Forums
Posted By: Kieran1981 Buying cheap houses. - 2nd Apr 2012 10:17pm
Hi, I am 30, and having always rented, I am starting to think about buying my own place. I have seen some decent houses going for 45k in Rock Ferry. Where are the no go areas? I was looking at flats for 25k on New Ferry Road, but apparently mortgage lenders don't like flats, and there's the hidden extras like service charges, so maybe a house is the best option, and assuming I won't be single forever, it might be a wise choice. I only earn 22k a year so only really want somewhere cheap and cheerful. Don't want to be spending every penny I have on bills and mortgage and having no life, so 50k is my maximum budget, which means I have to look at more run down areas I guess. I don't mind to be honest, as long as they aren't crime hot spots full of drug dealers and prostitutes.
Posted By: Lightning Re: Buying cheap houses. - 2nd Apr 2012 10:22pm
lol i beg your pardon, rock ferry west is nice.i bought a nice house in that area no trouble at all.
its had a bad name but is being a sought after place to stay since last year.
you will get piss heads and drugs dealers anywhere,

Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: Buying cheap houses. - 2nd Apr 2012 10:48pm
I was only asking where the no go areas where lol. I can only say what other people have told me as I don't know Rock Ferry well. I have only lived in Wirral for 2 years
Posted By: Lightning Re: Buying cheap houses. - 2nd Apr 2012 11:01pm
I believe you i was the same, some tell you different areas what are nice or not.
and rock ferry was one east side is crap but west is now posh lol.
the bottom line is that ,if you looking you should look about and see what property you want and area ?
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Buying cheap houses. - 2nd Apr 2012 11:10pm
Originally Posted by Lightning
I believe you i was the same, some tell you different areas what are nice or not.
and rock ferry was one east side is crap but west is now posh lol.
the bottom line is that ,if you looking you should look about and see what property you want and area ?

I'm curious, which part is the east and which roads are considered west?
Posted By: manic28_am Re: Buying cheap houses. - 3rd Apr 2012 6:39am
Similar to you. In 2008 I moved to New Ferry from Wallasey as it was all I could afford. I sat outside my house in day and night to have a good idea about anti-social behaviour etc before buying. Dont forget to use www.police.uk also to check stats. PM me if u wish if I can help u more. Andy
Posted By: saiyan_gmt Re: Buying cheap houses. - 3rd Apr 2012 6:56am
if you buy a cheaper property and decide the area is not for you then you can always rent it out and with such a small mortgage you can be pretty confident it would be self funding (providing you have tenants) BUT like us you may find you love the area and never want to move....
Dnt forget realistically in the current market you need around a 10% deposit and a squeeky clean credit record.....I work for a mortgage adviser so let me know if i can be of any help
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Buying cheap houses. - 3rd Apr 2012 9:46am
50k is exceptionally cheap, even for Rock Ferry. The only purchases we see that low are property developers buying repo's at auction, and the majority of those are over 50k and need serious modernisation (talking thousands if not tens of thousands).

And yeah, you'll have to pay the 10% deposit as standard. Unless you buy privately and then sometimes it goes down to 5% or nothing if you both know each other. On top of that you have your solicitors fees, mortgage broker fees, any repairs that need doing ..

Edit: Don't knock the prostitutes, might come in handy if you do end up being single forever tease
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Buying cheap houses. - 3rd Apr 2012 11:24am
Rule of thumb, you're better buying the worst house in a good road rather than the best house in bad one. Read that somewhere but it's true. Can't advise on areas myself as only recently returned to the town myself, I'm happy where I am but I know some people wouldn't be. It all depends on your requirement. Good luck anyway and I hope you get what you want.
Can't advise on the bag shanties, haven't a clue.
Posted By: Lightning Re: Buying cheap houses. - 3rd Apr 2012 11:42am
Originally Posted by Kieran1981
I was only asking where the no go areas where lol. I can only say what other people have told me as I don't know Rock Ferry well. I have only lived in Wirral for 2 years
I know, same here but a bit longer here.
Another thing i did as well was buy auction property cheap and you can do them up yourself if you got time.
i can pm you some auctioners if you want,they will send you a catalogue with propertys up for auction.
i bought one in a prime area and sold it.
And bought my one in Rock ferry,
glad i did.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral