Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 12:47pm
Is anyone else as fed up as I am ? I mean everytime I go to a supermarket there at the checkout is some charity or other putting you in a compromising position as they want to bag up your shopping and expect payment.I think this is ‘sharp’ practice and should be stopped.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 12:50pm
i get what you're saying, i pay to the RSPCA out of my wages every month, it was a conscious desicion i made to actively do it as it's a cause i beileve in, but the charities that do it at supermarkets do sometimes put you in a compromising position especially when you wouldn't normally give money to them.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 1:21pm
I agree it is annoying, giving to a charity should be out of choice, not an ambush.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 2:04pm
I just say "No thanks" and that does me. The worst ones at the moment are these ambulance chasers, "Have you ever had a noisy job, sir?", "Have you had an accident, sir?". They rob most of the award anyway if they get one for you. Should be banned.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 2:44pm
I always put a pound in these collections. If the collectors are good enough to give their spare time to do this then I personally don't object.
As for ambulance chasers, many years ago, while walking down Grange Road, one of these idiots wearing a hi-vis jacket actually put his arm out to stop me. He asked me if I had any recent accidents. My reply was 'no, but you're just about to have one if you do't move your f*****g arm'. Conversation over !

Bob.
Posted By: joeblogs Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 3:35pm
i take the hole £300 quid trolly through the self service.i normally ring ahead to check if these people are there drive me mad
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 5:00pm
nice to see such a charitable bunch of people wink
Posted By: dave_h Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 5:12pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I just say "No thanks" and that does me. The worst ones at the moment are these ambulance chasers, "Have you ever had a noisy job, sir?", "Have you had an accident, sir?". They rob most of the award anyway if they get one for you. Should be banned.

i was making my way through b/head once on crutches, when i was home, i had a parasite run up to me asking about the accident, told him it happened during training, his eyes lit up he asked me the name of the gym, i said ur mistaken i meant training with the royal marines, he soon fu cked off, git!
Posted By: dave_h Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 5:14pm
we certanly are, i smashed out a thousand pressups couple of months ago for charity, been a bit quiet recently, i had people from wiki sponosring me ;-)
Posted By: insanekitty Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 5:25pm
Well sorry peeps but I'm on the other side!

We do bag packs for the Air Cadets and the kids have a great time doing it and the money that is raised is for them and them alone!
I enjoy being there helping out and give up my time for free. There are people who dont want assistance and we just smile at them and say thankyou anyway.
You don't have to put money in the tin, that is entirely optional, but the Cadets spend their spare time raising money and also helping out other charities on other occasions like the poppy appeal or race for life in Birkenhead Park.

I know not everyone enjoys this and that is why we always leave one till out and don't collect there.

The money raised at xmas has enabled the Cadets to have a day out at Alton Towers for the princely sum of £15! It's normally £40 to get in, so it is them that are benefiting and not some foreign charity where you dont know where the money goes.

So just remember peeps, we do this for our kids and we do it voluntarily and you don't have to give.
Posted By: arwen444 Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 5:27pm
sometimes they are just children from local groups and is there only way of raising money for new kits etc. the adults give there time free to keep our children occupied. agree that some of the big charities get enough chance to raise money. the most recent one that horrified me was the anthony nolan trust. they came door to door wanting to sign people up for donations through their bank. i declined despite the fact it is a very worthy cause. the girl asked what was putting me off. handing over my bank details to a stranger at the door to start with grrrr
Posted By: Schuu Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 5:40pm
Ive resorted to saying my husband has the money and as he walks ahead of me, I tend to get away with it.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 6:50pm
I don't mind when the local brownies/guides/scouts etc are in helping pack my bags.

Actually it makes me proud that we have some youngsters who are willing to give up their time to raise money for things they want to do rather than just expecting mum and dad etc to cough up.

The ambulance chasers in town etc are a completely different breed, I also feel sorry for those asking me as how low must life have sunk to need to accept such a job? It is the bosses in the office who should be ashamed and they know so and thats why they hide away.
Posted By: mrfellows Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 8:49pm
i dnt agree with you on this subject as

1. your not in any position if you dnt want to give then dnt and carry on with your day
2. your gettin help with your shopping being bagged and
3. there just trying to raise money for charity or fundraising for something.

not like they jump on you put a gun to your head and say give me money.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 9:12pm
Originally Posted by mrfellows
i dnt agree with you on this subject as

1. your not in any position if you dnt want to give then dnt and carry on with your day

i'm sorry can i have that translated into English please?
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 9:23pm
Originally Posted by j_demo
[quote=mrfellows]i dnt agree with you on this subject as

i'm sorry can i have that translated into English please

Canadian too , please
Posted By: chriskay Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 9:34pm
It's quite surprising how many posters on here are using the new style keyboard; you know, the one without a shift key.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 11:08pm
There is reminding someone of forum etiquette, and then there is just being antagonistic.
Posted By: turnip Re: Supermarket Beggars - 15th Mar 2013 11:53pm
Originally Posted by softshoes
Originally Posted by j_demo
[quote=mrfellows]i dnt agree with you on this subject as

i'm sorry can i have that translated into English please

Canadian too , please

Ay?
Posted By: Cassidy Re: Supermarket Beggars - 16th Mar 2013 8:11am
Totally agree with JDemo here.
Children in today's society can't win, people complain that they spend all their time on their consoles or hanging the streets, but when they actually get up and do charity work for something they support and possible believe in they can't win either. These charities are raising money for a good cause and they are doing something for it too. They are giving up their Saturdays to offer to pack people's shopping, they are not just expecting money to be given to them for nothing.
If you don't want it, then kindly decline.
If you do want it, politely say yes, let them pack your shopping and give them a little change at the end.
Good on them for raising money for charity or keeping their local brownies group open
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Supermarket Beggars - 16th Mar 2013 8:20am
Mingebag
Posted By: davew3 Re: Supermarket Beggars - 16th Mar 2013 9:26am
I usually give to local charities, but won't give to any charities that advertise on tv or or hang about wrapped in fancy packaging, to me if they can afford to advertise etc they have far too much money and have turned what was supposed to be a good cause into a business, I quite happily walk past the volunteers who are doing it and say if approached say no thank you, if they try and embarrass me, which I've had a few times, I will quite happily join in and explain why I won't give them any of MY money, besides we are forced to give £12 billion of our taxes to foreign charities, charity begins at home.
Posted By: rover644 Re: Supermarket Beggars - 16th Mar 2013 1:39pm
Last time i was ambushed it was people collecting for the food bank. Being a caring soul i decided to get a load of tinned soup for them. Unfortunaltely i am also a forgetful soul and forgot to hand it over on my way out.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Supermarket Beggars - 16th Mar 2013 2:07pm
Originally Posted by rover644
Last time i was ambushed it was people collecting for the food bank. Being a caring soul i decided to get a load of tinned soup for them. Unfortunaltely i am also a forgetful soul and forgot to hand it over on my way out.

heheheheh! giggles!
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Supermarket Beggars - 16th Mar 2013 2:40pm
Originally Posted by rover644

Ahaha.....that's something I'd do !! raftl
Posted By: betamax Re: Supermarket Beggars - 16th Mar 2013 2:45pm
i agree it is very anoying mainly because every time you go into most towns you have to run a gauntlet of collectors and people who want to have your money for whatever cause, if i want to give to anything i will but its everywhere now and a lot of it relies on you feeling guilty or social pressure, i have bad anxiety and the collectors on the end of a till on top of everything else can be the cause of an attack or feeling very uncomfortable, dont get me wrong im not uncharitable but i dont want to be pressured.
Posted By: Wench Re: Supermarket Beggars - 16th Mar 2013 2:53pm
I give to a few charities, but they are ones close to my heart. If I don't pay by card, then I generally will give to local Cadets etc if they are collecting/packing. I don't give to the likes of Red Nose Day etc as enough is given to other countries so I would rather give to "home" charities. I know some goes to the likes of Stick n Step, but I'd much rather give direct to them as opposed to via a third party. Plus, the RND people have just had a massive "party" in the Albert Hall - waste of money that could have been given to those that need it IMO.

As for us not being a charitable lot, I disagree. Personally, the hardest thing I did was an 11 mile walk, 2weeks after surgery, on crutches, in 30mph winds & driving rain for Armed Forces Charities. It took me the best part of 7hrs but they don't give up so why should I have? I intend to do more in the next 6mths or so.

Posted By: alann Re: Supermarket Beggars - 16th Mar 2013 3:05pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
I agree it is annoying, giving to a charity should be out of choice, not an ambush.

you are not forced to give anything, i dont recall seeing anybody " ambushed " be quite funny really, a bunch of bag packers jumping out on unsuspecting shoppers....
Posted By: MikeT Re: Supermarket Beggars - 17th Mar 2013 4:22am
Originally Posted by insanekitty
I know not everyone enjoys this and that is why we always leave one till out and don't collect there.

So everyone who wants to avoid you has to join a massive queue for the one till? Nice.

You people are a pain in the arse. Find some other way of raising money that doesn't annoy people and make them feel guilty for refusing a donation.
Posted By: littlebird Re: Supermarket Beggars - 17th Mar 2013 2:41pm
What a load of moaners...like someone said earlier, you dont have to give. Just a polite no thank you will do. I only give to the ones who i choose to. If i dont think it a worthy cause, then i dont.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Supermarket Beggars - 17th Mar 2013 3:28pm
Hi I am looking for sponsors to start a clinic for ants with broken legs ----any takers?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Supermarket Beggars - 17th Mar 2013 3:32pm
You might be best farming that one out...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral