Forums
Posted By: lau2908 gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 4:37pm
Hope this is in the right section.

Basically am curious to see how much people pay on there gas and electricity each month.

Im currently paying 120 a month on electricity and 70 on gas, 190 in total, theres only 2 of us that live in the house and its a 3 bed house. Seems really high to me?

whats everyone paying? smile
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 4:41pm
110 a month for both with Scottish power. Three in a 3 bed house
Posted By: lau2908 Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 4:44pm
Originally Posted by Wiggi77
110 a month for both with Scottish power. Three in a 3 bed house

are you home alot? or all out during the day time?
Posted By: snowshoes Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 4:48pm
Just as a country comparison, we pay ( in pounds ) 35 for electricity and 55 for gas. The house is a 4 bedroom and is
heated by natural gas. And we complain about paying too much!
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 4:50pm
Out through the day in the week and home most the weekend. It made a big difference for us when we got our loft insulated especially upstairs.
Also we got a new combi boiler about 18 months ago which saves money too
Posted By: lau2908 Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 4:51pm
Originally Posted by softshoes
Just as a country comparison, we pay ( in pounds ) 35 for electricity and 55 for gas. The house is a 4 bedroom and is
heated by natural gas. And we complain about paying too much!

christ, want to do a swap? I wish i could get it that cheap frown
Posted By: StuyMac Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:01pm
3 Bed Semi - 2 adults, 2 kids. Out during day, home evenings and weekends.

£95 / month for both.
Posted By: Snorlax Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:05pm
£119 per month. 4 bed house, 2 adults 3 kids.
Posted By: chriskay Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:10pm
2 bed semi, in most of the time, gas central heating, like to be warm. Just changed to Scottish Power, price fixed till March 2013. £70 a month for both. Due to get £80 and a case of Virgin wines from u-switch in a few months; not holding my breath. If it actually pays up, and allowing £40 for the wine, it brings the cost down to £61.
Posted By: rocks Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:11pm
2 adults in 2 bed house in all day/night £19mth elec £22mth gas and im £60 in credit with the gas, im with british gas and wouldnt change
Posted By: lau2908 Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:13pm
Originally Posted by rocks
2 adults in 2 bed house in all day/night £19mth elec £22mth gas and im £60 in credit with the gas, im with british gas and wouldnt change

how on earth is it that cheap??
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:21pm
Best thing to do is wire in to next door's meter!! lol.
Posted By: starakita Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:25pm
3 adults 3 kids 4 bed house £80 on leccy & £40 on gas per month depends on time of year though use less electric in summer
Posted By: rocks Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:28pm
Originally Posted by lau2908
Originally Posted by rocks

how on earth is it that cheap??

heating only goes on when were cold smile
i also cook with a halogen cooker which i think helps keep the elec down
Posted By: Tombraider Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:34pm
Originally Posted by FiremanFil
laugh good idea.
am 90.00 a month for electric, and 60.00 a month for gas.
all my wages go to bills.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:37pm
You should seek advice on rebates. I was in the rent offic3e in Birkenhead last month and there was a woman in there with a fiver in one ear and a pound coin in the other ear. I was told it was because she was six quid in arrears!
Posted By: Tanzi Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:38pm
Hi,i'm agoraphobic so im def in all the time, i have a 3 bed house with gas c.heating, thats only on if i am cold, an gas cooker everything else is electric. Im mainly alone unless one of my kids comes to stay to help get the shopping etc.
So in the winter its roughly £20 a month gas, £40 electric and in the summer i rarely put in gas at all .. £10 lasts months. Those are both with British Gas cos they do a key and card thing for the pc so i dont have to leave the house to top up :~)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:46pm
£40 a month gas. £50 electric. 3 adults in 3 bedroom house. Also with British Gas, wouldnt change.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 5:51pm
You should seek advice on rebates. I was in the rent offic3e in Birkenhead last month and there was a woman in there with a fiver in one ear and a pound coin in the other ear. I was told it was because she was six quid in arrears!
yes am with British gas.
use alot of electric in the winter Phil.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 6:20pm
Ha Ha fil your great lol laugh
Posted By: Salmon Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 6:21pm
We are in 3 bed detached house, just the 2 of us,my wife likes the place very warm, we got new combi boiler in 2 years ago and loft insulated 18 months ago. We are with British Gas and pay £40 elec and £65 gas per month, both were in credit at end of November. We are in quite a bit of the time but heating is on from 7AM till 11PM each day.
Posted By: shar215 Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 6:21pm
110 electric , 90 gas . five bed house . 5 people
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 6:22pm
raftl raftl raftl
Posted By: arwen444 Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 6:26pm
im with npower, pay 200 each month for both, but then have six bedrooms and four kids. still think its massive though coz its not on during the weekday. think we are all getting ripped off but what choice is there
Posted By: Touchstone Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 6:49pm
I'm with Co-op Energy. £50/month total for Gas & Electricity. 2 bed flat. 2 people both working shifts.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 6:51pm
Originally Posted by arwen444
think we are all getting ripped off but what choice is there

We're all getting ripped off to some extent. Got to pay for shareholder dividends. Thanks for selling off the Gas and Electricity industries, Maggie T!
Posted By: conan Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 7:50pm
Put Uswitch into google.

Enter your details (supplier/spend/payment method etc)
Its totally independant advice and will show the cheapest supplier for your area (we are all in area 2 mostly)

Problem is that most people are on a standard tariff when there are much cheaper ones available,often with the supplier that your currently with.

Im happy to help anyone on here who needs any help or advice..

Conan
Posted By: saltytom Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 7:56pm
Last post not a Maggie issuse or a political DO NOT think wind power is the solution your are dreaming Solar roof will end in tears They only way is NUCLEAR Yes we are getting ripped off I spent 20 years working for EXxon Oil It may be that some people need to check credit rating and payment history re card meters etc.
The good thing is my wife pays for the waste of gas / elec
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 8:47pm
The only price comparison site worth its weight is ENERGY HELPLINE

This was the only site that I could find that had the prices for all companies up to date.

I have £20 gas and £12 eleccy a month, 2 bed flat, using a lot of energy saving measures and the right utility company.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 10:09pm
I havent changed supplier in over 10 years. I currently pay £31.71 a month for Gas and Electricity. Thats in a 3 bedroom detached too. What do you people do with all that energy?(ok so there are various reasons why I don't use much).
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 10:11pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

This was the only site that I could find that had the prices for all companies up to date.

I have £20 gas and £12 eleccy a month, 2 bed flat, using a lot of energy saving measures and the right utility company.
Hi DD when you have visitors do they have to wear thermals ? lol you must never put your heating on lol laugh right i`m going to buy you a thick jumper for xmas
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 10:15pm
Visitors - nah, don't do them, they whinge about the temperature wink

Ok, I turn the heating up for visitors but normally keep the place at a comfortable 12 degrees (centigrade)
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 10:18pm

Ok, I turn the heating up for visitors but normally keep the place at a comfortable 12 degrees (centigrade)
Ha Ha ,like the don`t do them ha , god 12 sounds low ,ours is 17 now and that feels a bit cold , laugh
Posted By: chriskay Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 10:22pm

Why do you say that? I got the same prices from u-switch and a cashback.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 10:27pm
Energyhelpline also do a cash back.

I checked a number of prices on a few of the comparison sites, most hadn't updated the figures for some of the energy companies which meant that they were coming up with false "cheapest" results. Energyhelpline was fully up to date including one company that had only put their prices up the day before.

Its some time now since the big price hikes, I guess most of the comparison sites have eventually caught up.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 10:36pm
Of course you can do a comparison with one site but switch with another to maximise any cashbacks.
Posted By: 1971efc Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 16th Dec 2011 11:21pm
just one payment all year round of £60 a month direct debit duel fuel with scottish power covers my gas and lecky,, just me here as working during the daytime
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 17th Dec 2011 8:40am

12 degrees centigrade- 53.6 fahrenheit !!! Comfortable???? for a flippin' eskimo maybe.You must wear a snuggie and a wooly hat.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 17th Dec 2011 8:59am
£90 per month. All electric. Storage Heating. Too far in the sticks for mains gas. Exposed 3 bed bungalow in the fields/moors sitting at 725'ASL. Gets the full blast of the Westerly wind with no shelter. Cool and refreshing in Winter. I aim for 16C/61F. Only addition is a coal/wood/peat open fire - usually weekends and visitors only! grin
Posted By: Maisie Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 17th Dec 2011 9:56am
I live in a 3 bed house, 2 adults & 2 children. Only me home through the day and I tend not to put the heating on till the kids come home from school.
Funnily enough I've just had my gas statement dated 15th April 2011 - 11th December 2011. I know for a fact that I will be phoning Scottish Power on Monday morning. My total charges for that period £339.55. Now I know that towards the end of May till the beginning of November I do not use the central heating.
Will definitely be looking at changing my gas supplier!!!

Posted By: Bezzymate Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 17th Dec 2011 10:28am
Interesting, Salmon. We live in a 4 bed detatched, 3 adults. Heating is only on 2 hrs in the morning and 6 hrs in the evening. £240 a month for both. Mr Bezzy has been looking at getting a combi boiler but, at £5,000 it takes a bit of thinking about. Reading your post makes it a good investment in the long term.
Originally Posted by Salmon
We are in 3 bed detached house, just the 2 of us,my wife likes the place very warm, we got new combi boiler in 2 years ago and loft insulated 18 months ago. We are with British Gas and pay £40 elec and £65 gas per month, both were in credit at end of November. We are in quite a bit of the time but heating is on from 7AM till 11PM each day.
Posted By: rocks Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 17th Dec 2011 12:19pm
from reading all the posts us british gas customers are paying less than most or are we just more thrifty ha
Posted By: Salmon Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 17th Dec 2011 7:56pm
To Bezzymate
We got our combi boiler from British Gas with an offer on that they paid our gas bill for 1st year so it worked out around £2,300.Our next door neighbour just got one and had it installed by a local gas fitter for around £1800. His is a 3 bed bungalow and obviously I have no idea what their bills are. What I am trying to say in a very long winded way is that it should not cost £5,000 for a new boiler but clearly depends on size of house.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 17th Dec 2011 9:04pm
Thankyou Salmon, will let Mr Bezzy know!
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 17th Dec 2011 9:19pm
Just me, retired, in small dormer semi. £65 per month total for gas and elec with Scottish Power and £230 in credit.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 12:23pm
@paxvo. That's sounds quite an acceptable sum in these days of rip-off prices by the energy firm's cartel! Well done.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 12:28pm
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum
Just me, retired, in small dormer semi. £65 per month total for gas and elec with Scottish Power and £230 in credit.

I'm about the same paxvobiscum

Posted By: poodlepup Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 12:46pm
I was paying £98 a month for gas and leccy,3 bed modern end terrace,but i ended up £400 in credit in october,they have now reduced my payments to £74 amonth.
I have heating on constantly from 8am til 10pm,so i could possibly save more if i could get used to wearing wooly jumpers!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 12:57pm
I think I'll vacate the shack in the hills and come down to the town!!! Much cheaper energy bills.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 1:05pm
Hi Pinz,we could do a straight swap if you want,i'd love a shack away from the rat race!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 1:32pm
Hi pp. You may have yourself a deal!. Mindyou, the grass is always greener etc. etc.....
Posted By: poodlepup Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 1:35pm
Haha yeah with my luck at the moment,it would turn out to be a muddy bog!!
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 1:49pm
I take it you are all taking advantage of the Warmer Wirral scheme?.

http://www.warmerwirral.org.uk/

My mother had her loft and walls insulated last year and I had my walls done in February all for free. It makes a lot of difference.

Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 5:37pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
@paxvo. That's sounds quite an acceptable sum in these days of rip-off prices by the energy firm's cartel! Well done.

The radiators are on the lowest setting.Sometimes don't have heating on all day so also wear a big soft dressing gown and sit and read with a hot water bottle in my lap.

In middle of winter heating on all day and sometimes all night if it is bitter weather.

I also use the water in my hot water bottle the next morning for hand washing.

Was brought up never to waste food and not to buy what you could not afford. It's a question of needs not wants.
I lead a simple life and am very happy. Now and then I splash out on a holiday, but that's about all.Have always gone to great lengths to live within my means to the point of going without.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 6:12pm
That is a sensible way of doing things paxvo. Cutting your cloth etc.etc. Filling a large flask full of water boiled in the cheap rate sees me through most of the day for mugs of coffee etc. Just enough water in the kettle for what you want.If cold in the house, my first thought is an extra layer before I think of reaching for the thermostat.

Living within one's means seems to be going out of fashion with a lot of folk, or so it seems.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 18th Dec 2011 6:22pm

Living within one's means seems to be going out of fashion with a lot of folk, or so it seems.

Thank you Pinzgauer. I was beginning to think, in this crazy world, that I was the only one on the planet that thought this way.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 19th Dec 2011 5:23pm
We live in a 3 bed detached-4 adults.Paying 95 leccy & 75 gas.Like everyone else the central heating is on (4 ours in morning and 4 at night) during the winter,but leccy use is fairly constant through the year.The house is lagged to within an inch of its life and we use energy saving bulbs.Looking at what some of you are paying just confirms my suspicion that British Gas are ripping everyone off.Things aren't too bad at the moment as the wife and I both work but my sympathy goes to the low paid and pensioners.The Government can help quite easily by abolishing VAT on fuel for pensioners at least (it was the last Tory government that had the bright idea putting the tax on fuel)-obviously there's no way on earth the fuel suppliers will reduce their prices.
Also if anyone is thinking of having a central heating system installed-shop around local firms-but stick to the longer established companies.British Gas are very expensive!
Posted By: Lando Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 26th Dec 2011 12:40pm
110 a month, 3 bed detached working family, out in day home evenings and weekends
Posted By: puligan Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 8th Jan 2012 5:56pm
Originally Posted by poodlepup
I was paying £98 a month for gas and leccy,3 bed modern end terrace,but i ended up £400 in credit in october.
I have heating on constantly from 8am til 10pm,so i could possibly save more if i could get used to wearing wooly jumpers!!

Who are you with? My heating is on a similar time and I am with E-on, I pay £160 per month for both.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 8th Jan 2012 6:22pm
Originally Posted by puligan
Originally Posted by poodlepup
I was paying £98 a month for gas and leccy,3 bed modern end terrace,but i ended up £400 in credit in october.

Who are you with? My heating is on a similar time and I am with E-on, I pay £160 per month for both.

I'm with scottish power on a fixed tarrif from last year,and i don't use a lot of electric,and only have heating on in 1 bedroom
My boiler is a worcester,it may be more economical because of that??
Posted By: granny Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 8th Jan 2012 6:56pm
Hi, yet another who thinks energy prices are abhorent!
4 bed semi of which I don't have heating on in bedrooms(unless it's like last winter, freezing) £100 for gas with British Gas. Scottish power for electricity which I was paying £38 a month. They wanted to increase my Direct Debit to £50. To which I told them that would no longer apply. I cancelled the payment and now pay when it is billed. Works out at approx £30 a month. My need is greater than theirs.
Britis Gas of course is just a trade name used by Centrica(big company)in the UK. and it 'agreed' to buy 20% of it's gas from EDF which is a totally French stateowned EDF SA. No wonder it's costing so much for us all. Have a look on British Gas PLC on Wikipedia. Amazing to see what's gone on over the years.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 8th Jan 2012 7:17pm
If I posted what I think of the big 6 energy suppliers and their obscene profits...... I'd collect the biggest ban yet from Mark!

