Forums
Posted By: granny Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 18th Oct 2013 11:05pm
With one of the political parties suggesting that it will reduce the age to vote, from 18yrs down to 16yrs, do you think this would this present more problems than benefits.
If 16yr olds would then be classed as adults, would the age limit for drinking, driving, entry to night clubs etc. also be reduced ?

Good or bad, right or wrong ?
Posted By: Salmon Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 18th Oct 2013 11:35pm
Most, if not all the 16 year olds that I know could not care less about the government or who is in charge so leave it at 18 says I.
Of course it would lead to demands for reduction of other age limits including entry to armed forces.Makes no sense at all. at 16 all I wanted was a football to kick and (the mind boggles).
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 19th Oct 2013 5:20am
Giving the vote to 16 year old's won't class them as adults, it will make their opinions count. It doesn't mean age limits for other things will change, it will mean some passionate opinions will be counted. I think it would bring about an interesting election if this was the truth.

Saying 16 year old's don't care it rubbish. My daughter is 15 and many of her classmates are 16 and they all have quite strong political opinions. Getting young people to start voting early before they become cynical adults would hopefully bring about more voting. Too many people just don't bother to vote.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 19th Oct 2013 7:36am
BAD

We have enough brainwashed idiots in this country voting for pillocks thanks.

Weres guy falkes when we need him?
Posted By: casper Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 19th Oct 2013 8:54am
The government tell us that kids are still classed as teenagers until their mid twenties, perhaps I am being cynical but if you bribe kids with sweeties(jam tomorrow)then you might get a favourable response smile
Posted By: davew3 Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 19th Oct 2013 11:17am
Reckon it's all down to the population figuring that the EU and the LibLabCons are corrupt selfish lieing shbags and know the population won't vote for them, so why not brainwash the kids while they are at school and let them vote for these vile people.
Posted By: casper Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 19th Oct 2013 11:23am
Wow Frank the Tories are getting generous promising tele's and mobile phones, must be desperate to hang on to the iron throne.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 19th Oct 2013 3:51pm
Seem to remember Labour giving away laptops, that couldn't be the same sort of thing the Conservatives you suggest are now doing.

www.labour.org.uk/free-computers-broadband-access
Posted By: PAT_man Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 19th Oct 2013 10:56pm
1, They would have to be given a postal vote or it would turn the polling day into and extended school run with the mums and dads having to take them haha

or

2, What will the more senior members of the borough think with a load of 16/17 year olds hanging around the polling stations at night.

or

3, Dad "Can I vote using my 'X' box"
Posted By: Alonso Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 20th Oct 2013 12:48pm
Originally Posted by 19FRANK40
What do kids of 16 know about the economy, about the inner workings of the different governments about the merits or otherwise of beliefs, policies and tenets of each political party?

They will probably either not bother to vote or be brainwashed by being offered large sums on a weekly basis for doing nothing, being provided with free houses rents and council tax paid for, prescriptions and dental care all taken care of. Alllowances to buy contract mobile phones and the ability to purchase large flat screen TV sets and to buy and feed the mandatory dog.

Who would you as a 16 year old vote for? Would you consider at that age what is best for the country or would you like lots of people now, vote for who will provide you with the best financial package?

I rest my case m'lud.
Spot on Frank. Common sense view there.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 20th Oct 2013 3:54pm
RAISING the general voting age to 25 may be a better idea - with a few exceptions eg for those who are in/ have served in the armed services. Probably a few other categories but I can't think of them at the moment

OK, I always was a controversial old git

S.
Posted By: granny Re: Reducing the voting age to 16yrs - 21st Oct 2013 12:11am
There seem to be a number of countries within the EU that have gone for this idea. Must be a form of blackmail for votes.Scotland are trying to follow suit too, it would seem. Twenty one was when we hit adulthood, reduced to 18 so we could do all things at 18, so surely if this policy went ahead, then 16 yrs would be the new adult. It all seems a bit crazy when they are about to raise the school leaving age to rising 18yr olds.
On reflection, that would mean that parents will have lost any control they may have, in respect of marriage(as they still do have under the age of 18yrs)the same as with joining the forces.
How can a 16yr old vote on even the simplest policies? They don't even know the highway code, or what percentage a fuel bill amounts to, with regard to their parents wages. Will the parents eventually loose out on child credits (or family allowance ,as we knew it)? Will they have to pay adult bus fares to school? Should they be able to gamble, go into betting shops or brothels? In priciple, if they have a vote that covers making a decision on all eventualities and policies of life which affects everyone in this country,including e.g.the armed forces, pensions,fiscal policies, then they must be classed as adults.
Completely bonkers idea.... but it could save a handsome amount in child tax credits.Of course the kids wouldn't mind that idea, as it would probably be returned back in a smaller amount, paid to the 'student' living at home.. which means mum will be well out of pocket!

Sympathies..
© Wirral-Wikiwirral