Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum Holidays mainly in Scotland - 24th Jul 2016 3:34pm
I have just returned from coach holiday based in Portpatrick in Galloway.

It was my type of scenery and not overrun by tourists.

Can anyone suggest somewhere similar on the coast for me to consider next year. I like strolling and gardens but don't want to do serious walking.
Posted By: granny Re: Holidays mainly in Scotland - 24th Jul 2016 5:49pm
Is this worth a glance , Pax. How are you ? Long time no see .You must have enjoyed some nice weather for your hols.

http://www.justgoholidays.com/national-trust-coach-holidays
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Holidays mainly in Scotland - 24th Jul 2016 6:26pm
HF Holidays do preorganised walking holidays with dinner bed and breakfast. Did 3 days lake district with some friends few years ago. Range of walks.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Holidays mainly in Scotland - 24th Jul 2016 6:51pm
Galloway is a lovely area, and often overlooked as people tend to head north for the more dramatic Highlands. I camped near Wigtown a few years ago and visited Portpatrick and Port Logan (anyone remember the tv series '2000 Acres of Sky'?); Whithorn and Isle of Whithorn were interesting too.

What about the east coast, and the Alnwick area? seriously quaint coastal villages galore, and Lindisfarne not too far up the coast; not forgetting Alnwick Castle and the amazing Alnwick Gardens (with gorgeous tree houses).
Posted By: snowhite Re: Holidays mainly in Scotland - 24th Jul 2016 9:25pm
Look on Airbnb they have loads of places and meets your budget on what accommodation you require.
Keep us updated
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Holidays mainly in Scotland - 25th Jul 2016 10:22pm
That sounds so relaxing and peaceful, I could do with a bit of that myself.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Holidays mainly in Scotland - 26th Jul 2016 12:51pm
We went to Isle of Whithorn and nearby villages.
I did a five day trip based in Sheffield this Spring and enjoyed Nothumberland villages and coast during that time.
Thanks to all the good ideas. I will look them up.
Posted By: futurepast Re: Holidays mainly in Scotland - 29th Jul 2016 11:16pm
The Kerry peninsular is an amazing place situated in the southwest region of Eire, a favorite of mine is Dingle town and a visit out to see the local favorite Fungie the Dingle dolphin. The ring of Kerry is a coach tour around the Kerry coast, you can drive the route yourself if you prefare,this way you can stop and sight see when and if you like, if you do go on holiday to Kerry a visit to the Killarney lakes is a must.
Posted By: granny Re: Holidays mainly in Scotland - 30th Jul 2016 8:21am
My one and only trip to the ring of Kerry was in 1970. We hitch hiked across from Dublin and ended up by chance,in Dingle Bay. There was nothing there.Can you imagine Dingle Bay with just one battered cottage on the beach ? Inhabitant,one Michael Grimes, who had a boat company consisting of two boats. One of them had sunk in gales the previous week, so we helped him locate and rescue it from the bay. That was a week to remember. Perfectly beautiful, and strangely Irish. Not a soul or a shop or a bus or anything. He collected his newspaper once every couple of weeks from the nearest town. We swam in the sea at night and the phosphorus made us sparkle and shimmer. His settee as an old car seat in front of his peat fire roared that day and night (in September) A robin drank from his kitchen tap, and although perfectly Irish, this man was exceedingly clever , as many are. Lots more unusual memories of that week , thanks for reminding me futurepast.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral