Forums
Posted By: mikethetrainman Technology VS saving the planet - 13th Oct 2013 11:23am
Hi, I was watching CLICK the techology program on BBC news this morning and i thinking what a great program for gadgets to make our human lives easier. Now with spending billions on these gadgets items WHY dont we spend all these billions on SAVING this PLANET from DYING or we humans wont have a place to play these gadgets ON!. cry thumbsdown
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Technology VS saving the planet - 13th Oct 2013 1:50pm
My feeling is that THE PLANET will survive ok, but the human race (and maybe most other lifeforms) may not.

In what form the planet survives is highly debatable. A lot depends on whether you subscribe to the options (?) of::

(a) We will screw it all up and make the place uninhabitable for humans. That could also include some global epidemic as well as climate issues.

(b) There will be some sort of mega disaster eg the asteroid
impact type (as has happened many times before and which statistically is overdue)

(c) The good old Earth will decide to "do it's own thing" with or without intervention from the human race eg VERY little is needed to initiate a new Ice Age which could be of the minor (last one) type to which some of the human race could adapt, or the mega type - which would be equivalent to a global re-boot. Earth has done this several times in the past and ALL of the history of the human race has happened in one of the placid bits that occur between ice ages.

WE are but mere specs in the timeline. At my age I am certainly not going to worry

Snod

© Wirral-Wikiwirral