Forums
Posted By: venice Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 6th Aug 2016 3:14pm
Waiting for someone in Asda carpark Chester one dry but windy day recently when a nice Mercedes with three Asians in, drew up and parked in the opposite aisle . Woman, husband and adult son it would seem. OH being a petrolhead was staring admiring the car , when quite suddenly they all got out and started staring intently all around them , and pointing here and there. Finally the woman, dove back into the car ,divested herself of one garment and re-appeared with a new garment which she struggled in the strong wind to get into. Next out was a prayer mat ,also victim to the wind when she attempted to keep it in place on the carpark tarmac . Her husband got back into the car, and the helpful son put his feet on the corners of theflapping mat. The woman then , prostrated herself on it (presumably hoping she was now facing East) and continued to pray for 10 minutes solid. Now THAT is dedication!
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 6th Aug 2016 3:18pm
omg
Posted By: Dilly Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 6th Aug 2016 3:44pm
Originally Posted by venice
Waiting for someone in Asda carpark Chester one dry but windy day recently when a nice Mercedes with three Asians in, drew up and parked in the opposite aisle . Woman, husband and adult son it would seem. OH being a petrolhead was staring admiring the car , when quite suddenly they all got out and started staring intently all around them , and pointing here and there. Finally the woman, dove back into the car ,divested herself of one garment and re-appeared with a new garment which she struggled in the strong wind to get into. Next out was a prayer mat ,also victim to the wind when she attempted to keep it in place on the carpark tarmac . Her husband got back into the car, and the helpful son put his feet on the corners of theflapping mat. The woman then , prostrated herself on it (presumably hoping she was now facing East) and continued to pray for 10 minutes solid. Now THAT is dedication!

I wouldn't say dedication, I'd call it fanatical !
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 6th Aug 2016 4:37pm
I'd call it faith. If I was a Muslim in unfamiliar territory I think I'd carry a compass with me - and possibly a street atlas so I didn't have to end up praying in a car park?
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 6th Aug 2016 7:53pm
Religion is dangerous
Always has been
Henry VIII wanted a divorce but religion ruled he could not
So he made his own rules
Religion as a premise is fine but it's the way people can manipulate it that makes it bad

Posted By: venice Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 6th Aug 2016 8:07pm
Agreed Greenwood ,or Id improve my time planning to make sure I was somewhere more private at the specific time prayer was required.

Dilly , Im just watching my p's and q's pc grin

Mike , Yep.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 6th Aug 2016 9:36pm
Originally Posted by venice
Waiting for someone in Asda carpark Chester one dry day recently when a nice Mercedes with three Asians in, drew up and parked in the opposite aisle . Woman, husband and adult son it would seem. OH being a petrolhead was staring admiring the car , when quite suddenly they all got out and started staring intently all around them , and pointing here and there. Finally the woman, dove back into the car ,divested herself of one garment and re-appeared with a new garment . Next out was a prayer mat , on the carpark tarmac . Her husband got back into the car, The woman then , prostrated herself on it (presumably hoping she was now facing East) and continued to pray for 10 minutes solid. Now THAT is dedication!
Edited to remove references to Wind - is the womans praying still dedication?
Posted By: venice Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 6th Aug 2016 10:15pm
Not sure if Im picking up your point Rude, but yes , the wind just made the procedure that bit more of a challenge.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 6th Aug 2016 11:58pm
Maybe she had just bought it from Dunelm and was giving it a test. Is it when they start shouting Allah Akhbar that we need to get worried.
Posted By: granny Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 12:04am
Originally Posted by mikeeb
Religion is dangerous
Always has been
So he made his own rules
Religion as a premise is fine but it's the way people can manipulate it that makes it bad

Henry VIII must have done us all a favour and we didn't expect to find Richard III in a car park either. smile

Anyway, there is a Mosque in Chester, but I think their prayers have to be said at certain times of day and basically, exactly where you are at that given time.
Similar to those who were getting rid of 'demons' in the Mersey a few years ago. I can't remember which group they were.

[youtube]HWZ0kScQT14[/youtube]

Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 12:31am
What Henry VIII shown was that you can believe in something else and not go to hell
He is the King after all (Just believe in me or die grin )
I was building the foundation for a mosque in Oldham and there was an old guy there every morning coming out of the mosque at about 7:15 - 7:30. obviously finishing prayer. Let me tell tell you, our worlds could not have been different, what a gentleman
He was doing what he believed and didn't look at us any different and always said hello, unlike some of the younger flock that turned up in the afternoon and didn't like us or acknowledge us if we said hello
This was a tough crowd
And let me tell you (again) laugh we are just as ignorant as them
Posted By: granny Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 12:40am
What Henry VIII shown was that you can believe in something else and not go to hell
He is the King after all (Just believe in me or die grin )

No, Henry VIII didn't like the 'rules' of the Roman Catholic Church. That's different; and may I ask, how Mikey, do you know where he ended up or didn't end up ????
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 12:57am
Originally Posted by granny
No, Henry VIII didn't like the 'rules' of the Roman Catholic Church. That's different; and may I ask, how Mikey, do you know where he ended up or didn't end up ????

That is not different granny
If he actually believed in 'heaven and hell' he would not have broken the rules of the bible.
Did everyone that was forced to follow his new 'reformation' through duress, die and go to hell?
The ones that followed, followed a higher power, or die

"and may I ask, how Mikey, do you know where he ended up or didn't end up ???? "
That is why I do not follow a certain religion.
When the time comes and you find out you were wrong all this time, DOH!
I believe there is something, I just don't know what
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 3:31am
granny
Never stop debating happy
Posted By: MikeT Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 6:53am
I'd have been more impressed if the mat levitated and she flew off somewhere on it.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 8:49am
Many years ago I went to London by pre-electrified train. My employer paid for first class and I got comfortably installed in a first class compartment. Shortly before the train started an extremely distinguished looking gentleman carrying a brief case joined me, and we nodded politely to each other and read our newspapers, respecting each other's privacy in traditional English fashion. He could quite easily have been a very senior Whitehall mandarin or a high court judge.

Nobody joined us and we had left Crewe when he looked at his watch, and asked me which direction I thought we were going. I said I wasn't quite sure but I thought roughly southwest. He agree with this, thanked me and retrieved his briefcase and took what turned out to be a prayer mat from it. Arranging this as best he could on the floor he knelt on it and began his devotions. Having concluded them, after probably about ten minutes, he got up, replaced his prayer mat and sat down and resumed his crossword.

I didn't like to tell him that I and he had got the direction quite wrong, and he was actually facing, not Mecca, but Rugeley power station.
Posted By: granny Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 9:18am
It is different Mikey, Henry VIII did not break the rules of the bible, he broke the ruling of the Roman Catholic church or the Pope.

In the bible it is recognised that divorce is going to occur. In the Old Testament, laws were laid down in order to protect the rights of divorcées, especially women .
That just shows how little you know, Mikey smile

After the reformation the rules were relaxed in this country. Hence the Church of England. Then Mary reverted to Catholicism and continued with beheadings, particularly of Bishops who had been allowed to get married during King Edward VI brief reign. They had to denounce their wives and many were burnt at the stake. Then Elizabeth's turn...etc. . So I rest my case.

When the time comes, how will I be able find out I was wrong all this time ? Think before you speak young man.
Posted By: granny Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 10:00am
Originally Posted by Excoriator
Many years ago I went to London by pre-electrified train. My employer paid for first class and I got comfortably installed in a first class compartment. Shortly before the train started an extremely distinguished looking gentleman carrying a brief case joined me, and we nodded politely to each other and read our newspapers, respecting each other's privacy in traditional English fashion. He could quite easily have been a very senior Whitehall mandarin or a high court judge.

Nobody joined us and we had left Crewe when he looked at his watch, and asked me which direction I thought we were going. I said I wasn't quite sure but I thought roughly southwest. He agree with this, thanked me and retrieved his briefcase and took what turned out to be a prayer mat from it. Arranging this as best he could on the floor he knelt on it and began his devotions. Having concluded them, after probably about ten minutes, he got up, replaced his prayer mat and sat down and resumed his crossword.

I didn't like to tell him that I and he had got the direction quite wrong, and he was actually facing, not Mecca, but Rugeley power station.

Did his actions make you feel uncomfortable Ex ? I think I would have been so. Something not experienced before, is a bit bewildering.
Posted By: cools Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 10:21am
Many years ago I was on a full plane (Air Italia) and a man was sitting opposite me in other aisle with full robes and headgear on , think he may have of Jewish or Greek Orthodox origin.No sooner had flight departed Heathrow and seat belts were unbuckled he jumped up and with these beads in his hand started praying. Obviously I was shocked but then he sat down so I thought that was it but no every 20 mins or so he did same thing everyone was getting abit annoyed but nothing was said to him. If it happened today I think we would have all jumped on him , thinking he was a terrorist. Maybe he was a nervous flyer, who knows?
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 11:21am
It is different Mikey, Henry VIII did not break the rules of the bible, he broke the ruling of the Roman Catholic church or the Pope.

In the bible it is recognised that divorce is going to occur. In the Old Testament, laws were laid down in order to protect the rights of divorcées, especially women .
That just shows how little you know, Mikey smile

After the reformation the rules were relaxed in this country. Hence the Church of England. Then Mary reverted to Catholicism and continued with beheadings, particularly of Bishops who had been allowed to get married during King Edward VI brief reign. They had to denounce their wives and many were burnt at the stake. Then Elizabeth's turn...etc. . So I rest my case.

When the time comes, how will I be able find out I was wrong all this time ? Think before you speak young man.

Granny you win hands down on quoting the bible and rules regarding its text, my bad wink
We both agree that Henry VIII made a choice through his interpretation of the bible, yes?
So what is the difference between the roman catholic church, the pope, Henry VIII and any other charlatan that can interpret the bible as he see's fit?
Religion is dangerous granny.
I will meet my maker when the time comes and will not be force fed beliefs that are not backed up
By the way granny, I cannot stop thinking of a 49ish hour glass body. Why? wink

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 2:26pm
Religion is dangerous granny.---Thats like saying Driving or Football is dangerous

I will meet my maker when the time comes and will not be force fed beliefs that are not backed up-----How would you define being "backed up". For many the bible reveals the plans of God many scoff at that but the same people would gladly believe anything in the e.g.Enclopaedia Brittanica

By the way granny, I cannot stop thinking of a 49ish hour glass body. Why? wink
---Perhaps Granny needs to back that up!!
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 2:38pm
Driving and football are dangerous, no denying that
Define backed up: Proved to be true e.g. Encyclopedia Brittanica wink
"By the way granny, I cannot stop thinking of a 49ish hour glass body. Why? wink---Perhaps Granny needs to back that up!!" Again true grin
Posted By: granny Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 4:52pm
Everything s dangerous Mikey.

Still not understanding are you. Henry VIII split from the church in Rome, because he wanted a divorce, nothing to do with bible interpretation. Rome would not allow his divorce because the Roman Catholic church did not approve.

Is this the reason you conclude religion is dangerous.

quote "So what is the difference between the roman catholic church, the pope, Henry VIII and any other charlatan that can interpret the bible as he see's fit?"

The danger element comes from those who like to put forward their own misinformed calculations and interpretations to justify themselves.

Although, Henry VIII did not do that , he was a devout Roman Catholic and simply wanted a divorce from Catherine of Aragon. England also had Protestantism at the same time. Catherine of Aragon was Spanish , Spain being a very Roman Catholic country too. Henry VII had wanted to unite England with the powerful Spanish dynasty for peace and security and his son Prince Arthur married Catherine of Aragon of Spain.(arranged marriage) 5 months after their marriage, Arthur died and Henry VII had made his son Prince Henry (VIII) vow to marry Catherine, the then Princess of Wales.
This is what happened. Needless to say there was a lot of politics involved and the Spanish connection was to be liquidated if Henry VIII was allowed to divorce her. So you see, it wasn't simply to do with the bible or religion. He wanted 'OUT' after 24 yrs of marriage and the only way, was to break with the Church of Rome.
Spain at the time of Elizabeth 1st was still trying to get in the door again, resulting in the Spanish Armada .
Posted By: granny Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 5:04pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
By the way granny, I cannot stop thinking of a 49ish hour glass body. Why? wink[/i
---Perhaps Granny needs to back that up!!

What's that supposed to mean Fish ? A saucy comment for one so young. grin
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 5:17pm

quote "So what is the difference between the roman catholic church, the pope, Henry VIII and any other charlatan that can interpret the bible as he see's fit?"

The danger element comes from those who like to put forward their own misinformed calculations and interpretations to justify themselves.

Correct, and even more correct
There is the danger granny, in religion, rather than morale belief of what is right and wrong
I like you and you like me but we have different beliefs, no problem smile
Just imagine a world without religion
What do you think it would be like?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 5:19pm

Correct, and even more correct
There is the danger granny, in religion, rather than morale belief of what is right and wrong
I like you and you like me but we have different beliefs, no problem smile
Just imagine a world without religion
What do you think it would be like?

Simply better !
Posted By: casper Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 5:34pm
Could have been worry beads.
Posted By: granny Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 5:35pm
A world without religion, Mikey ? ISIS on every street corner, that's what it would be like. No rules, no guidance and no help.

Cools and Ex made posts about their experience, but they were a gentleman's beliefs of peace through his enforced religious following. That I agree, is how we were in this country and Europe also 450 years ago, but we eventually had a choice and considering there are 2.2 billion Christians , by choice , in the world, it can't be so bad. Today, we are all very nervous about any such experience relating to Islam, and why would that be, do you think ? Those who pray and those who are dead are not to be feared. Do you fear people who meditate, because that's what prayer amounts to. Are they dangerous people ?

Anyway, I think we need to meet for coffee , discuss this much further.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 8:39pm

Agh- but would he find that 49ish hour glass figure in the café?

Trouble with an hour glass figure at 49 is that you need to stand on your head to turn back time!
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 8:56pm
Do you fear people who meditate, because that's what prayer amounts to. Are they dangerous people ?

No granny.
The premise of religion is sound, and I will always believe that. Most of our morales are borne out of some sort of inherited belief
Religion is at its base, politics
I always vote labour wink but have the choice of changing my mind without going to hell or burning at the gates of....You know what I mean granny wink

Agreed granny. Just don't tell casper whistle
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 8:59pm
Agh- but would he find that 49ish hour glass figure in the café?

Trouble with an hour glass figure at 49 is that you need to stand on your head to turn back time!

Hahahaha
You are spoiling it fish laugh
Posted By: starakita Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 9:08pm
Religion is dangerous
Always has been
So he made his own rules

Henry VIII must have done us all a favour and we didn't expect to find Richard III in a car park either. smile

Anyway, there is a Mosque in Chester, but I think their prayers have to be said at certain times of day and basically, exactly where you are at that given time.
Similar to those who were getting rid of 'demons' in the Mersey a few years ago. I can't remember which group they were.

[youtube]HWZ0kScQT14[/youtube]

my son was down there & he saw this or could of been another one would of been about 5 yrs ago.I was down on the beach with Misty on a Sunday about 3 or 4 months ago,looks like same group down by the fort singing & praying & I was thinking they'd better get a move on as the tide was coming in
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 9:09pm
.i think you should meet granny for a chat and coffee mikeeb lol.

Attached picture index.jpg
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 7th Aug 2016 9:11pm
No, Granny. I was a little surprised, but no more than that. It was all perfectly civilised. I am an atheist, but it is really no more bizarre than the antics of the C of E, who seem to believe in three gods magically melded into one! It has been carefully explained to me, but made about as much sense as a triangle with four sides!

Some people believe in imaginary friends of various shape and size, some don't but there is no reason not to live together in tolerance.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 8th Aug 2016 9:16pm
the antics of the C of E, who seem to believe in three gods magically melded into one!

Compound unity

1+1+1=3

1x1x1=1
Posted By: granny Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 9th Aug 2016 12:21am
The 'Trinity' is a bit controversial anyway. Thought to be an addition after the last book in the bible was written. It's not something that too many can get their head around, and basically, I don't think that really matters too much either.
I found a simplified diagram, which was quite straight forward when looking at it, but still didn't make any sense, so abandoned the whole idea.

By the way, those who can, all need to go forth and multiply , according to others who have the demographics of reduction in the West's and Europe's populations. If we don't, we are facing a serious situation which will bite us on the bum. So get cracking chaps, before it's too late. At 49ish, I can't help. So sorry. verysorry

One may ask what has all this got to do with a car park. Don't know the answer to that either , but I'm sure plenty of babies have been conceived in the back of a car.
Posted By: granny Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 9th Aug 2016 2:05pm
This from 2008 is why you have to 'go forth and multiply' . Demographics are possibly rather different now in 2016.

[youtube]M27spDwM7zY[/youtube]

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 9th Aug 2016 9:31pm
By the way, those who can, all need to go forth and multiply
One may ask what has all this got to do with a car park. Don't know the answer to that either , but I'm sure plenty of babies have been conceived in the back of a car.

If anyones good at yoga I have a BMW mini
Posted By: Dilly Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 9th Aug 2016 9:41pm

You could always use your trailer Fish,some ladies like alfresco smile
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 9th Aug 2016 10:48pm
Originally Posted by Dilly

Think you must have had better luck than me Dilly--ive not found one yet. Maybe its the size of me trailer!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Didnt expect this in a carpark. - 10th Aug 2016 7:36am
Originally Posted by Dilly

Think you must have had better luck than me Dilly--ive not found one yet. Maybe its the size of me trailer!

Could be the way you are attaching your ball hitch, try being a little more gentle smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral