Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth Would you emigrate? - 7th Feb 2013 3:44am
I often see on forums or on facebook, people saying they hate the way Britain has become and they would give anything to move out, but I wonder how many people if they had the chance would actually emigrate leaving family, friends, lifestyle, and all other creature comforts behind?

Do we moan because we like to think we're hard done to, yet secretly are quite happy with our lot in life?

When I think about everything I have now and did have when I lived back in UK, there's very little that's changed really. I'm still the same person with the exact same gripes I had but just in a different country. So, I wonder why people feel the quality of their lives would be drastically altered just by moving away?
Posted By: dingle Re: Would you emigrate? - 7th Feb 2013 6:45am
Hi Elizabeth
I think it depends on age and era. I emigrated when I was 20 because I could not see any future for me in Birkenhead. Late sixties and I was a flagger on the council, didn't seem to be much future in that and it just seemed that my life was revolving around work, the pub and football. I don't believe I would be as well off as I am now If I had stayed.
Posted By: feisort Re: Would you emigrate? - 7th Feb 2013 7:47am
I left the wirral for dubai a few years ago and I'm glad I did, I do enjoy coming back home, I'm home for ten days at the moment,

but the life I have in the UAE compared to what I would here is astonishing, I'm earning a good 10k PA more than I would be here, and the weather is better too!
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Would you emigrate? - 7th Feb 2013 9:00am
Had an offer to live in Brisbane and the pressure from the wifes family caused her to bottle it when the plane tickets came through. Almost destroyed our marriage.

There is a lot of negativity in the UK at the moment, mostly from Facebook and the media. If you switch off from it, theres no reason why you cant have a happy life here.

Who knows if ill ever get another chance but im happy to be alive and have my family around me.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Would you emigrate? - 7th Feb 2013 9:44am
I think life changed in this country as soon as they lied and pushed us into the EU, I think the Commonwealth was the way to go, now we have destruction of the people of the country and higher taxes or in Labour parlance "investments", I suppose the grass is always greener when your looking from this way towards people living in another country, good luck to what ever decision you make with your lives, you still have contact on the internet to make it easier to "phone home".
Posted By: Madge Re: Would you emigrate? - 7th Feb 2013 9:49am
I would be gone like a shot, if i was able, i still have a good life here, im happy but would prefer to live in Brisbane,
Posted By: rocks Re: Would you emigrate? - 7th Feb 2013 9:51am
it would break my heart if my only son decided to emigrate with my grandson and also my granddaughter thats due this summer, they are the reasons i couldnt do it but id never try and stop him for finding a better life away from birkenhead
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Would you emigrate? - 7th Feb 2013 10:38am
I love Australia but I am glad I did not emigrate.The happy times I spent with my parents, grandparents and batchelor uncles can never be replaced.
Children you bring them up to have the confidence to explore and make their own decisions, so if mine wished to emigrate I would wish them well.
You made a good choice in your twenties as did my school friend who lives in Sydney.

Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Would you emigrate? - 8th Feb 2013 12:43am
Originally Posted by DeanoBirko

There is a lot of negativity in the UK at the moment, mostly from Facebook and the media. If you switch off from it, theres no reason why you cant have a happy life here.

That's exactly how I feel too, Deano. There's a lot of negativity here in USA too regarding such things as illegal immigrants, welfare fraud, healthcare, kids with no respect, no jobs etc which seems to be the same topics I read people complaining about in UK.
When we moved here back in 1996 it was due to husband's job and it was awful to have to leave what was an already happy life. I didn't know anyone here, had no idea where to get my hair done, which doctor or dentist were good and also getting used to the millions of tv channels was a nightmare.

Our children were only 7 & 5 when we came and therefore both sets of grandparents had to deal with losing the closeness they had developed with them frown Sadly, both my parents and in-laws have died since we moved here and I regret that neither of my kids really knew them (although we did phone as much as poss and would visit them once a year) it's still no substitute for being nearby.

I don't believe I am any better off money wise now than if I'd stayed on the Wirral, my house likely would be comparable to what I have in USA (minus the massive, much too big back garden which gets very old, very fast)

So, what I suppose I'm saying is what I originally posted, that if you're not happy with the country you live in now and pick fault with it's problems, you will find yourself doing the exact same thing in a different country once you realise that the streets are not all paved with gold and the grass is actually very much the same green colour everywhere you go smile

PS. it's our intention to move back to the Wirral in the future as no matter how bad some folk think it is, it's always been home to us and there's no other place like it as far as we're concerned smile
Posted By: Jimz76 Re: Would you emigrate? - 9th Feb 2013 8:52pm
My old man use to say, "the grass may be greener, but you still have to mow it".

I know now that no matter where I go, I'll still be unhappy with something somewhere and moan away. May as well do it where my family are. They have to listen.
Posted By: ponytail Re: Would you emigrate? - 9th Feb 2013 10:13pm
I think if you are stuck in a rut then take the opportunity to go and live in another country, perhaps on a work permit initially. I went to Spain years ago to work but came back to the UK as it was not all sunshine and sangria it was made out to be. It was pretty hostile, and I did not speak Spanish. A world of opportunities is out there but, as long as you are safe, there is no reason not to go and explore. I don't regret Spain, perhaps would have regretted not taking the opportunity to go and work there if I had not done so.
Posted By: granny Re: Would you emigrate? - 9th Feb 2013 11:30pm
My husband and I had the chance to emigrate to New Zealand in the 1970's. We did a trip there and visited north and south islands. Apart from the fact that it was an outdoor life with barbeques every weekend,(I don't think we had barbeques here then) everybody knew someone with a boat and the climate was lovely,nothing really grabbed me enough to want to leave the uk. Family also played a part.
Now, if my family got the opportunity I would encourage them as much as possible. Otherwise, they will hang around and watch me whither away and that seems a life wasted, when it could be more successful and fruitful,than anything that's on offer here in UK.
Canada would possibly be a nice place to go to.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Would you emigrate? - 10th Feb 2013 12:07pm
I came to Canada when I was 20. After leaving school at 15 anf having various no where jobs for 5 years, it seemed like a good option. I have never regretted it. I sometimes feel guilt about leaving as if I bailed out or something like that. I was always proud of my heretige and would promote it when ever I could.

Canada has been very good to me and to most people who come here. Yes, we have problems but they seem minute compared to what I read about whats happening in the UK. I believe you have to be young to emigrate. Your more adaptable and open to new experiences. I could not do it now. I do miss the English way of life but it frightens me when I see whats going on.

So to the younger generation. GO FOR IT if you have the chance. Yes, you'll miss home but you'll be making a new better home.

Peter
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Would you emigrate? - 10th Feb 2013 4:58pm
I love UK, and I’m happy to live and work in Birkenhead.

I holiday in Scotland one week per year and most weekends can be found in North Wales. I also do walks around Delamere forest or Beaston and do Chester Wall walk at least once a year (it changes every year).

There are also so many great places on the Wirral (want a good walk, try Roydon Park, after your walk you can pop into the 'Friends' cafe and have a coffee with a teacake or scone for £1.00) then there's the Wirral way, Storeton Woods, Eastham Woods and so much more.

If the politicians do something you don't like, then go to your local MPs surgery and tackle them about it make then do their Job and represent YOU.

If you want to change something for the better then VOLUNTEER for something (our present mob of sanctimonious Hypocritical B______s are cutting funding left right and centre so God knows there are enough charities and groups out there crying for help and PM me if you want to help older people).

Well done those who have found happiness abroad but for the rest of us let’s look at our cup as being half full NOT half empty.

Oops I’m ranting again! but I wouldn't live anywhere else (and yes I have been abroad and seen other places).
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 1:03am
Originally Posted by softshoes
Yes, we have problems but they seem minute compared to what I read about whats happening in the UK. I believe you have to be young to emigrate. I do miss the English way of life but it frightens me when I see whats going on.

Peter

I agree with you to a point Peter, but whenever I'm over in UK I realise how much I really love it there and that it is ultimately my home.

Another thing you mentioned about being young when you emigrate makes it easier to adapt. Both our children were very little when we came to USA (7 & 5) they went through the US education system, yet both ended up coming back to England to go to uni in Liverpool and now think of UK as their home (daughter said she would never return to live in USA now as she loves the Wirral too much!)
I suppose it very much depends on the person, whether they can embrace the new lifestyle they find themselves in or if they find themselves always thinking of life back home.

I love reading all the answers that are being posted though, it seems that the majority of the answers suggest most Wirral folk are quite content living there smile
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 1:12am
A major factor too that will play a part in us eventually returning to England is the massive health care costs we have here. Between my husband and myself we pay about £500 per month on health insurance, this doesn't include prescription charges and as my husband is diabetic, his supplies of insulin and needles cost us an additional £150 per month. Plus each time we go to the doctor we have to pay £20 just for the appointment!
Another example to ponder, I had my gallbladder out a few years back and had to pay an excess of £600 to the hospital ( the whole bill was about £40,000!) It's out of control and I'm led to believe Obamacare will make it even worse frown
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 3:21pm
if i were younger with no ties, i'd be off like a shot,
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 3:49pm
I've seen and heard of a number of couples who emigrated here and who where so home sick they went home to the UK. Funny thing is most of these people came back here within 6 months.

It's true, don't get sick in America. Cost wise it will break you. Most of it is covered here.

I read and see so many negative things about the UK It's hard to know what to believe. I think about it a lot. perhaps too much.
I've been home a few times but I feel like a tourist. I hate that. A feeling of not belonging.

ps I think I'll cut back on reading The Daily Mail!!
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 4:35pm
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
A major factor too that will play a part in us eventually returning to England is the massive health care costs we have here. Between my husband and myself we pay about £500 per month on health insurance, this doesn't include prescription charges and as my husband is diabetic, his supplies of insulin and needles cost us an additional £150 per month. Plus each time we go to the doctor we have to pay £20 just for the appointment!
Another example to ponder, I had my gallbladder out a few years back and had to pay an excess of £600 to the hospital ( the whole bill was about £40,000!) It's out of control and I'm led to believe Obamacare will make it even worse frown

Bloomin' eck.....I knew health care costs were supposed to be expensive in America but didn't realise they were soooooo high !!!
Just shows we should be grateful for what we get here !! smile
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 4:38pm
just shows why we have to get rid of the tories before our nhs is the same
Originally Posted by Sneezy

Bloomin' eck.....I knew health care costs were supposed to be expensive in America but didn't realise they were soooooo high !!!
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 4:54pm
withthat
Posted By: granny Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 7:11pm
Originally Posted by softshoes
I've seen and heard of a number of couples who emigrated here and who where so home sick they went home to the UK. Funny thing is most of these people came back here within 6 months.

It's true, don't get sick in America. Cost wise it will break you. Most of it is covered here.

I read and see so many negative things about the UK It's hard to know what to believe. I think about it a lot. perhaps too much.
I've been home a few times but I feel like a tourist. I hate that. A feeling of not belonging.

ps I think I'll cut back on reading The Daily Mail!!

Had an email from a relative who lives in Winnipeg , the other day. Said they were fed up with the cold............-40 degrees shocked
So there is good and bad everywhere, Snowshoes !!!
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 8:08pm
"Snowshoes" Thats funny Granny!!

The second place I lived in Canada was Whitehorse YT. I could tell many stories about that place. However it could get very cold there too. I remember it being -50 for two weeks once. When you went to work you had to leave your car running all-day or else it wouldn't start.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 8:24pm

It's one of the things that makes this country great, and one of the biggest abuses from other countries.

We all know that the NHS is a "little" top heavy, and trimming managers would help, but cutting down, or reclaiming, on health tourists would go a long way towards cutting the health deficit.

The NHS was designed to keep a nation healthy, no more, the problems arise that as its "free", everyone from everywhere wants to use it, and everyone has this mindset that anything health wise, or that you can convince someone is health related, you should get for free as well.

We're beyond the limits, it's breaking, and when it gives its the health of our nation that will suffer.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Would you emigrate? - 12th Feb 2013 9:17pm
Well said The Dr..... clap
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Would you emigrate? - 13th Feb 2013 3:48am

If you ever get the chance to watch the film/documentary "Sicko", that pretty much sums up how it can be here for those who don't have health insurance (if you can't stand Michael Moore though, best to give it a wide berth! )
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Would you emigrate? - 13th Feb 2013 3:57am
Originally Posted by eggandchips
if i were younger with no ties, i'd be off like a shot,

What would be your country of choice ?
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Would you emigrate? - 13th Feb 2013 12:36pm
The NHS isn't free and never has been. It works because we all pay in whether we need it or not.

The abuse comes from those who are healthcare tourists and we have no system in place to extract the cash.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Would you emigrate? - 13th Feb 2013 1:09pm
NO.

Although I wouldn't mind going to Islam and having a crack at stoning someone smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral