
From Townsend Street.
[Linked Image]

From Townsend Street Looking up Stanley Road
[Linked Image]

From Iilchester Square Field ( St James's Church Behind Me ish )
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mark Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Feb 2008 6:11pm
The OLD Blood Tub & The New One?

I need you to look at this picture.
Next to Number 1 is where the "Old Blood Tub" Stood.
If you look closely you can see that its set back from Tyrer Street.
[Linked Image]

Now look at the new Picture which is sitting almost on Tyrer Street and Stanley Road.
The Red Arrows show where this picture was taken from.

[Linked Image]
-------
Okay hopfully you can also see that the "New Dock Hotel" Is
not in its original location, and after speaking to my uncle
i now have some light to send on it.

First you have to understand what happened in that area.

The "Dock Hotel" was bulit along side the Dock Cottages.
After the Dock Cottages were pulled down for Illchester Square
the "Dock Hotel" was rebuilt where we see it to day even after
the rest of Illchester square was pulled down.

----------------
The Blood Tub was as i explained further up the hill if you like and at the time was probably
owned by the Birkenhead Brewery. Plans were in the making to pull down the "Dock Cottaages" to be
replaced by illchester square. Apparently the Brewery came to some agreement, that they would
allow the old Building to be
demolished on the understanding that the Brewery could buy the corner and flats above.

So that's what happened.
And the "Dock Hotel" was re-built, and now i'm wondering if this could be the reason for it being
called "The New Dock Hotel" New being because its new??

The Flats above were used for the Brewery and were rent free for ex-managers or Brewery Employee's
that were time served.
The First Floor out of the 3 would be for the current Manager
with an internal stair way to that level. (No longer Exists)

We were not sure when Ownership from "Birkenhead Brewery to Higgsons Brewery" happened.

So the "Blood Tub" You see to day is not the original.
When it was part of
illchester square complex there were 3 shops facing Tyrer Street, A Chippy, news agents and somthing else.

Posted By: placidmaster Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Feb 2008 6:28pm
well you learn something new everyday, i never ever knew that
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 12th Jul 2008 11:55am
The Blood Tub its self was originally named The Graving Dock

The Dock Hotel was never called the Graving Dock.

The Graving Dock was another pub in Beaufort Road on the corner of Tyne Street. It became derelict and was demolished in the 1980's.
It was also known as "Shiela's cottage" after the landlady who ran it.
Posted By: BirkenheadWendy Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 26th Jul 2008 3:16pm
The Blood Tub pub was certainly a place where many a fight took place. My dad went there and he wasn't afraid of a punch up or two. Also take into account that a lot of the young men in the area did boxing at school or for the local church clubs, (Holy Cross being one my dad fought for as a boy) it is easy to see how punch ups were not feared and occured a lot.

Not sure about where the name came from exactly but it was definitely a tough place.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 26th Jul 2008 5:21pm
Wasn't the Blood Tub called the Lifeboat or similar in the 70s and 80s.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 26th Jul 2008 5:58pm
aer you thinking about the pilot? that was on beckwith street?
Posted By: jadeCere Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Aug 2008 5:49pm
haha i live by the blood tub just up da road
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Aug 2008 8:47pm
LOVE THE BLOOD TUB,JUST YOUR OLD TYPE OF PUB. NOTHING HAS CHANGED APART FROM THE BEER IN THE PASSED 20 YEARS? BUT HOW LONG WILL IT BE THERE?
Posted By: jadeCere Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Aug 2008 9:40pm
havent got a clue hunnie i think it will be there for a long time smile
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Aug 2008 9:44pm
think so?
Posted By: jadeCere Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Aug 2008 9:46pm
yer i have lived here since i moved over here wen i was a baby so i think it will be here till i'm about 20 something i reckon lol smile
Posted By: Ducko Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Sep 2008 5:17pm
the graving dock on beaufort road was allso nick named murphys the blood tub was never called the gravin dock all ways been the new dock hotell
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Sep 2008 8:41am
Anyone know for certain what is going to be built on the site of the station road houses opposite the blood tub? I heard a official car park for B-Head north train station.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Sep 2008 8:47am
A McDonalds - to make local meal times a bit easier.
There is some truth in this actually - they did plan to put one on the corner of Stanley Rd and Ilchester Rd opposite St James Church but the Council said No No No.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Sep 2008 8:56am
I heard about that a good few years ago, heaven help me walking home after being on the lash with a mcdonalds and a cash point in walking distance haha.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Sep 2008 9:09am
It would put KFRat out of business
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Sep 2008 9:14am
Originally Posted by MissGuided
It would put KFRat out of business

Yeah we don't want that, there would be an uprising in the north end, where would everyone go for their sunday lunch?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Sep 2008 11:25am
My dad informs me it was actually KFC who put in the planning application not Macadee's. They wanted a drive-thru. Sunday lunch sorted - can even go in the car, save energy.
Posted By: Ducko Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Oct 2008 11:25am
Here are some pics from inside the Blood tub.

Attached picture tn_IMG00002.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00003.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00004.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00005.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00006.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00007.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00008.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00009.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00010.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00011.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00012.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG00013.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG000014.JPG
Posted By: jonno40 Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Oct 2008 11:41am
good pics,i got off the train last night and walked past the blood tub,there was some fella curled up in a ball outside singing his head off(leathered) tried to help him up but he told me he was happy an to pass him his wallet an piss off so i did lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Oct 2008 2:50pm
I use to live on Wallasey Bridge Road many many moons ago...and the Bloody Tub was my local.

Good 'ol days.

..and I do believe Mr Charlie Wright is still flying his flag!
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Oct 2008 5:56pm
lol. I was told Charlie had been warned and told to remove the flag but it`s still flying even though it is looking rather threadbare and weather worn.ha.
Posted By: Wench Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Oct 2008 6:16pm
Is that the house in the middle of the 3 that have been partially demolished??
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Oct 2008 6:20pm
yes that is the house apparently he has bought the house thats why he wont move
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 15th Nov 2008 10:59pm
The Blood Tub has closed down around November 10th.

It looks like it's become yet another victim of the smoking ban.
thumbsdown
Posted By: Mark Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 16th Nov 2008 7:04pm
The Big Bill Board is off the side.

I heard that its already been Gutted lead of the roof etc.
No hanging around i say lol. . .

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 16th Nov 2008 9:16pm
Originally Posted by Mark
The Big Bill Board is off the side.

I heard that its already been Gutted lead of the roof etc.
No hanging around i say lol. . .

Sad barstard s s s s s s s? no must be pretty desperate, smackrats no doubt, ANYWAY! Pics please mark happy
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Nov 2008 6:10pm
seen it on way to work someones done a right one on it most windows upstairs have been put throught from the inside!
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Nov 2008 6:19pm
yer i seen that aswell when i was walking to my mums its gone in to a right sh** hole no
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Nov 2008 7:59pm
"Its gone into a sh*thole??"
It WAS A sh*thole wasnt it?? doh
Just another landmark for our glorious council to knock down!!
Have to keep an eye on my shed, looking a bit shabby, might wake up one morning with a compulsary purchase slapped on it, then where will i keep my trowels?????? raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 18th Nov 2008 6:25pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
"Its gone into a sh*thole??"
It WAS A sh*thole wasnt it?? doh
Just another landmark for our glorious council to knock down!!
Have to keep an eye on my shed, looking a bit shabby, might wake up one morning with a compulsary purchase slapped on it, then where will i keep my trowels?????? raftl

It was a sh*thole, and it just got more sh*tty.
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 2:32am
Council contractors are currently using a cherry picker to knock glass out of the windows of the flats on the Stanley Road side to prevent glass from falling onto people. They will probably board the windows from the inside.

The building was broken into over the weekend but the building control dept. have inspected it and are going to secure it.

Attached picture bt1.jpg
Attached picture bt2.jpg
Attached picture bt3.jpg
Attached picture bt4.jpg
Attached picture bt5.jpg
Attached picture bt6.jpg
Attached picture bt7.jpg
Attached picture bt8.jpg
Posted By: jonno40 Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 9:46am
why shut it if they are not knocking it down yet?
Fire brigade will probaly be the next visitors
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 9:47am
good work bud,thanks for Sharing
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 7:17pm
funny you should say about a fire truck the corpy had one outside ther this morning knocking the glass out of the windows!
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 7:24pm
That fire truck (carmichael) doesnt belong to the council, it belongs to a roofing/steeplejack company in Birkenhead, cant remember their name!!
I drove that on several occasions as we used to repair the Hydraulics! Got bollocked by the tunnel police once for taking it thru the Birkenhead tunnel, but only AFTER i had paid thru the tolls!!!!
Had great fun sending the depot gimp up the top (100ft) and leaving him there!! Police had to come on several occasions and tell us to stop playing with the sirens when we worked on it!!! sorry
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 7:30pm
top one! should see the place now looks like a eyesore!
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 7:42pm
Sorry mate, but until its a pile of rubble (for the kids to throw at passing cars/people!!) it will never improve, so it hasnt even progressed to the eyesore stage yet!! raftl
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 7:46pm
yer when you put it like that!
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 7:52pm
Have to look straight at it on way to work most days, even when they pull it dont think the view will improve!! raftl
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 7:57pm
ok point taken dude!
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 8:04pm
Sorry mate! sorry
Posted By: Mark Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 8:16pm
This was this morning smile

Cant see it being there too long if thats how quick there moving in.

The reason its now closed is the owner got his payoff from the
council, and he ran the stock down to nothing. No reason to
stay open after that really smile

Attached picture bloodtub-wikiwirral.jpg
Attached picture bloodtub-wikiwirral-02.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Nov 2008 8:39pm
nice photo mark!
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Nov 2008 1:45am
The 'Blood Tub' will be featured in a video on Youtube which will be the second in a series showing closed down pubs in Wirral.

Here is the first one

Last Orders -Birkenhead Pubs Video on Youtube

The second video is now in production
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Nov 2008 1:57am

excellent video bud thanks for Sharing thumbsup

[youtube]uK-zN2ipnxA[/youtube]
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Nov 2008 2:02am
coooooooooooooooooool vid dude thanks for sharing bananalama
Posted By: Wench Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Nov 2008 1:59pm
I went past the Tranmere Park last week (technically I didn't) but it is no longer there - it's been demolished no Sad.
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 24th Nov 2008 11:03pm
Hello

Here is an extract from Awaydays, a story which is the subject of a film which was being shot in the North end earlier this year:

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/catalo...mp;db=main.txt&eqisbndata=0099267977

In case the link doesn't work, here it is in text

You can always tell how good your mob's going to be by the amount of young ones who turn up. Judging by the contingent of Juniors gathered outside The Tub's off-licence, aggressively smoking Number Six and flicking baby fringes out of their eyes, we're going to have a fook of a good crew today. I let on to Billy Powell and a couple of the other little urchins and head on inside The Dock public house, Ilchester Square, Birkenhead, locally known as The Bloodtub, there to meet with the esteemed gentlemen of The Pack.

The Pack are Tranmere Rovers' away crew and a splendid bunch they are, too. Today I shall be joining them in an excursion to Wrexham for one of the biggest dates in the footballing calendar. Today is the First Round Proper of the F.A. Cup, a time for every ramshackle club from Hartlepool to Exeter to start harbouring dreams of brief encounters with the giants of soccer. Hereford against Newcastle. Colchester against Leeds. Every year the Cup throws up an unlikely combination and every year one of the underdogs forces an upset. Who knows what might happen if we got drawn against Tottenham or Villa or someone? Certain mayhem.

But let's not get too misty-eyed about the Romance of the Cup. While most of us can work up an impressive frenzy for a scrambled equaliser at Rochdale, we don't follow Tranmere for their progressive, free-flowing football. Our satisfaction comes from earning our rep as the nastiest little crew in the Third, and for us the magic of the F.A. Cup is that it never fails to deliver the ag. The First Round in particular always means trouble. Whether it's Hyde United or Leek Town, everyone's mobbed up for the Cup.

Even Wrexham. I've seldom known a game so eagerly anticipated as this local spat with despised woollyback foes, Wrexham. They hate us with the proper, decent, resentful fury of a serf who loathes his oppressor, but we just hold them in contempt as an underclass - a Birmo-wearing, feather-barnetted sub-species who pronounce the 'W' in their name when they're trying to leg you. It can be hairy, sometimes, being outnumbered by hordes of inbreds in places like Mansfield, but there's nothing more calming than hearing them speak. There's no way you can be hurt by someone who calls you 'youth', and when Wrexham come charging at you, arms stretched out as wide as they'll go, screaming 'Wuh-reck-sem' at full, red-faced force, you know you're going to have a laugh. We thought we'd lost them for good when they gained promotion last season, leaving us with only Chester and Crewe for local grudge games. But here we are. Back again to torment them. There's going to be murder. So it's worth the excursion to Birkenhead North just to meet up with the crew, even though I could've just got on at Neston. None of them really know where I live, other than it's out of town - not even Elvis - but I could've easy made up an excuse for jumping on there. But that's not the point - not all of it, anyway. You want to be there, in the thick, from the o£

It's just gone eleven when I step into The Tub, but some of the heads look like they've been here hours. Surveying the pub I immediately feel a rush of pride - this mob'd give anyone a run for their money. Marty O'Connor, shaven ginger bullet-head nodding to The Stranglers on the jukey. Baby Millan, fresh-faced Stanley merchant, joking with a couple of Saturday girls from Park Hampers. Eddie Spark and John Godden arguing with Batesy about Secret Affair and The Glory Boys. Elvis, shockingly thin, greets me with his irony-laden grin, eyes screwed up, looking like a technicolor Bryan Ferry in his livid purple box leather. Flicking and blowing at his monstrous plum-dyed wedge, Elvis beckons me to the bar.

'A'right, Carty. State of Batesy rowing about the fucken Mods. Even fucken Wrexham are wearing parkas these days. Fucken beauts.'

Elvis and I are perhaps the most fashion-obsessed of The Pack, which is a pretty fooking well-dressed crew by anybody's standards. Most of us have wedges or side-partings and wear Samba or Stan Smith trainies, Lois jeans and cardigans. One or two of the older lads have still got BeeGee centre-parts and sheepies, but that's expected of blokes in their twenties. They like to take the piss out of us lot freezing to death in rainlashed away ends, but they've seen the way the girls flock around us wherever we go. We look the part, and everyone knows it. One time, Marty O'Connor brought a can of blue spray paint to the match and offered to spray our lips and fingers blue.

'What's the fucken problem?' he cackled, when we all started running from the drifting aerosol jet. 'It's Adidas paint. For that latest Odgie frozen look!'

Odgie. Marty favours the New Skin look. One minute Slaughter And The Dogs were asking where all the Boot Boys went, next thing we've got Sham 69 and a new breed of skinheads. It's pretty big with the diehard mob from the North End who still see Birkenhead as an old dockers' community. This crew hate Scousers, a prejudice not weakened by the latest bouts of trouble between Liverpool and Tranmere. It's doing everyone's swedes in that the Scousers still see us as Wools, no matter that we dress the same as them. Marty and Eddie Spark and a lot of the older lads can't understand why we want to look like Odgies. They'd prefer us all to be boneheads. I don't mind a few skins in The Pack, they always look evil, but our whole identity, the whole point of The Pack and the reason we've got this rep, is that we look and behave like no one else in this Division.

They haven't got a clue in the Third. Liverpool started the wedgehead look last season and, with us being so nearby, Tranmere soon had our own little mob. There's only really Stockport and Fulham who are on the case and even with them it's only a dozen, twenty boys at the most. But it's the ultimate going to places like Chesterfield dressed like this. They're a race apart. They clock the haircuts and they're straight on to us. The ritual never varies. There's always loads of them, tattooed up and shifters to a man. They wait outside the station and when we get off the train, about sixty of us, no noise, no scarves, they start walking round the forecourt with their hands on their hips, making these sort of girlie whooping noises. They really think that because we haven't got borstal tatts and three scarves each that we're going to be easy. And that we'll be cross that they don't like our gear. It's maximum joy, every time when we run in and pure give it to them. Their faces are too much. They do not know what is going on, and when the blades come out ... well, they're older and wiser by the time the sun sets. Tranmere are the only crew in the Third who go away by train and we're the only ones who use Stanleys - as Chesterfield and all the other knobheads now know.

'Make 'em leave 'em behind!'

'You what?'

'Serious. Make 'em take 'em off and leave 'em behind the bar. Can't be going to Wrexhan1 with fucken parkas on board. Make a holy fucken show of us.'

Elvis laughs.

'You tell 'em!'

We just get halves at Elvis' behest and stop by Batesy's table to josh him about his attire.

'Come 'ead, Batesy! Let's see it!'

'You wha'?'

'Come on, open wide!'

I lunge for his mouth. Batesy recoils.

'Koff, you beaus! fook's goin' on?'

Elvis is doubled up, laughing. I put one arm around Batesy and grip his lower lip with my thumb and forefinger.

'Come 'ead! We just wanna see your tats! Where is it? MO-D, isn't it? Fuckenell, Batesy, thought you was meant to be the Ace Face!'

Batesy grins. For all that he's a bit of a dullard he's got respect, he's a ferocious fighter and it's only lately that I've felt entitled to join in the piss-taking - not just with him, but generally. Batesy's in good spirits and tells us that some of the Legends, Casey and Ally Quinn and some of the older Woodchurch heads are considering coming out of retirement for this one, such is the lure of the Cup. Batesy's lack of guile is in no way disguised by his various speech impediments. Although he has the stutter pretty much under control, he can't distinguish between th, v and f sounds, and, worse, has a babyish inability to pronounce his r sounds. Thus did Port Fale wun like wabbits outside the Ficky Lodge back in August.

It transpires that The Tub has been open all night and Batesy launches into a highly involved and highly unlikely sounding tale casting himself and Ally Quinn as tireless Lotharios in a twos-up with Toothless Elsa, one of The Tub's glamorous barmaids. We all laugh raucously, neither believing Batesy's tale nor caring whether it's true. There's a brilliant atmos. Everyone knows it. Today is going to be an epic.

Me and Elvis stand by the door sipping our halves, watching all the little ones congregate outside the station. They look smart, miniature scals in cords, trainies and Adidas windcheaters. There's some good little ruckers there. Billy Powell's only about fourteen but he's been very useful on more than one occasion. Most of the Junior Squad - mainly the rats from the Ford and the Woodchurch - will get on at Upton. So with the firm we've already got here and allowing for a few to get on at Bidston, we're looking good for a crew of eighty-plus on the ten past twelve which should well be enough to do Wrexham - even on F.A. Cup day.

Already on board the train is Damien O'Connor, Marty's kid brother. He's walking up and down the coaches with an empty sweet jar, cadging bits of drink off the older lads for his now-traditional Pack Punch. So far in the jar he's got Carlsberg Special Brew, Bacardi, vodka, Scotch and, lending the concoction a thick, sickly density, a full can of Coke.

'Any contributions, gents?'

'You lot should lay off the ale,' says Elvis.

He's a fooking downer when he's like this, Elvis. When he feels like drinking it's cool, Jim Morrison liked a drink, name me one great artist -great- artist who didn't benefit from some form of consciousness-enhancing stimulus, blah, blah, blah. But when he's off the plonk, all boozers are cubbies, makes you sluggish, blunts your instinct for danger, etc etc etc. This common sense, incidentally, coming from the first boy I ever saw cut somebody, temple to top lip, with a Stanley craft knife. He's a loony, Elvis, but that's all part of his appeal.

'You'll be fucken useless by Wrexham.'

He might well say that, but some of us actually need a drink before games like this. The butterflies are already jumping and we're only just past Bidston. Elvis stands up, scrawny and completely arse-free even in the snuggest of Lois and delves inside his jacket.

'In fact .. .'

He pulls out a little paper wrap. I notice a drop of blood on his finger tip where he's nicked himself. I keep telling him to retract the blade when he's carrying- it causes havoc with the lining of your jacket. He unwraps the whizz.

'C'mere.'

Damien holds out the sweet jar while Elvis carefully tips half the wrap of pinkish powder into the vicious black mix. He whips out his Stanley and, much to the amusement of everyone around us, stirs the liquid to a frothy foment and hands it back to little Damien.

'If you're going to be mad you may as well know what you're doing.'

Damien grins and slopes away to the corner of the coach, where he tries to wedge himself in firmly enough to get a good slug of punch without the jolting of the train sending it all over him. He smacks his lips and winces comically. Elvis passes me the speed. I avoid the bloody bit where his cut finger's been dabbing.

'D'you see the Whistle Test?'

'Nar. Fucken fell asleep in me chair, waiting.'

Elvis leans forward, eyes alive with his own special madness.

'Ah, I can't believe you missed it, man. Joy Division. Completely out there. Curtis, man ...'

I nod my understanding, even though I didn't see this latest performance. Elvis and I saw Joy Division playing an Amnesty benefit at Eric's back in May. We'd mainly gone to see Kleenex and The Raincoats, all-girl bands who, Trots or not, might have been pleased to know that their record sleeves provided handshank fodder for many a lonely adolescent. But it was Joy Division who blew us away. Ian Curtis threw so much angst and demented energy into his show that he collapsed after four or five songs. They couldn't have been on stage more than half an hour, but it was completely stunning. And they just kept getting better. Just a couple of months ago we went to the Futurama in Leeds and, out of a line-up which included Soft Cell, The Human League, Echo And The Bunnymen and Ua, it was Joy Division that slayed us. Elvis and I often talk about a suicide pact played out to 'New Dawn Fades'.

Everyone cranes forward as the train pulls in at Upton, hoping for a good crew to supplement the fine mob already on board. Some sight awaits us. It's not just the usual urchins and robbers we were expecting, who're pushing forward on the platform, but a full-scale crew of Woody, too. There's some real heads there, Hardy, Kev The Man, Christy Byatt in a green beret, all pogoing madly and swatting each other with rolled-up newspapers. Hardy's wearing an eyepatch, which looks sound, even though there's fook all wrong with his minces far as I know. And there's a lad with a crutch, putting on a bit of a limp. A crutch or a couple of arms in slings always looks boss mixed up in the main body of the crew. I reckon that there's easy thirty of them, a comical sight next to the handful of silent ice-skaters who'll get off at Shotton for Deeside Leisure Centre. I push my way to the window for a better look and am immediately taken over by a woozy affection for the vast redbrick tower blocks of the Ford Estate on one side of the tracks and the stark white blocks of the Woodchurch on the other. Not for the first time do I find my butterflies replaced by a heady euphoria. I grab Damien.

'Give us a go on that before these swats get on.'

I take a slug of Damien's magic potion and lick my lips. I know that something's going to happen today and I know that I'm going to be right in there. More often than not I'll just go with the flow at aways, doing the minimum expected. I never run, obviously, but I'm not one for sticking my neck out too much, either. It's to do with protocol. There are people like Marty and John Godden who you look to to start the rows and, while there are times when you think they might be dragging their heels a bit, they're the Boys. It's up to them. I'm ever conscious of the fact that this is only the start of my third season with The Pack and I'm only just getting to be accepted. Sometimes, though, I can't help myself, I get this headrush, this mad adrenalin surge just comes over me, a delirious, fierce, loyal pride in The Pack. I feel like I'd do anything for them.

I can feel it now as the train jerks to a halt and I lick the residue grains of sulphate from my teeth. I'm going to make sure that everyone knows who I am today, not least these Woodchurch names getting on now. I nod to individuals I know to let on to, but who aren't regulars. The fantasy of the Cup and the fact that it's Wrexham has brought all kinds out. It's one hell of a crew, and I belong right here with the best of them.

Two lads we know from Eric's and the tunnel bus come and stand by Elvis and me. When I say we know them, all we ever say to each other is 'A'right'. Don't even know their names. We always call them The Spics, because they look a tad Latino. Portuguese, Elvis decided one night after too much homegrown at a Cabaret Voltaire gig. That was about the last time we really tried to talk to them. They're not actively unfriendly, Just silent - and quite psychotic in an o£ Danny Allen, a Scouse lad who came to live on the Nocky last summer, comes and joins the company.

'A'right, Paul.' He always calls me by my proper name, Danny, probably on account of having had to come into the office on official business one time. It's only a job to me, but it spooks the public. They think they'll never get out alive.

'Howdy, Danny. Cracker mob, eh?'

'Too fucken right, lad. These'd see off Liverpool, these would.'

He's always a bit wary about being from Liverpool and, since all the trouble started again, over-compensates by running the Odgies down at any opportunity. He's alright, though. Bit of a shithouse. I tried to get everyone calling him Danny Jekyll - he was always hiding - but it never caught on.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Nov 2008 12:33am
Its sad northend is going to be no more soon.. I know its a good thing in a few peoples eyes cause its home but in some all they here about the northend is bad but realise this if your a northender and proud good on you happy
Posted By: dingle Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Nov 2008 5:15am
Very sad indeed. I never had a drink in there, too scared by half even to go up the North End. It was a very scary place back in the '60's. But I will tell you this, if you ever made some mates up there you had some bloody good mates and they would be your mate for life. Goodbye Blood Tub and good bye North End. boohoo
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 28th Nov 2008 2:04pm
I reckon the North End was at its worst in the mid 80's when the smackheads were all over the field injecting. It was known as Smack Hill in those days.
In the 60's and 70's it had a bad reputation but was never as bad as people made out. I lived in Ilchester Square at the time and always wondered where all these stories came from.

The council were going to demolish the remaining houses but now they are being refurbished. Those newbuild flats by the church are bad as they have re-housed some of the idiots there (Apologies to the respectable people living there who I feel sorry for).

The River Streets estate is the quietest it has been for years now, and is certainly no worse than any other estate in Birkenhead.

I have a video channel on Youtube with pictures from 2005 and I will be adding more soon:

http://uk.youtube.com/user/birkonian

by the way, does anybody have any pictures of Ilchester Square? I know there were some taken by the Birkenhead News during the Coronation street parties in the early 1950s which some people bought. I did have some but a relative claimed them.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 28th Nov 2008 5:25pm
you could not have said it better mate!
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 28th Nov 2008 6:11pm
Re: the Rivers Estate, half the streets have gone haven't they?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 28th Nov 2008 6:14pm
yes thay have mate!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 28th Nov 2008 6:22pm
Originally Posted by PaganJay
I went past the Tranmere Park last week (technically I didn't) but it is no longer there - it's been demolished no Sad.

I took pictures of that before it was demolished and a lot of pictures of the other buildings along Church Road, some of which have now gone and the rest planned to go soon, including our works.

But thats another topic.
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 29th Nov 2008 1:52am
According to this notice on the WBC website, the council are proposing to demolish the Kwik Save building opposite the Blood Tub as well. The Applicant for the new plan is Netto
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/planning/webtables/20086556-01.gif

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/planning/RegisterEntry.asp?appnum=20086556&wanted=Register

Here is the Blood Tub proposal. Demolition is scheduled to start on 4th Jan:

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/planning/RegisterEntry.asp?appnum=20086820&wanted=Register
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 29th Nov 2008 9:32pm
Here is some more info and pictures about Awaydays which will be released in spring 2009:

www.casualco.com/awaydaysfilm.html

www.awaydaysthemovie.com/
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 18th Dec 2008 10:28pm
Blood tub,Date or year unknown.

Attached picture new_dock_pub.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 21st Dec 2008 7:10pm
The original pub along with the dock cottages filled the triangle area from St James church down to the corner of STEWART Street and Stanley Road. then there was a piece of land between Stewart Street and Tyrer Street. When the pub and dock cottage where pulled down Stewart Street was built over and the new building which included the new pub ran from the corner of Tyrer Street up towards St James church and became Ilchester Square. Birkenhead North Station was originaly called DOCK Station.
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 29th Dec 2008 1:51am
people just some information about the blood tube which i will be putting up shortly:P:P
Posted By: jimbob Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 2nd Jan 2009 10:04pm
Drove past the blood tub at 6 o'clock this evening and noticed that all the shutters are down and the doors shut. Has it closed down ?
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 2nd Jan 2009 10:20pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
Drove past the blood tub at 6 o'clock this evening and noticed that all the shutters are down and the doors shut. Has it closed down ?
And all the up stairs windows been smashed

SHAME
Posted By: Mark Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 2nd Jan 2009 11:43pm
Its been closed since before Christmas.

The Windows were removed / smashed by the demolition company,
if you read back over this thread there is also a picture,
we can only assume its to prevent squatters moving in.

Its due for demolition on the 4th Jan 2009
but will probably be a little longer but who knows.
Posted By: Mark Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 5th Jan 2009 7:51pm
It looks like they were cutting off the gas / water / electrics today well this morning as i passed at about 8:45am

The Doors facing the Train Station had the flags up
and the workmen in 3 vans there.

So Demolition cant be too far away now ??
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 5th Jan 2009 9:01pm
Woohoo - when's it comin' down??
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 5th Jan 2009 9:42pm
comming down with the kwick save!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 5th Jan 2009 10:08pm
U Know when
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 5th Jan 2009 10:15pm
very soon! feb/march i think mate!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 5th Jan 2009 10:53pm
Oh yeah - bye bye kwik save hello netto smile
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Jan 2009 8:17pm
kwick save building shuts sun 24/1/09!
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Jan 2009 8:20pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Oh yeah - bye bye kwik save hello netto smile

Is that what it`s going to be....Netto?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Jan 2009 8:28pm
NETTO AND HOME AND BARGAIN
Posted By: Mark Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Jan 2009 8:08pm
As i passed today its still standing.
And looking more and more haunted every day.

Attached picture 2009_0125-10003.JPG
Attached picture 2009_01250001.JPG
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 6th Feb 2009 12:39am
Workmen have been in the Blood Tub flats today. (Thursday 5/2/09).

The firm was Technical Building Services.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 6th Feb 2009 1:48am
NO more bloodtub
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 6th Feb 2009 8:40am
they seem to get all demo jobs around here smile

currently demoliting the
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 6th Feb 2009 1:35pm
yerrr pics ready i was told there starting on Monday yerr
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 7th Feb 2009 12:08am
All the electricity has been cut off now. It is all in blackness at night.

That's a definite sign
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 7th Feb 2009 1:22am
Originally Posted by Northender

That's a definite sign

yeah!

that the squaters are out!
Posted By: Shambo Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 7th Feb 2009 2:47am
you'd have to be pretty desperate to squat there
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Originally Posted by Northender

That's a definite sign

yeah!

that the squaters are out!
Posted By: carol145 Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 8th Feb 2009 5:28pm
The flats were called ILLCHESTER SQUARE. It was a really rough place but a lot of the families that lived there would give you their last penny if you needed it.
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 21st Feb 2009 12:28am
Hello

Here is a video featuring the shooting of Awaydays in the North End at Birkenhead North train station and outside the Blood Tub.

[youtube]V2_5s4QSyw8[/youtube]
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 21st Feb 2009 1:05am
Looks awesome man, great post!

Great video too!

Heres the site of the film...

Click
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 21st Feb 2009 9:21am
looks good man! happy
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 4:12pm
Before it gets demolished
Would be interested in seeing photos or vid of the inside of the flats attached to pub
Just to get an idea of what they were like inside
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 4:34pm
"Be patient young jeddi...........Hmmmm, the force is strong n persistant in this one!!!" wink
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 5:01pm
I await your teachings Master Yoda

er do your ears go thru the sides or top of your safety helmet

Attached picture yoda .jpg
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 5:28pm
wink

DO WHAT HOSEMAN TELLS YOU LOL
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 5:37pm
what does LOL mean on this forum
tried google for definitions
lots of luck
lots of laughs
lots of love
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 5:39pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
what does LOL mean on this forum
tried google for definitions
lots of luck
lots of laughs
lots of love

LOL LAFF OUT LOUD
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 6:22pm
"I use the force!" raftl
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 6:29pm
raftl
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 6:47pm
raftl
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 22nd Feb 2009 9:11pm
before i knew what `lol` meant i thought it was a girls name laugh

`Why does everyone keep saying this girls name?`

i thought until i asked a mate!!! raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 23rd Feb 2009 1:04am
Lol
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 23rd Feb 2009 1:22am
raftl
Posted By: SoundLad Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 23rd Feb 2009 10:36am
OR LMFAO *shock* lol
Posted By: alfietuppa Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 23rd Feb 2009 3:06pm
does any body have photos of ilchester square i lived there in the 60s
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 23rd Feb 2009 3:09pm
Jeanny, please see the Ilchester Square - The Dock Cottages thread smile
Posted By: igorarovit Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 16th May 2009 9:26pm
It,s the first time that I have seen this thread. The Blood Tub used to be my favourite watering hole in the 1950,s. I used to be a fireman at Bidston Loco.All the lads from the shed used to call in there after work and get steamed up (in the bevvied sense) before heading home. The boss at that time was Eric Holt. The head barmaid was Mrs.Lil Jones, who lived in Laird St. Eric was great, He had an Irish Shilaleagh behind the bar, and if anyone started scrapping inside the pub, he had been known to lay them out with it.Scrapping was "Outside only".There were some real Hardmen who boozed in there,proper scrappers. If you did,nt bother them, they did,nt bother you.It was a great pub. Beer then cost 1/1d a pint.(5p in new money).A quid did you for 2 sessions.
The Blood Tub was known throughout the World. That was because of all the Birkenhead lads who went to sea, and also all the foreign seamen who called in for a bevvy.I was in a bar in HongKong, in 1953; A Chinese guy heard my accent, then asked me "you Liverpool man?", I said "No, Birkenhead". He gave me a big grin and said " Ah Yes. Blood Tub .I know it.Itxxxxxxx good pub.Me in there many times".Then he told all his mates in Chinese about it, and the word Blood Tub was all I could understand.We all ended up bladdered as we drank to my old local.
So that,s it. The awld Blood Tub is one of the most famous boozers in the World.I,ll be a sad man ,when I hear that it has bit the dust.Progress!! Who needs it??
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 16th May 2009 9:31pm
thanks mate some good memories there!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 16th May 2009 10:51pm
Thanks igor. Enjoyed your post. 'real' colourful accounts are SO interesting to me, much better than what the 'organic' historical accounts say. Thankyou
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 18th May 2009 8:26am
Demolition of the Blood Tub should be starting soon. Containers have been placed in the car park at the back and they should be fencing it off soon. Pictures Coming Soon

Cameras ready !
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 18th May 2009 6:45pm
the bloodtub r.i.p.

Attached picture 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.JPG
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 18th May 2009 6:49pm
ali ready boxed off mate not much left inside kid!
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 18th May 2009 6:51pm
welll does anyone know what date it is surpossed to be getting knocked down
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 18th May 2009 7:22pm
next 2 weeks or so?
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 18th May 2009 7:25pm
yerrrrrr tease
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 18th May 2009 8:04pm
MY pictures

smile

Attached picture DSCF6393_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF6394_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF6395_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF6396_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF6397_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF6398_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF6399_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF6400_640x480.jpg
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th May 2009 12:36am
There is scaffolding going up around it already and the area is fenced off. They have also started stripping the interior.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th May 2009 8:00am
Interiors already half stripped mate, been UE`d and fully documented!
Been well wrecked inside by the kids and copper robbers!!
Should have been down ages ago but cellars were flooded and found aspestos inside, scaffolding is up first, then stripped out and then knocked down!
Watch this space for interiour pics! happy
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th May 2009 10:54am
and thus the destruction of the north end's iconic figure has begun. i'm guessing some will miss the place whilst other will applause its death. but i had no idea the interiors was in such a state of disrepair. especially with the flooded basement (mind you maybe that why there's was a puddle nearby the celler access hatch every time i went past it)but Asbestos? how bad can it get.
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th May 2009 11:56am
Originally Posted by Shadow_Omega
i'm guessing some will miss the place whilst other will applause its death.

It's worth keeping a record of, as it has always been a landmark of the north end, plus it is the last remaining part of Ilchester Square. The actual building is absolutely solid, as there is a lot of reinforced concrete used in the construction. I look foreward to seeing the interior.

The film 'Awaydays' is out on Friday which includes scenes filmed inside the Blood Tub.

[youtube]sPDoOVW1gXs[/youtube]
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th May 2009 11:58am
would like to get some pics along verandahs and inside the flats themselves
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th May 2009 1:13pm
at least it's preserved forever in memories, films and photo's. if someone mentioned "north end" then the blood tub comes up instantly. it is indeed a special place. but sadly once again our useless and pathetic council want shut of it. erasing our heritage and slapping some fancy expensive apartments bang on top of it. it's bad enough the town hall's bieng sold!
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th May 2009 7:53am
Frame 1.12 in the trailer is at the corner of the bar in the Blood Tub!
Derek, PM me mate.
Posted By: Wench Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th May 2009 12:14pm
Awaydays looks like a "Scouse" Football Factory - still can't wait to see it though laugh
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th May 2009 3:45pm
i just went past the blood tub and the doors and windows on the top floor have been removed.
Posted By: igorarovit Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 21st May 2009 1:34pm
One last memory, before my personal Theatre of Dreams gets demolished.There was a new barmaid there one time.A very good looking , Dark haired,olive skinned lady from over Wallasey. She was about 40 years of age. She could handle all the banter from the lads on the other side of the bar, no problem. She had a majestic chest!!. We were leaning over the bar gawping at her one day,you know, like yer do, and my mate Ronnie Lawton (from Laird Street), said, sorta jokingly " I bet they,re not real".Without hesitation, and with a big smile on her face, she whipped open her blouse, and there they were: Two of the biggest bazookas that we 20 year old men-about-town had ever seen.We were gobsmacked. Our Heroine then buttoned up, and carried on serving ale.Great Memories of a great pub.They don,t build them like that any more.(Either pub, or Barmaid).
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 23rd May 2009 12:19am
22/5/2009 - Scaffolding up but nothing major happening as yet.

Attached picture IMG_0539s.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 23rd May 2009 7:53am
See The Last Ever Pictures from inside the Blood Tub Click me Theres Loads more to see

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

See The Last Ever Pictures from inside the Blood Tub Click me Theres Loads more to see
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 23rd May 2009 5:58pm
netting up!

Attached picture 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 26th May 2009 7:24pm
Looks like most of the wood is out ... lucky its not around bonfire night!

Attached picture BloodTub-IMG_0786s.JPG
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 26th May 2009 9:18pm
Maybe they've brought all the wood out so that the Council's official in-house arsonist can come and torch it...
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 26th May 2009 11:00pm
burn baby burn lamethrower
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 1st Jun 2009 6:42pm
How long was that actually standern there for
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 1st Jun 2009 7:39pm
Originally Posted by xxbad_babexx
How long was that actually standern there for
Roughly 75 years.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 1st Jun 2009 7:41pm
Too long raftl

Will someone hurry up and knock it down?

D'you reckon it would come down if I rammed it with me Micra?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 1st Jun 2009 7:44pm
This was built before Wimpy started making cardboard boxes, your micra would become a nano or a pico if you hit that building with it!
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 1st Jun 2009 7:52pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
Too long raftl

laffin if you rammed it with your micra it wouldnt budge but it would make a mess of your car laffin
Posted By: Wench Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 1st Jun 2009 8:35pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
Too long raftl

Only if you use the Turbo Boost Button laugh You could also just try reverse, you like bumping things whilst reversing raftl seeyu
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 1st Jun 2009 8:51pm
Haha like Picassos
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 1st Jun 2009 8:52pm
get a sledge hammer and ill knock it down hehe laffin
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 2nd Jun 2009 11:26am
raftl
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 2nd Jun 2009 11:31am
New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub)
Does anyone know if it ever served as a hotel
possibly only called a hotel to get past the serving on a Sunday laws that were about ages ago
Maybe the Ilchester square remains attached to it belonged to the pub
We know the 1st tier part above the pub was lived in by the manager recently
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 2nd Jun 2009 12:25pm
posted by Mark at start of topic

The Flats above were used for the Brewery and were rent free for ex-managers or Brewery Employee's
that were time served.
The First Floor out of the 3 would be for the current Manager
with an internal stair way to that level. (No longer Exists)

We were not sure when Ownership from "Birkenhead Brewery to Higgsons Brewery" happened.
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 3rd Jun 2009 12:59pm
Hello

Here are some pictures from today (3/6/09)and last week.

The front of the building is being demolished manually and some of the top floor at the front is down. More pics soon.

Attached picture tub03051a.jpg
Attached picture tub03051.jpg
Attached picture tub03052.jpg
Attached picture tub03053.jpg
Attached picture tub03054.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 3rd Jun 2009 1:53pm
nice pics thanks

What is the small squarish building at the back of the flats
I never looked at it
It may be one of those electricty substations if so will that be demolished
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 3rd Jun 2009 11:08pm
That's a garage which had an 'up and over' door on it, and the pub toilets were either side of it. That part was built on after the demolition of the rest of Ilchester Square. I'm not sure what the back looked like originally, but I think it was just a wall and a back yard for the pub.

Just round the corner into Tyrer Street there were 3 shops. There was a Dairy type shop, a sweet shop and a chippy.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 11th Jun 2009 10:44am
pics today

Attached picture blood3.JPG
Attached picture blood2.JPG
Attached picture blood1.JPG
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 11th Jun 2009 11:41am
Hello

The contractors have really got on with the demolition this week. Most of the back of the building has been knocked down in just 2 days.

CLICK HERE for my online photo album. More pictures to be added soon.

Attached picture tub1006_1.jpg
Attached picture tub1006_9.jpg
Attached picture tub1006_912.jpg
Attached picture tub1006_916.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 11th Jun 2009 4:51pm
more pics

Attached picture blood6.JPG
Attached picture blood5.JPG
Attached picture blood4.JPG
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 11th Jun 2009 6:33pm
close up!

Attached picture blood7.JPG
Posted By: purfek Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 14th Jun 2009 3:56pm
sunday 14 June 2009 update

Attached picture 3624824215_979193ebb3_b.jpg
Attached picture 3624825691_7c6387cac4_b.jpg
Attached picture 3625645718_ccde5fe406_b.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Jun 2009 6:33pm
more pics guys

Attached picture blood8.JPG
Attached picture blood9.JPG
Attached picture blood10.JPG
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Jun 2009 6:42pm
bloodtub today guys! not much left!

Attached picture blood11.JPG
Attached picture blood12.JPG
Attached picture blood13.JPG
Attached picture blood14.JPG
Attached picture blood15.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Jun 2009 6:56pm
Wow - they have speeded up haven't they, looks a lot brighter there than it has been with me today.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Jun 2009 7:34pm
well gone now. nice one dean happy
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Jun 2009 7:37pm
yerr guys r.i.p. bloodtub !!!
Posted By: hoseman Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Jun 2009 10:16pm
Looks like its had a re fit!!!! LOL
All gone now, just clearing up to do, fill in the cellars and cover with soil / grass! Will look like nothing was ever there! cry
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 17th Jun 2009 10:31pm
Great pics

Cheers guys thumbsup
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th Jun 2009 7:20pm
last pics guys gone!!

Attached picture blood16.JPG
Attached picture blood17.JPG
Attached picture blood18.JPG
Attached picture blood19.JPG
Attached picture blood20.JPG
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th Jun 2009 8:53pm
The Blood Tub is now just a pile of bricks. Pictures coming soon.

Meanwhile, here is an old photo gallery of the North end on the BBC website including the Blood Tub:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/voices/gallerys/bhead_pop.html

This is from the BBC voices project.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/voices/bhead.shtml
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 19th Jun 2009 8:59pm
good links there northender wiki u.e. picks comming soon!
sneak pic!

Attached picture blood12.JPG
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Jun 2009 3:10am
Looks like Khan Younis haha!

laugh
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Jun 2009 11:38am
Here is a slightly larger version of the New Dock Pub picture which has been resized using jpegsizer. Unfortunately the definition isn't that good.

Attached picture new_dock_pub_ww.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Jun 2009 11:40am

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Jun 2009 4:42pm
Cool read thanks smile

Originally Posted by Mark

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Jun 2009 5:10pm
look at it now want to know the history? see above!

Description: before!
Attached picture 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.JPG

Description: last wall standing!
Attached picture blood18.JPG
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 20th Jun 2009 10:48pm
Here are some pictures from 18 June. I will be posting some earlier ones soon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Northender Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 25th Jun 2009 11:45pm
Here are some pictures of the cellar which is (or was) quite big:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: D_J_M Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 7th Jul 2011 9:31am
could you maybe make these bigger ducko?
Posted By: mikeeb Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 1st Jun 2020 6:27pm
Just read through this old topic to bring back some pleasant memories.
I lived on Gautby Road and it was my local. Damn, I still miss this pub.
frown
Posted By: sunnyside Re: 338 New Dock Hotel (Blood Tub) - 4th Jul 2020 9:22pm
[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral