Forums
Posted By: cools Funerals - 30th Sep 2015 9:06am
Cannot find the thread about funerals we discussed so started again. Morbid subject I know. Another way to avoid the cost of funeral, body donation. Watched a very depressing programme last night on tv about donating your body to science. Very hard to watch and quite shocked .it followed a man who only had a short time left and he went down this road. We saw him talking about it and then the process of him being embalmed and prepared for the students. Couldn't do it myself but good that some people can. Did anybody else watch it?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Funerals - 30th Sep 2015 9:18am
I seen a little of it but turned it off,a bit sad to watch.the lady I did see on it was so brave in what she was facing and her decision to donate her body.
Posted By: cools Re: Funerals - 30th Sep 2015 9:22am
It was hard to watch Dilly and yes she was brave. It's on again next week so guess we will see her end story.
Posted By: venice Re: Funerals - 30th Sep 2015 9:33am
I didnt watch it as Ive only just got my mums ashes back from Liverpool Uni research unit , so I thought it might upset me unecessarily.
Posted By: cools Re: Funerals - 30th Sep 2015 9:38am
Oh yes quite understand Venice. Think it would have been upsetting for you but I must say you should be proud of your mum and what she did who knows what advances in medicine were learned by her decision . Very brave lady..
Posted By: venice Re: Funerals - 30th Sep 2015 11:37am
Thanks cools. Her mum and dad did the same thing - sort of sets a precedence , but I havent made any definate moves yet. frown
Posted By: doglover4 Re: Funerals - 30th Sep 2015 5:44pm
I watched it and although upsetting found it inspiring. I have organ donor card and wish my body to be used if that is possible but not sure it can as time for embalming might be a problem? Anyone know the answer?
Posted By: venice Re: Funerals - 30th Sep 2015 6:56pm
Not sure what you mean, can you elaborate ?
Posted By: doglover4 Re: Funerals - 1st Oct 2015 12:20pm
Seemed like bodies are taken to be embalmed very quickly. Would it be too late for mine to go through embalming after any useful organs have been retrieved?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Funerals - 1st Oct 2015 5:56pm
Yes, organs are removed very quickly otherwise they are useless.

You talking about embalming for your disposal (pointless apart from making undertakers richer) or embalming for use in medical science?

There is no great hurry for embalming the formaldehyde isn't fussy.
Posted By: doglover4 Re: Funerals - 2nd Oct 2015 12:37pm
For use in Medical Science; not going to line the undertakers pockets, I think they get more than enough already!!!
Posted By: venice Re: Funerals - 3rd Oct 2015 5:11pm
Yes its true, there is some sort deadline for a body to be used for research, although not sure exactly what it is, but I know that if you die at the weekend /bank holiday etc, the University won't take you and you proceed normally with the FD's funeral, because keeping you on ice so to speak till a work day, isnt sufficient. I dont know what embarming has to do with it though (didnt see prog as you know). They couldnt embarm it whilst using it I wouldnt have thought ,and I dont get why they would embarm it for cremation?
Posted By: cools Re: Funerals - 3rd Oct 2015 5:47pm
I saw the prog Venice and from what I gather they embalm you pretty quickly as they want to keep the body from deteriating and in as good as condition as possible. It may be awhile before the body is used. I hope I haven't upset you there as I know it's very personal to you.
Posted By: venice Re: Funerals - 3rd Oct 2015 10:01pm
Ah, sorry, stupid me- for some reason I had it in my head that embarming meant wrapping you up after putting preservatives in you , but google has just told me that embarming is the actual act of using the preservative fluid . My misunderstanding will explain my daft answer! No you havent upset me cools, words are fine, its just the live film might have been a bit too graphic for me.
Posted By: granny Re: Funerals - 13th Oct 2015 9:25pm
At the weekend I was looking at funeral bills of grandfather in 1954

Funeral £28, Cremation £5 and a couple of other things adding to total cost of £37-5-11d.

Grandfathers pension paid to grandmother from BICC £5-8-4d per month.

Rent just over £7-0-0d per month.

She used to take in lodgers to supplement her income. In the end she could not manage and took a position of housekeeper/companion to an elderly lady living on her own. She must have been well into her sixties then.
Posted By: chris58 Re: Funerals - 16th Oct 2015 8:57pm
Ive watched both episodes, what brave families i admire them so much, its a hard enough time as it is without cameras. Convinced me to tell my family i want to donate my body (thought about it on and off for good few years). I presume you have to legally make your wishes known?
Posted By: venice Re: Funerals - 16th Oct 2015 10:34pm
If you just want your body to be generally useful in terms of donating parts ,then you only need to carry a donor card. If you want to go to a specific place such as a university for teaching or research, then you need to contact the bequeathals office of said institution .

They give you forms to fill in , questions about past medical history , and explain that acceptance of your body on death will be subject to you not having died of certain things , and also whether the university or whatever actually requires a body at that particular time , as they can only take so many. You return the forms , keep a set yourself , and make sure your family or friend or Dr , know they exist and where they are , because those you leave behind, need to act fast in contacting wherever you have registered.
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: Funerals - 17th Oct 2015 8:33pm
Chris if you want to donate you're body then you contact the University directly to make the necessary arrangements.( your family cannot insist it is what you want after you're death ) You can stipulate a length of time they keep you for prior to funeral. I have a friend who works in said department. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Collar Re: Funerals - 21st Oct 2015 1:34pm
A donor card is not the only way to tell your family of your wishes. Of course, when it comes to your passing, your family may have forgotton about the donor card unless of course you stick it around your neck and wear it.

By going down the university route, this could be a safer option but it would be reliant upon somebody finding the forms when you pass. Again making sure your family and doctor know is good to.

However, a combination of the above plus including it in your Will would seal the deal so to speak. You can include all sorts of things in your Will including funeral arrangements and usage of your body for scientific purposes.

If you require assistance with drafting a Will, please let me know
© Wirral-Wikiwirral