Forums
Posted By: cools Vitamin D - 3rd Aug 2015 6:47pm
Hearing a lot about everybody not getting enough Vit D due to lack of sunshine. Does anybody take it and have views on the benefits? I,m going to get some because can't see us having any sort of summer again.
Posted By: Madge Re: Vitamin D - 3rd Aug 2015 9:20pm
I was prescribed it by a specilist, for a condition i have and it has had a good positive effect, but you do have to be careful as too much can cause medical problems
Posted By: j_demo Re: Vitamin D - 3rd Aug 2015 9:44pm
Originally Posted by Madge
I was prescribed it by a specilist, for a condition i have and it has had a good positive effect, but you do have to be careful as too much can cause medical problems

you sure about the too much bit?

The risk of getting too much vitamin D is considered to be extremely low.
Source
Posted By: chriskay Re: Vitamin D - 3rd Aug 2015 10:04pm
"Extremely low" doesn't mean non-existent: people react differently.
Posted By: granny Re: Vitamin D - 3rd Aug 2015 10:16pm
Cod liver oil capsules, vit D. Took 2 day with breakfast every day for over 20 years. Father's instructions. Did a lot of good I would say, but in those quantities certainly can't do any harm, Cools.
Posted By: hagar Re: Vitamin D - 3rd Aug 2015 11:16pm
Had cod liver oil rammed down my throat as a kid.The last D i had was in 1985 it was a double D!
Posted By: Madge Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 1:08am
Not 100% no, but when i queried with my doc if i should carry on taking them, they said as long as i didnt take it in another form, at the same time for instance a multi vitamin, as in their words, it could cause problems, they didnt outline the probems,

Originally Posted by j_demo
Originally Posted by Madge

you sure about the too much bit?

The risk of getting too much vitamin D is considered to be extremely low.
Source
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 1:12am
I take 5ug of vitamin D2 and cod liver oil for the omega 3 daily.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 7:53am
Originally Posted by hagar
Had cod liver oil rammed down my throat as a kid.The last D i had was in 1985 it was a double D!

I was force fed Scotts (?) Cod Liver Oil when young. A tablespoon of vile tasting, off white glutinous gunge after breakfast every day before school. Thanks a bunch Mum. The evil bottle had a picture on it of a bloke carrying a huge fish on his back. Burned into my memory!!!
Posted By: cools Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 8:04am
Yeah I remember Pinz standing in line ready to get the dreaded cod liver oil and then the nice orange juice...
Posted By: cools Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 8:07am
On a more serious note have been reading that Rickets is making a return in children, because lack of vit D, maybe that practice of getting it at nursery should return, but forgot you can't, give anything to kids at school. Claim era.
Posted By: granny Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 8:55am
Then there were the yeast tablets ! About a dozen of those very morning. Father said Claudette Colbert took them (a film star) and she had a lovely skin ! So we had to take them also. ha!

At one point when I was quite small I think, a couple of tablespoons of malt were also on the daily dose. What was that for ?? It tasted ok.

Isn't it strange how we can remember such tastes and consistencies so very clearly.

Posted By: chriskay Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 11:06am

Attached picture P1000204.jpg
Attached picture P1000202.jpg
Attached picture P1000203.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 1:19pm
Originally Posted by cools
On a more serious note have been reading that Rickets is making a return in children, because lack of vit D, maybe that practice of getting it at nursery should return, but forgot you can't, give anything to kids at school. Claim era.

There used to compulsory fortification of various foods and drinks but our clever governments in their infinite wisdom have chosen to remove most of those requirements! Of course its in the government's interest to not extend the life of the population.
Posted By: granny Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 3:48pm
@ Chriskay. Very good. Our malt came in brown glass jars. I dare say the aftermath of the war and rations were still being implemented up until about 1955. So supplements such as the above would have been greatly needed.

More cases of rickets in Africa, Asia and other hot countries, due to the skin of the native people being thicker and not so absorbing of the vitamin D from the sun.

Expectant mothers ,mother's with babies up to 1yr and children up to 4 yrs get vitamin supplements from the NHS.

We do have to take some responsibility for our own vitamin requirements after a certain age. Masses amount have been poured into recommendations for healthy eating diets and schools have been included.

Don't think it's anything to do with any government's interest in not wanting to extend the life of the population. Just bring the 'Liverpool Pathway' back.

When we see how much is spent on cancer treatment for older people. That should throw your theory out of the window DD.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 5:03pm
Originally Posted by granny
When we see how much is spent on cancer treatment for older people. That should throw your theory out of the window DD.

They have a target to keep you alive for 10 years after diagnosis, not indefinite.

The government are on a quandary over pensioners because both main parties see that they vote for them (???) and pensioner are always a good story for the media.

I still don't understand why they removed food fortification, the excuse in one case (margarines) that there were too many loopholes (spreads as opposed to true margarine) and as much of it wasn't fortified they saw little point in it - surely the correct answer would have been to close the loopholes, the cost of fortification was negligible, some companies still fortify voluntarily (ignoring the ultra cheap Vitamin C marketing ploy).
Posted By: granny Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 5:43pm
Eat butter. It's better for you. grin
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 5:58pm
Its true to a point, we overdose on Omega 6 and don't get the corresponding amount of Omega 3. This could be the reason for the increase in a lot of diseases, the imbalance of the two encourages anything from cancer to asthma and an awful lot of complaints inbetween.

Government previously promoted Omega 6 products (eg margerine instead of butter) as healthy but are quietly doing their u-turn now they realise that they were wrong.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 7:37pm
I agree with Granny, When the war (rationing) finished my Mother said we will never ever eat margarine again, and I never knowingly have. It bore a remarkable resemblance to axle grease. It's Butter only for me. I thought the Malt was lovely, cod liver oil not so good, capsules I used to bite just for the hell of it.
Posted By: Lynda Re: Vitamin D - 4th Aug 2015 10:53pm
Ive been taking Vit D tablets for over 12 months now, prescribed by gp for deficiency......I have to have 6 monthly bloods to check kidney and liver function because of this. Too much Vitd can cause kidney problems, and cause your body to have too much calcium in your blood. It can also soften your bones as opposed to strengthening them!

I also have Vit B12 injections every 2 weeks, and 5mg folic acid daily....normally if you are deficient in Vit D, there is strong possibility you are deficient in others.
A full blood count including vitamin and mineral profile can help, but these tests are not done routinely (as I found out after 4yrs of health problems!)
Posted By: bri445 Re: Vitamin D - 10th Aug 2015 4:57pm

I was force fed Scotts (?) Cod Liver Oil when young. A tablespoon of vile tasting, off white glutinous gunge after breakfast every day before school. Thanks a bunch Mum. The evil bottle had a picture on it of a bloke carrying a huge fish on his back. Burned into my memory!!! [/quote]

You mean 'Scotts Emulsion'. I remember it well and it's still available, though now in fruity flavours!
I still have trouble in swallowing the modern version in capsule form!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral