Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 4:11pm
slurp! drag!
Posted By: dave_g Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 4:30pm
them was the days!
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 4:49pm
Made up that this was taken out of pubs. I no longer come home smelling of smoke and wake up with a bad chest. It should be banned all together IMO
Posted By: Salmon Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 5:03pm
Spot on there Chorizo, for non smokers it was horrible but smokers don't even notice the smell on their clothes and everything else.
Posted By: fillbo Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 5:08pm
How I hated those days,being forced to go to the pub and endure such torture------------- :-)
Posted By: Wench Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 5:14pm
Originally Posted by Chorizo
It should be banned all together IMO

But then you'll be moaning because tax has been increased on everything to make up the shortfall from the loss of tobacco tax wink
Posted By: devilwoman Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 5:22pm
i am an ex smoker and i believe if you want to do it fine but i do have a problem with people standing right outside a shop and lighting up.why cant you wait until you are further away from the door.as you are forcing people smokers or not to breath in your smoke.and no i am not one of those ex smokers that think it should be banned.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 5:26pm
In 2011 among adults aged 35 and over, around 79,100 deaths (18 per cent of all deaths of adults aged 35 and over) were estimated to be caused by smoking.
Over 5 billion spent by NHS on treating directly related smoking diseases.
How much more evidence do folk need to stop them smoking?

http://www.ic.nhs.uk/statistics-and...king/statistics-on-smoking--england-2012
Posted By: Zubee Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 5:34pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
In 2011 among adults aged 35 and over, around 79,100 deaths (18 per cent of all deaths of adults aged 35 and over) were estimated to be caused by smoking.
Over 5 billion spent by NHS on treating directly related smoking diseases.

http://www.ic.nhs.uk/statistics-and...king/statistics-on-smoking--england-2012

Do you have the same stats for alcohol related deaths?
Posted By: devilwoman Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 5:36pm
are you worried Zubee haha
Posted By: Zubee Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 5:40pm
lol! Not at all, just mean that cigarettes aren't the only legal thing that's killing people.
Posted By: rocks Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 5:45pm
Originally Posted by Zubee
lol! Not at all, just mean that cigarettes aren't the only legal thing that's killing people.

withthat
Posted By: Salmon Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 6:09pm
Same link gives info on alcohol related but is that not off topic?
Posted By: Zubee Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 6:38pm
Not off topic, picture shows alcohol and cigarettes. If smokers didn't generate so much income for the government or it was outweighed by the costs to the NHS then they'd make it illegal.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 6:45pm
them where the days a smoke and a drink in comfort, not standing out in the cold, having a quick puff.
Posted By: Wench Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 7:06pm
Some 8.2 million Britons (26%) drink more than the recommended amount of alcohol and one in 20 are dependent on drink, according to social care group Turning Point.

The charity said 150,000 people are admitted to hospital each year because of drinking alcohol.

And 22,000 people die as a direct result of alcohol, mainly from liver disease but also because of accidents, fights and other drink-fuelled incidents.

The cost of treating people with alcohol-related health problems stands at £1.7 billion a year, according to the Department of Health.

Cabinet Office figures show alcohol-related harm, which includes the cost of policing and the processing offenders though the criminal justice system, costs the UK £20 billion a year.

In addition, alcohol is a factor in nearly half (45%) of all domestic violence**, a Turning Point spokesman said.

A Department of Health spokeswoman said they were working on a joint campaign with the Home Office to promote responsible drinking amongst young people.

She said: "We are also working closely with the alcoholic drinks industry on preventing alcohol misuse. The industry has already introduced practical guidance on how to promote sensible drinking, and is working to clamp down on irresponsible promotions and underage sales.

"We are already investing heavily in services for people with alcohol problems. An additional £15 million will be provided to PCTs for treatment services from 2008, alongside an extra £3.2 million for new initiatives to help those who are damaging their health through alcohol abuse."

** And that's only the incidents that are reported!

I don't sit and have 10 fags at home, then get in a car & kill someone or go out looking for a fight or batter my other half because I am under the influence of nicotine.

Now tell me which is the worst out of the two wink £5bn for tobacco versus £21bn for alcohol (not including the £18.2m mentioned above for the "initiatives" (which clearly aren't working).
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 7:09pm
i say the same wench, alcohol causes more problems you are right wench
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 8:34pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Some 8.2 million Britons (26%) drink more than the recommended amount of alcohol and one in 20 are dependent on drink, according to social care group Turning Point.

The charity said 150,000 people are admitted to hospital each year because of drinking alcohol.

And 22,000 people die as a direct result of alcohol, mainly from liver disease but also because of accidents, fights and other drink-fuelled incidents.

The cost of treating people with alcohol-related health problems stands at £1.7 billion a year, according to the Department of Health.

Cabinet Office figures show alcohol-related harm, which includes the cost of policing and the processing offenders though the criminal justice system, costs the UK £20 billion a year.

In addition, alcohol is a factor in nearly half (45%) of all domestic violence**, a Turning Point spokesman said.

A Department of Health spokeswoman said they were working on a joint campaign with the Home Office to promote responsible drinking amongst young people.

She said: "We are also working closely with the alcoholic drinks industry on preventing alcohol misuse. The industry has already introduced practical guidance on how to promote sensible drinking, and is working to clamp down on irresponsible promotions and underage sales.

"We are already investing heavily in services for people with alcohol problems. An additional £15 million will be provided to PCTs for treatment services from 2008, alongside an extra £3.2 million for new initiatives to help those who are damaging their health through alcohol abuse."

** And that's only the incidents that are reported!

I don't sit and have 10 fags at home, then get in a car & kill someone or go out looking for a fight or batter my other half because I am under the influence of nicotine.

Now tell me which is the worst out of the two wink £5bn for tobacco versus £21bn for alcohol (not including the £18.2m mentioned above for the "initiatives" (which clearly aren't working).

withthat
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 10:39pm
I agree 100% Wench.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 10:44pm
Nobody is arguing with the problems caused by alcohol?
Posted By: Wench Re: Happy days [gone] - 27th Aug 2012 11:33pm
Nobody is arguing with the problems caused by alcohol?

I don't think anyone said they were, but you said

and brought in the money & death stats. People probably need the same amount of evidence to stop drinking to excess and being idiots!

Or did you mean that you were waiting for someone to argue with the problems caused by alcohol? Damn "?" always get me whistle
Posted By: Salmon Re: Happy days [gone] - 28th Aug 2012 6:23am
That info is all in the same link that I included earlier
© Wirral-Wikiwirral