Forums
Posted By: granny Walmart Policy on Piggies - 7th May 2014 11:18pm
Someone has just sent this to me and whilst pigs are topical at the moment, it is beyond belief. Showing how Walmart keep their pigs at their factories.(U.S.)
I don't eat pork because I think pigs are too intelligent and they are also considered to be the nearest thing to human meat.

This is heart breaking and quite honestly sickening
There is one planned on American scale for Derbyshire , for whom I don't know, but the county council keep knocking it back. Trouble is it's only a matter of time before someone is corrupted.

I will not be shopping at Walmart if this is price the animals have to pay for our cheaper food. They need a lot more supporters. Spread it around.

https://www.change.org/petitions/speak-out-against-walmart-s-cruelty-to-pigs
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 7th May 2014 11:25pm
I never shop at Walmart anyway.
Posted By: venice Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 7:26am
Dont forget peeps, Walmart own Asda , so you can still threaten to stop shopping there . Granny is right, this cruelty is just totally unacceptable and sickening - (although its not that long since it was the same in this country ,and theres still plenty of cruelty within factory farming here.)

If you cant face watching this clip- fair enough , but pleeeeze take others word for it that this routine cruelty is beyond the pale --and move on to the signing against it bit. Yanking testicles out of unanaesthetized piglets and keeping pigs in body size containers whilst they go mad from boredom, just isnt acceptable. Surely every human with any feelings would be against it?
Dogs and pigs share similar intelligence. God, can you imagine what your dog would be like if you boxed it inside a kennel so small it couldnt turn round ----and just left it there with nothing to do? --- for life! ( The defence is that its only when theyre pregnant - but they are KEPT pregnant !

The main British organization that tries to spread the word about how farm animals are really kept , is CIWF - well worth supporting.

http://ciwf.org.uk/what_we_do/pigs/default.aspx
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 9:41am
How relevant is this to the UK though? And how accurate? It wouldn't be the first time a change.org petition has been inaccurate or misleading.

The UK is one of the kindest nations to its animals bred for food, there was something on Countryfile about it last year, so unless we're importing pork from the US I can't really see the point.

Yes, you can boycott Asda but again, what would be the point? Its not like they can just leave the Walmart group. And what about the farmers whose meat sold there is produced in a humane manner? And I can't see a giant conglomerate caring that a couple of people no longer shop there.

Posted By: venice Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 10:23am
Firstly with petitions, even threats although maybe not carried out,have an effect.Meat produced kindly in this country is usually labelled anyway, so why should it affect British farmers?

Secondly,watch the video if you have any doubt that this happens and check out Compassion in World Farming link.They are showing similar practices of cruelty in factory farming. The clip doesnt look remotely possible that its stage-managed or doctored to me.
Lastly, if evil things are not challenged unless they happen in the country we live in , it would continue to be acceptable in the offending country , and suffering animals are suffering animals , wherever they are living .Yes things have improved in the UK - but they wouldnt have without the campaigning that has gone on .

Would you avoid supporting a movement against female circumcision just because it didnt happen here ?(not legally anyway) Of course you wouldn't hopefully- because if something is cruelly wrong ANYWHERE and happening to beings that cant help themselves ,most of us feel a moral obligation and indeed a wish, to voice our condemnation.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 10:43am
I couldn't watch the video all the way through, I felt sickened.
Posted By: venice Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 10:46am
But did you feel upset enough to sign ,registering your non acceptance of these practices?
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 11:30am
I think this and other cases are highly relevant to the UK as we are part of the EU, of which other EU countries don't come anywhere near our standards. We do import meat, from America and EU (look at where our horse meat came from) and as other foreign companies are buying British companies right left and centre, and then flouting the conditions decreed as protection, it is in our own interests that we don't allow anything we deem unnatural, cruel, offensive or indeed inhumane to our way of life and living standards to be jeopardized for the future.
I think Venice and I both know Walmart won't give a tick about us not shopping with them, but the arrogance of their behaviour in this matter can prove that we also have feelings, and I won't be able to stomach anything again from their outlets.
Venice made a valid point in her statement ......

"Would you avoid supporting a movement against female circumcision just because it didnt happen here ?(not legally anyway) Of course you wouldn't hopefully- because if something is cruelly wrong ANYWHERE and happening to beings that cant help themselves ,most of us feel a moral obligation and indeed a wish, to voice our condemnation."

....and I am surprised the point even has to be raised.
I hope it's not a general rule of thumb in this country now ...."if it doesn't bother me, I'm not interested"... but I somehow feel that is becoming the general trend.
Shame on anyone who takes that stance, in this day and age.

I am a great believer in 'what goes around comes around' so if someone needs help and no one is listening, maybe they should ask themselves why?

Venice , everything you stated is valid and with conscience. Well said. clap

Posted By: chriskay Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 11:40am
I didn't shop at Asda even before they were taken over by Walmart; after they were, I had even less reason to shop there as I have seen the way Walmart treat their staff in the U.S.A.
The way those pigs are treated is disgraceful: I've signed.
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 1:15pm
I couldn't watch the clip all the way through - how can people on this earth treat animals like this - who gives them the right?

I have signed the petition.
Posted By: janjan Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 6:27pm
I watched the video, which left me sick to my stomach and left me in tears!! How can ANY human being put an animal through that type of cruelty? As for the people carrying out these atrocities..shame on them. That farm needs closing down immediately and any company that buys pork from them needs naming and shaming, and not just walmart
Posted By: valli Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 9:45pm
Signed
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 9:55pm
go to a slaughter house in this country when they are doing pigs, they scare them before they are slaughtered to make the meat pale. sounds like children screaming.

put me off my bacon butties for months wink

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 10:39pm
This thread and similiar ones (Halal Hysteria threads) are making me seriously review my meat-eating habits.

I firmly believe that the Daily Fail and The Scums intent was to implicitly create race division (elections in a few weeks)however, I am glad that Wiki members have focused on the debate of animal slaughter as a human food source.

Remember when 'caged hens/ eggs' were Topic of the Month?? Now, I only buy 'Happy' eggs- free range. We have noted that free range eggs make a much tastier omelette- even the colouring is differant (more yellow) than those from caged hens.

Now I do love my Morrisons 'butchers choice' range of sausages but I think I could live without them...

Truly horrified by the video. Signed and shared the petition. Thanks for highlighting this issue Granny.

Re. Walmart/ ASDA not being arsed about a 'few' boycotts- I would suggest writing to them, making them aware of your concerns and intentions with your reasons as to why- if enough people 'can be arsed' to do so then they will have to take note, surely?

As Granny said we seem to have a culture of 'Cant be arsed, does not affect me', 'nothing will change, no point trying' etc etc
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 10:44pm
think with a fair few people it's not a case of 'can't be arsed' it's more like 'can't afford'

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 10:59pm
http://asda-stores.custhelp.com/app/ask
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 8th May 2014 11:09pm
Originally Posted by mrhanky
think with a fair few people it's not a case of 'can't be arsed' it's more like 'can't afford'

Eggs? Meat? Or both? I used to be a part of the 'cannot afford free-range eggs' brigade. Happy Eggs are £2.50 ish for ten- that is just 25p per egg. I can manage that- to eat a 'guilt free' egg- its priceless.

Yes, caged hens eggs possibly work out at 10p per egg? I just can't eat them anymore....
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th May 2014 12:48am
Deliberate or not, this is the company in question and could possibly be the same factory. Happened over the weekend.
They do make a statement that there were no injuries, but seem to have forgotten the 500 pigs that have been burnt alive.
Maybe things were hotting up for them, and it was a better option to get rid. The same family are Christensen Insurance too, and much more besides.
Strangely , there seems to be very little visible reporting on this of any worth.

http://www.porknetwork.com/pork-new...in-Christensen-Farms-fire-257983751.html

Looking at the facebook page link of the Fire Dept. there seems to have also been a 'big one' while back!!

Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th May 2014 7:43am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

Thanks for that Rude. Exactly what I shall be doing. Also fully intend to support the link Venice put up, although I doubt I have the stamina now to start a local group,(which I would have done just a couple of years ago)
I have made a big decision to no longer eat meat , other than fish. Don't do pork as mentioned previously, don't do lamb as to me, it's like eating month old babies, can't afford beef on most days and pretty 'naffed orf' with chicken. So in all it wasn't too difficult.

Looking more into the previous post I made, there seems to be something phoney about the incident or report of. Does anyone else think that ? Hanky can probably tell us smile
So keep up the support for the piggies and thanks to everyone. It is gathering pace.
Posted By: Kitty21 Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th May 2014 12:17pm
Cannot watch the video, but signed x
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th May 2014 2:17pm
as above
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th May 2014 2:57pm
Thanks Snowshoes and Kitty.
You'll be pleased to know Snowshoes, that Walmart , Canada has committed to ending it's use of crates....although not sure when it is or will be.
Today I have spent looking into all types of animal cruelty. e.g. 1000's pigs buried alive in Asia due to foot and mouth. thrown in pits on top of each other and being covered up as they squeal and in their way, beg for mercy. No more vids for now, completely emotionally drained and confused at such, such cruelty. It is now causing pain, there is so much, and humans able to accept these atrocities must also not have an ounce of compassion for fellow man, nor love for life itself. Cold, calculated, carnivors. China and India are pushing forward the global requirements for more meat, so it will be a 'never ending story' but it could be a humane one and I don't understand how the World Health Organizations are not involved. There have to be health issue concerns for human consumption of diseased meat. (some pigs with cancerous growths) Can't be good eating meat with cancer cells in it.

Posted By: venice Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th May 2014 2:59pm
Thanks for signing, all you can be arsed's thumbsup -and those who will make the effort to stand up and be counted by making their strong feelings known on Rudebox's link to the guilty party
http://asda-stores.custhelp.com/app/ask

Think Mr Hanky has a point about costs. Same for free range as 'organic veg' , someone somewhere along the line is making a killing and from what you can make out, its often not the farmer, the very person who should be getting the return for effort.

A lot of people are horrified because they are told 'its just a bit more' to buy conscience meat and then when they look, sometimes its often double the price , so they feel ripped off and dont buy.

I think until the profiteers between conscience meat and plate are put in line, which will be when pigs do actually fly, welfare organizations should be more up front about potential costs, and concentrate on the mantras of making meat more affordable by buying good products sparingly /less often/using cheaper tasty cuts/ and wasting less by good meal planning.
THEN maybe more people would go ahead and buy .
Posted By: venice Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th May 2014 3:33pm
For those who would like to point out to the Chief Exec of Asda that they were horrified by that video - Imm sure if his inbox was full of UK complaints - whether he personally cared about the morality side of things or not, he would be obliged to pass the info on to parent Walmart as part of his job. Walmart has shareholders, and shareholders expect their chosen companies to keep abreast of anything that might affect sales and share prices.

ASDA CEO Andy Clarke - [email protected]

Sorry, dont know how to make the link 'live'
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 10th May 2014 8:13am
another good reason why we should not to eat pork either:

pigs contain 98% uric acid in their blood because their kidneys dont process it that much. that is why it is haram (not allowed) to eat pigs - because your basically eating something mostly saturated in urine.

South Korea

Too many piggies

[youtube]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7df_1313947613[/youtube]
Posted By: bobypam Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 10th May 2014 12:19pm
The cruelest way they are breeding pigs on a mass scale in Australia too now is mother sows can't even turn around,the stalls are that small. We have only two major supermarket chains here, and only Coles now say stall free sows. That'a start. My second job in 1960 was in a piggery,and they had about forty sows with big paddocks to move around in.Keep the pressure up,and good luck.
We do have vegetarian stir fry's now,and will consider going all the way if the animals don't get treated better than they are
Posted By: venice Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 10th May 2014 2:02pm
Ugh I remember that Grannie , same thing happened all over Asia to millions of chickens, ducks , turkeys etc . Others were thrown alive into incinerators . Mans inhumanity knows no bounds.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 10th May 2014 8:48pm
If I was the CEO of Wallmart and saw that video, that farm would be off my supply list right away, thats all it takes. Its not Wallmarts farm, its a supplier.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 10th May 2014 8:53pm
And the supplier then sues Walmart for breaking their contract.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 10th May 2014 9:21pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
And the supplier then sues Walmart for breaking their contract.

It will be written into the contract that if the supplier does anything to bring the buyer ( Walmart ) into disrepute, they can and will terminate the supply contract. That video will damage walmart.

Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 10th May 2014 9:40pm
Looking on the net it seems this news first came out last July.
February 2012
http://www.mfablog.org/2012/02/walmart-pork-supplier-caught-abusing-pigs.html
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 10th May 2014 9:47pm
The more I look the later date I find

The videos, shot in late 2011..
http://www.humanesociety.org/news/press_releases/2012/01/pig_gestation_investigation_013112.html
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 10th May 2014 9:55pm
Yes, we know it's not knew. Other companies who had Christensen Farms as their suppliers actually ditched them and found other suppliers. The video was made and held whilst the companies were contacted and challenged and they were assured that it would not be shown should they re-think or make changes. Walmart refused to and to date, nothing has changed, so far as I can see. Only certain farms and animals being burnt alive!

Up to date reviews on the company.. from employees or ex employees

http://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Christensen-Farms-Reviews-E274032.htm

Yours above is not related to Christensen Farms, which is what the petition is concerned with
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 11th May 2014 6:45am
Goodmorning...

Sorry, but I have to put this up, although it's another side of the situation, it would be wrong if I didn't.

A typical slaughterhouse kills about 1,000 hogs per hour.(24) The sheer number of animals killed makes it impossible for pigs’ deaths to be humane and painless. Because of improper stunning, many hogs are alive when they reach the scalding-hot water baths, which are intended to soften their skin and remove their hair.(25) The U.S. Department of Agriculture documented 14 humane-slaughter violations at one processing plant, where inspectors found hogs who “were walking and squealing after being stunned [with a stun gun] as many as four times.”(26) An industry report explains that “continuous pig squealing is a sign of … rough handling and excessive use of electric prods.” The report found that the pigs at one federally inspected slaughter plant squealed 100 percent of the time “because electric prods were used to force pigs to jump on top of each other.”(27)

Health Problems Caused by Eating Pork
Researchers for the National Cancer Institute have found that eating meat raises men’s risk of prostate cancer, while a study from Yale University reports that meat-based diets can cause stomach cancer and esophageal cancer as well as lymphoma.(28,29,30) A study of more than 90,000 women concluded that “frequent consumption of bacon, hot dogs, and sausage was … associated with an increased risk of diabetes.”(31) Scientists have also found that people who regularly eat hot dogs, sausages, or other processed or cured meats suffer from a 70 percent increase in pancreatic cancer rates.(32) However, those pork products are on the daily menu for 25 percent of kids between the ages of 19 months and 2 years.(33) According to another study, the children of pregnant women who consume cured meats on a daily basis run a “substantial risk of [growing a] paediatric brain tumour.”(34)

Read more: http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-...ory-farms-slaughterhouses/#ixzz31O0z3UYY

Bobypam your message box is full (10). Delete some if you want anymore messages. Thanks for your input. How things have changed since your day !

Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 15th May 2014 8:10am

Two and an half thousand signatures in a week, worldwide.

For those who haven't already:

https://www.change.org/petitions/speak-out-against-walmart-s-cruelty-to-pigs

Posted By: bobypam Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 15th May 2014 1:11pm
Hello Granny, I have signed the petition on cruelty to pigs,and will gladly make a donation to the cause if they add Pay Pal to the way you can donate through. you have a lot of caring people on this site and I can see your very well respected here,and I am a fan of yours too. I will post that petition link on my facebook page as well.
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 15th May 2014 11:59pm
Hi Bobbypam, thanks for signing and sharing on your facebook page. There is another petition relating to a similar problem in Australia. I was going to send it to you, but can't find it now. Will keep looking.
Being 'respected' is probably a bit of an over statement, more like a pain in the proverbial, but like all grannies, I battle on relentlessly, much to the annoyance of many ! smile
Have a nice weekend. Must be Saturday morning there now. I hope it's not bacon butties for breakfast Bobbypam no
Posted By: bobypam Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 16th May 2014 4:23am
No Granny,We don't eat much pork now,once at Christmas maybe,and my wife says no more now after me telling whats going on still with pigs on the slaughter floor. We have chicken three times a week with stir fry,or curries with vegetables. I know chickens don't have much fun either and it won't take much to go all veg.
If you can find me an email,not no return,I will suggest to that group Change to add Pay Pal and I will donate.
That group you mention for Australia may be the one run by Jan White? They do a great job here,and brought upon Coles supermarkets with the help of the public taking only stall[cage] free pork. Of course that still leaves cruelty on the kill floor. Also Jan White group had the Australian live beef exports stopped for a while after exposing the horrible way they were treated while being killed. If you can find the video of that time,have a look.
Posted By: bobypam Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 16th May 2014 8:59am
Sorry Granny,correction. I should have said Lyn White,not Jan.
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 16th May 2014 9:43am
Yes, she is the one. She has done great things worldwide.
http://www.animalsaustralia.org/about/lyn-white.php

Can't find an email for Change.org, but I shouldn't worry about that too much Bobbypam.

Also apologise for getting the days mixed up. Was thinking it was Saturday but no, your weekend starts about now ! Age is a beautiful thing, we can plead ignorance to everything..
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 5th Sep 2014 7:18pm
Not Walmart, but maybe a step closer.

Update on the MFA blog regarding Nestle.

Breaking News: Nestlé Makes Sweeping Animal Welfare Policy Change Following MFA Investigation

By Matt Rice

http://www.mfablog.org/2014/08/breaking-news-nestle-makes-sweeping-animal-welfare-policy-change.html
Posted By: granny Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th Feb 2015 12:50pm
Here's another to tackle, and so it should be. Change.org are good petitions and this needs many more signatures at the moment. Please help; If the brutal practice can be banned in Denmark, it can be banned here too.

Banning Halal slaughter in UK.

https://www.change.org/p/the-rt-hon...dium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Posted By: snowhite Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th Feb 2015 4:26pm
Signed.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Walmart Policy on Piggies - 9th Feb 2015 5:30pm
signed
© Wirral-Wikiwirral