Shall we say that they can all go away in short, sharp, jerky movements! (Sorry Mark - thin ice I guess!)
Posted By: granny Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 8th Jan 2012 7:24pm
If I posted what I think of the big 6 energy suppliers and their obscene profits...... I'd collect the biggest ban yet from Mark!

Shall we say that they can all go away in short, sharp, jerky movements! (Sorry Mark - thin ice I guess!)

I would defend you if it came to it, just add a few choice words for me too. The worst of all is the fact that as a country we are very damp and our homes need to be warm all the time. The chimney breast from coal fires would warm the whole of the house but not any longer. All gas fires, before that storage heaters which were also a con. If I said what I felt about the French and their control of all the utilities and insurance companies I would blow a gasket.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 9th Jan 2012 8:32am
i use gas for heating/cooking and electricity for lighting etc

im on a key meter for electricity so what i dont get is why my electricity cost so much more during the winter months... ok lights are on a bit more frequently but theres no way my elecy usage doubles ! strange how tarriffs go up in late autumn....yet never come down.....robbing barrstewards
Posted By: Nigel Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 9th Jan 2012 8:37am
Originally Posted by jabber

im on a key meter for electricity so what i dont get is why my electricity cost so much more during the winter months... ok lights are on a bit more frequently but theres no way my elecy usage doubles ! strange how tarriffs go up in late autumn....yet never come down.....robbing barrstewards

The cheapest way to buy Gas and Electricity is on a Web managed (paperless) Dual fuel account paying by direct debit for example Websaver 13 (British gas) I am not saying that BG is the cheapest before anyone jumps on band wagon, I am saying Dual fuel web based tarrifs may be.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 9th Jan 2012 8:49am
yeah i can appreciate that but i dont own the property and the eleccy meter has to stay thumbsdown
Posted By: granny Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 9th Jan 2012 10:28am
Originally Posted by jabber

Does the tariff on your meter have to have the setting changed if prices go up or down? I am not sure how they operate these days. Years ago the meter tariff could be set by the landlord and they were ripping everyone off. Check it out!
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 9th Jan 2012 12:33pm
no its not the landlord its whoever we get the eleccy off that sets the tariffs. My landlord is actually a realy nice guy , only see him when we have a problem, he just leaves long term tenants be.
Posted By: nuddy Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 20th Jan 2012 9:51pm
click here for £120 off your leccy bill !
(if you qualify!)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: gas and electricity bills each month - 1st Feb 2012 2:59pm
I'm with npower, sign online 21. Bill is about £25 per month, dual fuel. The estimated annual cost was actually £236 (pre-price rise) next cheapest at the time was £177 more expensive. Sign online 21 was pulled within a few weeks and replaced by 22, and then 23 etc, which both gradually got less and less good value (23 introduced a daily standing charge for gas). The next cheapest tariff atm, will be approx £115 more expensive than the SO21 tariff.

Have scammed them though, told them I use gas, but the meter is capped off. Have never used it since the place was only built in 2010 and is always 18 degrees+. Electric stove/oven, solar power for hot water and other things, so no need for gas. The reason I told them I use both, is because I will get £100 credit in April (after 12 months) (would have only been £40 for electric alone). I have been paying £20 on electric and £5 on gas. The £60 for gas will be given back to me.

But they sent me an estimated bill for gas (£12 lol) last month, so I phoned up to query it, gave them my latest reading, and they sent £50 goodwill cheque the other day following a letter of apology a few weeks ago.

I was expecting to pay ~£300 for between March last year and April this year, but based on current usage, it looks like it will be ~£280. subtract from that the £100 credit and the £50 goodwill gesture, my bill will have come to £130 for the entire year.

Not bad. And npower have constantly gone out of their way to help me (had an erroneous transfer of my gas meter which they sorted out for me, absolutely no hassle for me at all).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral